PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Horse Center: where do you stay & why?

curiousgirl
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'm looking for a decent place to stay in Lexington that's clean, safe, and fairly priced. Where do you like to stay? Are there any hotels you'd stay away from?

NCtoCO
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:20 AM
My favorite hotel is the Hampton Inn Col Alto because it is very clean and has a nice breakfast, but it is farther away and often more expensive than several others.

When the Hampton Inn is booked, I try to book the Country Inn and Suites, Wingate, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, Best Western at Hunt Ridge, or the Holiday Inn Express, all of which are close to the horse center.

horsegirl123
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:34 AM
The Sleep Inn and Best Western are really close and convenient. You might want to check on the horse center's website under accomodations for Reliable. They may have a discounted rate for the Horse Center and Rose is wonderful to deal with.

TheOneandOnly
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:41 AM
I'm a big fan of the hunt ridge. Love that its so close with a pool and breakfast. When we can't get the hunt ridge we go with the hampton inn that's about 5 minutes away. Very nice beds and continental breakfast. I don't think its too difficult to go wrong there although the HoJo is a bit shady

TheOneandOnly
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:06 AM
Horsegirl123, I think I've been hearing rumors that Rose is no longer with Reliable Reservations =[ she was very helpful and sweet but she left us! But then again I don't know for sure.

Curiousgirl, what show are you looking to stay for?

KnKShowmom
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:23 AM
Sleep Inn - nice rooms, close to VHC and great breakfast bar included -

Call Reliable for best rates.

TheOrangeOne
Aug. 3, 2009, 01:15 PM
Agreed on the Hampton Inn when I can afford it. Beds are comfortable, great cookies when you check in, nice breakfast. Hunt Ridge is decent but I won't spend more than 75 a night for the place, it's not always as clean feeling with the carpets and bedspreads and the beds aren't as comfortable, but for a horse show hotel it suits. For somewhere really cheap, the days inn about 15 minutes away on the other side of lexington is about 50 a night and is clean and comfortable, just dated and the nice family who runs the place considerately made it so the walls have some kind of coating where they can be wiped down.

cbiscuit
Aug. 3, 2009, 02:31 PM
At the Best Western (Hunt Ridge) you get a rubber duckie and breakfast at G. Willikers! What's not to like?

Also and perhaps most importantly, you don't have to sneak in your dog.

And the carpets are dirty because there's a horse show there! I can't complain about dirty carpets when it's my dirt. Especially when the people are so helpful and friendly.

copper1
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:59 AM
We usually bring an RV but Holiday Inn Express is my favorite-close, with breakfast. Applebees and a Dairy Queen and gas station right at the end of their driveway. (Rubber duckies there too!) HOJo's-not good though cheaper.

scotchie
Aug. 4, 2009, 07:09 AM
I like the Wingate- really comfy beds, nice continental breakfast and so close.

KnKShowmom
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:01 AM
Ok, so how have I missed out on the rubber duckies????? :(

curiousgirl
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:05 PM
Horsegirl123, I think I've been hearing rumors that Rose is no longer with Reliable Reservations =[ she was very helpful and sweet but she left us! But then again I don't know for sure.

Curiousgirl what show are you looking to stay for?

Great ideas and suggestions everyone, thanks!

TheOneandOnly I'm coming down for Lex National...

horsegirl123
Aug. 7, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Rose is no longer with us. She was always so helpful which makes me think I should confirm my reservations with the hotel directly for Finals. Thanks for the heads up.

BellaLuna
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:53 PM
A few years ago while on a family trip in Lexington, when we arrived with a reservation at the Best Western, Hunt Ridge, we were informed by the desk clerk that we had been no shows the prior 2 nights for our rooms - 2 rooms, 2 nights. They had vacancies to put us up that night, and we went down the next morning, spoke to the manager, gave her the confirmation number and were assured that it was an error on their part. Stayed our next night, checked out, went on our way. Surprise! Our American Express was charged for 4 nights, 2 rooms. I tried for over 3 months to get that corrected. I spoke to everyone on the food chain, absolutely no respect or assistance from Best Western. I ended up just paying the bill as American Express doesn't like it too much when you don't pay. :no:

pinkpolkadot491
Aug. 7, 2009, 11:01 PM
I stay at the Country Inn and Suites. It's comfortable, clean, reasonably priced and the rooms are big. There's an indoor pool. Despite the many times I've been there, I've never had the energy at the end of the day to go swim. The continental breakfast leaves something to be desired, but who has time for that anyway? HAHA. The staff is always very accomodating and friendly.

I've stayed at both BWs, Super 8, Holiday Inn Express, Howard Johnson (waaaay down 11), and a couple others. BW Hunt Ridge is over-rated (however, I did like the duckie!:lol:). In the end, I'd just like a comfortable, clean place to sleep.