PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Shopping

T-storm chick
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hey guys! Just got a new horse that my saddle doesn't fit (of course.) I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have a trailer, so using a custom saddle fitter is probably not an option. I also don't have $4000 to spend on a new totally custom saddle right now, so---anybody have any ideas on saddles that will fit a wide-backed, higher withered horse? Any good/bad experiences with adjustable gullets? The horse is a 16:3 Holsteiner/Appendix cross gelding that weighs about 1200-1300 pounds. My budget is in the $1500-2000 range. Thanks in advance for all your advice and suggestions!

hongkong
Dec. 1, 2011, 01:20 AM
passier fit a large range of horses- you can probably find a used one for that price. I have seen it fit on shark finned TBs and also wide backed warmbloods.

Another option: selleria equipe- great for the price, made in the same factory as amerigos and vegas. The tree shape is like a cross of amerigo cc (high wither) and dj (wide back warmbloods). will basically fit anything. You might even be able to find a new selleria equipe at a bit over $2000!

dogrider
Dec. 3, 2011, 02:43 PM
there are some great deals on Ebay!
take a look

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330645959230?ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649:D

shohanna
Dec. 4, 2011, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I second EBay. I have purchased several including my Tad Coffin which I love and fits both my girls (who are totally different). I never thought a saddle would make so much difference until I started riding in this one. I have two very nice Crosby saddles that I am going to put on EBay....I have bought so much from EBay but never really sold so I am anxious to try.

js
Dec. 4, 2011, 11:20 AM
I have a Pessoa A/O Pro. Absolutely love it and love the Bayflex panels. Fits my TB who has a wide flat back perfect. She is fairly straight from withers to croup so the tree will fit a straight back horse better. She has very low withers though, so don't know if the same saddle would work for your horse.

Other saddles I tried at were:

Ovation Competition Jumping saddle XCH, was a bit more curve to the tree, and didn't work for my horse but for the price I thought it was a nice saddle.

Bates Evaluation: Great fit, didn't care for the CAIR and the leather was really stiff, I see that they are offering flocked in some of their saddles now.

I personally like the XCH gullets, granted you are only adjusting one aspect of the saddles fit, it still gives you some flexibility.

ivy62
Dec. 4, 2011, 11:40 AM
I have a tb with mt witherist and a well sprung rib cage and my l'apogee fits beautifully. You can find one used in your price range. Good luck, saddle shopping is almost worse then horse shopping....

T-storm chick
Dec. 4, 2011, 10:25 PM
Ha ha...where did this get dredged up from? I actually got a steal of a deal (Ebay!) on a Schleese Hunter Pleasure saddle which I love. It's a great saddle for me. The fit for the horse is not perfect right now, but we are making it work with strategic padding. Once I manage to get a bit more topline on him, I will get the tree adjusted. Thanks for the suggestions!