PDA

View Full Version : What do you love at shows?

Trakehner
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:17 AM
I was thinking about the "what do you hate at shows" forum, and was recalling the nice things.

--Great stalls, large enough, good water sources and outlets for fans already there.

--Muck wheelbarrows and forks provided for cleaning stalls.

--Parking reasonably close with enough room to space out a bit.

--Wide areas to pull in and out...some show grounds are a real challenge with a 4 horse head-to-head.

--I remember one show in England where we had lunches provided for each rider and groom (cucumber sandwiches, cheeses, fruit etc. and wine/beer) and carrots for the horses in their own treat bag. Was that a nice surprise.

--A PA system where you could actually hear the announcements.

--Great ring stewards who kept everything running on time...it was nice to be done at 4:00 vs. 8:00.

EquitationRider
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:23 AM
good parking (like you said)

nice stalls

clean bathrooms and vacilitys

large arenas

people in the same asile that sweep and clean up after themselves.

good food...not the greasy crap

good food that is resonably priced! i was at a show the other week were a freaking hamburger and fries was $9.50 with a drink it was $10.50. i just left and picked something up!

nice helpful workers

a nicely run show office that have the information you want.

copper1
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:29 AM
WOW! I think you two posters want to show in heaven! Would be wonderful to have all of that in one place!

Trixie
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:17 AM
Just being there :)

I'll add in a gate staff that moves things along and a safe schooling ring.

EquitationRider
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:18 AM
WOW! I think you two posters want to show in heaven! Would be wonderful to have all of that in one place!

its true..if im paying a lot of money to show, i want it to be nice! but it hardly happens... but thats the horse show life for ya

JumpWithPanache
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:44 AM
I'll add that I love good footing that is well-prepped in the morning and maintained during the show day as needed; i.e., watering and dragging!

Trees4U
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:48 AM
The "afterglow" of a class well done...;)

gasrgoose
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:35 AM
The smile on the daughters face!! It is the only reason we do this crazy sport.

see u at x
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:42 AM
When my horse is good, even though we don't get a ribbon. :)
The comraderie and fun at some of the schooling shows between competitors.
When you forget your mounting block and someone lets you borrow theirs or they're kind enough to give you a leg up.
Quality food that is inexpensive.
When there is lots of shade to park under.
When there is a good ring steward and jump crew.

horsegirl123
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:52 AM
Socializing with good friends.

Good SPORTSMANSHIP!!!

Trakehner
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:54 AM

I've been very lucky to have shown in some wonderful venues and really miss how they treated us...and too often how "uncivilized and unappreciated" the riders and fans are treated. It doesn't take that much more to make it a wonderful experience for all involved, it's all attitude.

I was the barn manager for one driving show at Morven Park. I provided the same sort of lunches (including cucumber sandwiches) and carrots for the horses. It's not hard to do, didn't cost that much (thanks Costco!) and hopefully people might see how it can be done and make sure they pass it on.

It's not heaven, it's a horse show...wait, it can be heaven with a little bit more effort.

Hunter Mom
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:14 AM
- Good footing
- Nice looking jumps - I get plain jane at home all the time.
- Gate folks who keep things going
- Workers who keep the facility nice - restrooms, common areas, etc.
- Food that doesn't make me need a new show wardrobe by the end of hte week, nor that I have to take out a second mortgage to afford.
- Hospitality rooms/areas
- Air conditioning!
- Show staff that follows the prize lists!

showmom858
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:50 PM
gasrgoose - I agree with you 100%. The best day for me as a mom is when my DD comes out of the ring with a big smile on her face and is hugging her horse. It makes everything else to do with horse shows worthwhile.

heygirlhey33
Aug. 3, 2009, 01:47 PM
After having 2 pretty great round, but not your best, having your mother slap you when they call you on top in both out of 40. I love shows that have derbys to watch. I love also shows that the stabling is not located about a 25 minute walk away (cough saratoga).

Basically Horse shows by the bay lived up to all my wishes, Close stabling, Great rings, Nice schooling areas, Classes running on time, Great prizes ( I won 600 bucks even durring my bad week) and lastly getting to go jetskiing and show all in the same day!

Jumperprincess
Aug. 3, 2009, 02:13 PM
Having an in-gate crew who keeps the show rolling. I hate waiting and waiting and the ring is empty

supershorty628
Aug. 3, 2009, 03:50 PM
This seems so little compared to what else has been posted, but I really like when the wash area is concrete as opposed to just gravel.

bear necessities
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:14 PM
I love it when you see people who clearly don't know each other help when someone is having an issue. This past weekend a woman offered to let me put my horse in her trailer instead of having to hike back to mine while we waited for a bunch of medal classes to finish before my division. I was so shocked she offered I just kind of looked at her then my trainer said sure!! :D

AppendixQHLover
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:20 PM
1. Good parking. I am getting better with backing my trailer but it is hard to navigate around cars/kids/and dogs.

2. Food that isn't greasy.

3. I dispise porto-potties but will deal with it if they are clean.

relocatedTXjumpr
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:23 PM
A good gate crew makes all the difference in the world!!

We did a small jumper night many eons ago. All the entries received goody bags when they checked in. A bag of horse treats, some hard candy, a monogrammed snot rag, and a hoof pick.

Granted, it was a small show, but still...it made you feel like they actually appreciated you spending your money to show with them!

hellerkm
Aug. 3, 2009, 05:34 PM
Two things can make or break my day
Please Please Please give me clean toilets!
and really the whole reason i am there in the first place:
HAPPY KIDS! Even if we are just there to watch and learn, they are usually happy to be there, if we are riding they are THRILLED to be there!