PDA

View Full Version : Market for hunter ponies

Laura855
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:18 AM
I know that the market in general is down but I was wondering if ponies are selling at all and at what price ranges. I came across a really nice large that is very reasonably priced as it needs a bit more show experience. It's absolutely darling, very good jump and brave not spooky, quiet, not the hack winner but good mover, showed on the line with success when younger (it's 7 now). The trainer that has the pony was asking my trainer if she had anyone as it's such a nice pony and the owners really want it sold ASAP. My trainer doesn't have any kids right now that need a pony but I started to think that it could be a fun project for me since I can easily fit on a large pony.

Never having done a pony before I wanted to know if there is a need for a pony like this and what it would be priced at once it has some mileage in the show ring? It's definitely a quality pony and is already easy to ride and I do have a very good junior that can show it. Pony experts, what do you think?

gasrgoose
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:27 AM
You will have a good idea on the condition of the pony market after the Pony finals auction this week.

But, If you are not a junior, you wouldn't be able to give the pony valuable "show miles" IMO. You may very well be able to train the pony and improve it, but just not show it. You'll need a junior to do that for you. If the pony is elligible green, it might be worth trying.

As for price, not enough info. It's really difficult to price a pony without seeing it with a child rider and knowing it's show history.

LetsRide
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:40 AM
You will have a good idea on the condition of the pony market after the Pony finals auction this week.

But, If you are not a junior, you wouldn't be able to give the pony valuable "show miles" IMO. You may very well be able to train the pony and improve it, but just not show it. You'll need a junior to do that for you. If the pony is elligible green, it might be worth trying.

As for price, not enough info. It's really difficult to price a pony without seeing it with a child rider and knowing it's show history.

:no:

Adults can and do show ponies. Schooling shows up to AA rated (USEF/USHJA) shows. ANY unrated division, where the rules do not prohibit it, adults can and do show ponies including jumpers. Read the show premium/prize list. If you do show USEF/USHJA be sure to read all of the rules regarding ponies (an adult and a junior cannot show a pony at the same show).

I think the market is soft for ponies just as it is for horses. However, I always hear that there are never enough good large ponies around. :)

Canadapony
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:46 AM
:no:
However, I always hear that there are never enough good large ponies around. :)

Good, I have to sell mine next year and I too was/am worried about the market

findeight
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:58 AM
The market for Hunter Ponies that have proven they are Hunter Ponies in the show ring and can be ridden by a child is fine.

Adults can ride Ponies but they are not going to be the one's paying the big bucks and they cannot get the kind of mileage against quality Ponies that will tell if it's worth more then average or not. Only a kid riding it will do that.

In this case, without meaning to offend any breeders but...nobody looking to buy a Pony Hunter gelding for a child really cares if it won on the line 4 or 5 years ago...what did it do last week and can my kid jump it around are the questions you needs answers for.

That's what you need to market-child ridden in shows against other Ponies. Those are the only things that really matter to the average Pony buyer.

I am guessing the PF auction will do just fine as almost all of them are already jumping under child riders and the buyer's kids can try them out. Those that are not are just too young but are well started.

gasrgoose
Aug. 3, 2009, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=LetsRide;4280148]:no:

Adults can and do show ponies. Schooling shows up to AA rated (USEF/USHJA) shows. ANY unrated division, where the rules do not prohibit it, adults can and do show ponies including jumpers. Read the show premium/prize list. If you do show USEF/USHJA be sure to read all of the rules regarding ponies (an adult and a junior cannot show a pony at the same show). QUOTE]

That's great, and I am aware of this. But I don't need to read the rules regarding ponies to discuss the market condition and value of ponies. I'm part of the "market", I buy ponies for my daughter, trade them for her and currently have a 5 year old well bred large pony for sale. In my opinion adult show miles are not valuable show miles when it comes to selling a pony. They are training miles and might help develop/train a pony, but the results tell very little about how the pony will perform in the child pony market. As findeight mentioned if I can't see a child ride it or see show results from a child rider it is not really valuable.

For Example: Our large pony. The professional rider at our barn can and has shown our pony and she gets her changes and looks great. But the changes are not yet there for a child rider, sometimes they are sometimes they are not. So the value of the show miles with the pro are only training miles. People who are going to buy this pony don't want to know what an adult can get her to do, they want to see her results with a child.

Of course that is just my opinion.

Einstein
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:04 PM
In my area (north east) there's tons of ponies for sale and people are having a hard time selling them.:(

Meliora
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:11 PM
As others have posted...Whatever you claim the pony can do needs to be done by a junior, and for Regular divsions- within the age limits set forth by USEF. I am curious to see what the auction brings.

VirginiaBred
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:17 PM

Not necessarily. This auction is in no way reflective of the economy, good or bad.

skyy
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:13 PM
Why is that?

VirginiaBred
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:17 PM
Why is that?

There are a number of agents that always have the high seller, year after year. There is also a lot of hype that goes into this sale and prices have been inflated in the past.

VirginiaBred
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:19 PM
While I feel that in general prices are down across the nation, there will always be a strong market for a solid pony performer, regardless of the economic situation. We have sold every for sale pony we have, this year.

bluetiger
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:09 PM
The market is definately soft right now. Lots of nice ponies are taking a hit on their pricetag! Yes, you can still sell a fancy pony that will go around nicely with a kid but even just last year the same type of pony was more than likely at least 15-20K more.
You can ride it but even if it is eligible green you will need a kid to ride it in children's pony (more than likely at your expense) before you set out for the greens. Not saying I wouldn't do it, but don't expect to flip it without putting some $$ into it.

Laura855
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the responses. I didn't plan on showing it myself, and do have several child riders in the barn that could ride for me. I totally understand that the pony needs to be rideable for a child, not an adult. The pony is already quiet and easy enough for a child, just needs changes to be totally auto and needs to go out and show. I only mentioned the HB stuff because at least I know it has been exposed to the atmosphere of a show and has been around a bit rather than just sitting in a field. I know it doesn't add to the value for a child's pony. I don't have anything to ride right now so I just thought it might be an option and a good deal on a nice pony. I never had a pony as a kid, maybe I am desperately trying to relive my youth? Midlife crisis?

Windswept Stable
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:49 PM
The market is awful this year, but if you have time to invest in it--go for it. Make sure you get a GREAT price when you buy it. I am very cheap when it comes to long term resales. This being long term--as the market is not good now. Of course, never say never--you may get lucky and flip it in short order..but dont count on it. As someone said, NO ONE cares about the on the line stuff years ago. Its here and now. A show record will help you sell it. Good Luck.

poltroon
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:39 PM
There's nothing wrong with buying a pony for yourself because you like it. :D If you like riding it and it can do classes that you want to do, why not?

kylie888
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:18 PM
ponies are cute..:)

Windswept Stable
Aug. 4, 2009, 07:05 AM
One more thing-- how big is the pony? Does it have a perm. card since its 7?

findeight
Aug. 4, 2009, 01:51 PM
One more thing-- how big is the pony? Does it have a perm. card since its 7?

I didn't think of that and it is probably one of the biggest issues. This one does not have a permanent card if he has not shown in years-that will influence your offer if you go ahead and buy him. Any claims of 14.1 or better you might want to make contingent on an official remeasure or you will be stuck. Especially for resale.

Anything that measures under 14.1 is also going to be a tougher resell and may have a little trouble with step at a big rated...and I hear so much of "oh, he can make the step" but when you see them, not quite.

Just remember that official height can add a zero to the price for a top of the line Pony. And minus up to that zero as you drop below 14.1. So get that taken care of and don't trust the seller unless they have an official stick and you can measure him yourself 3 times with the same result.