PDA

View Full Version : needlepoint belts

LauraAU
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:03 PM
Can anyone tell me where to find the cute canvases for equestrian themed needlepoint belts?

Release First
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:28 PM
This is just a start #1 (http://www.needlepointshop.com/) and #2 (http://www.needlepointheaven.com)

LauraAU
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:56 PM
thanks!

Zu Zu
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:54 PM
The Sign of the Arrow -- Clayton Rd. St. Louis *** they have a web site. Very cool place and friendly, knowlegeable people.

make x it x so
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:14 PM
Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know of a place to get equestrian belt canvases that AREN'T over $100. Given my inexperience at needlepoint, I would hate to spend that kind of money on a belt that I am going to mess up (even if I knew I wasn't going to mess up, to me $160+ is a lot for a 'do it yourself' kit).

That being said, I LOVE needlepoint belts and really want one so anyone with suggestions on where to get them cheap(er) would be much appreciated.

Two Black Cats
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:45 AM
Make it X - while their belts are typically over $100 (somewhere in the $125-135 range, I think) check out Smathers & Branson's website (www.smathersandbranson.com) for belts that are already completed. Given my needlepoint skills, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a fancy canvas either, and would rather spend the $$ on something that is expertly finished.

May or may not answer your question, but thought that I'd send on the suggestion :)

CT Rider
Aug. 4, 2009, 11:58 AM
I used to do quite a bit of needlepoint while travelling. I was lucky enough to have a fantastic needlepoint shop by my house- actually 3 of them- but below are two good online retailers.

http://www.needlepointalley.com/canvases-designer_belts.html
http://www.needlepointheaven.com/needlepoint-belts.html

Finishing can be done through them, or I have a couple other finishers I have come across, running from $40 to $130.

It's certainly not a cheap project, but a long term investment. My belt has the colors of horses I have owned, my initials stitched in, custom hole placement to fit my barn jeans, etc.

Saskatoonian
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:03 PM
Just go to your local needlepoint shop, buy some canvas (I use 14 guage) and some yarn, and muck around til you've made what you like? It's a belt - you're not going to get tons of detail, so don't need to be Hopper or anything. I'm sure you can scare up letter patterns for free on the web so you can do your initials, or - again - just muck around! It's really easy, because if you don't like it, it comes out like a flash. Really, needlepoint is idiot proof. Take it to your local leather shop to turn into a belt. I think last time I did it it cost me about $50 total, and I ended up with a very fun belt (ok, several of them). :)

Foxtrot's
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:44 PM
Even I made a very handsosme pillow from needlepoint once. Very therapeutic (from the Motropolitan Museum of Art and not horsey.) If somebody from a place with a name like Saskatoon can make one..! :)

kdow
Aug. 4, 2009, 07:05 PM
Just go to your local needlepoint shop, buy some canvas (I use 14 guage) and some yarn, and muck around til you've made what you like? It's a belt - you're not going to get tons of detail, so don't need to be Hopper or anything. I'm sure you can scare up letter patterns for free on the web so you can do your initials, or - again - just muck around! It's really easy, because if you don't like it, it comes out like a flash. Really, needlepoint is idiot proof. Take it to your local leather shop to turn into a belt. I think last time I did it it cost me about $50 total, and I ended up with a very fun belt (ok, several of them). :)

Actually, if you have a photo or something you want to put on your needlepoint, you can use KnitPro here: http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro.htm to turn it into a grid for you. (Keep in mind that you'll probably have to do a bit of adjusting yourself as you go along to get something that looks just right, particularly on the edges of shapes and curves.) (When I used it for something, I actually took the gridded image it gave me and re-copied it onto graph paper by hand so I could tweak it a bit while I just had to erase mistakes. :) )

Even though it's called KnitPro, it does have an option for a 1:1 grid, which is what you want for needlepoint.

Nickelodian
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:57 AM
They often come up on Ebay for 30-40. There a lot of non-equestrian belts on there right now.

Saskatoonian
Aug. 5, 2009, 12:19 PM
Ha Foxtrot: I can't claim to be from Saskatoon, though I probably still have relatives there and DO have a friend. After breakfast with her one day, I borrowed the name for a lovely horse who needed one, because it's a lot of fun to say. ;)

Back to belts! I didn't look at this graphing thing - very high tech! If it's not free and you're a cheapskate like me, just slap the canvas over a picture and trace it on there. Easy. Though with a belt, really, you're not working with that much detail unless you use really fine guage canvas, which will take lots longer to do. If you're feeling sketchy on art, just put coolers on the little horses - very, very cute, colorful, and simple. Whatever you do, remember that the background is the boring part, so I try to minimize it.

OAK
Aug. 5, 2009, 12:43 PM
You can alway get in touch with Joy at The Joy of Needlepoint, She is great to work with and has a great selection. I have lots and lots of belts from her. As a matter of factI a doing one for Jimmy Lee. A race track belt.

Nickelodian
Aug. 5, 2009, 02:21 PM
One more thing to think about, you can buy canvas and Pearle Cotton thread for much cheaper than a kit. Find a local needlepoint store and they should have catalogs and catalogs full of belts to order from.