PDA

View Full Version : Hunter trainer in North Atlanta area?

OdhinnsMom
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hello!

I am looking for recommendations for hunter trainers in the Alpharetta/Milton area in Ga.

I have a horse who has been doing dressage for the last few years, and I would like to get him started over fences. He has been jumped exactly 1 time (which was uneventful!), but is balanced, light and responsive.

I have no aspirations to compete on the A circuit, and feel no need to go above 3'. I don't need a 'big name trainer', or a super fancy place, but do want someone knowledgeable, safe and CORRECT.

I am involved in the dressage community in the area, but don't know anything about the hunter trainers.

Thanks!

livinthedream
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:42 PM
"Correct Trainers" doing hunters in north Atlanta:

Julie Curtain - very pricey - no local shows
Sunny Stevens - very few if any locals
Carolyn Bell - some locals and some A's; strong junior career especially eq
Jonna Wilks - many locals with some A's; young with strong junior career
Julie Mohr - locals and A's; laid back
Kristie Dimarakis - very reasonable prices; strong junior carrer with Terry Brown; even tempered
Janet Salem - very pricey; mostly AA's; prefers active horse showing clients
Trina Blankenship - mostly into selling and training young horses
Terry Brown - very pricey - no locals

JMO - hope it helps

lovemyrobin
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:08 PM
Are you looking to board or trailer in?

Daniel Berrios--located at Mariposa Farms off of Arbor Hill Rd. Nice guy and incredible rider

OdhinnsMom
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:10 PM
Robin...I am looking for someone to send him to for 30 days, and then just trailer in for lessons. I have a great boarding place, but want him started over fences by someone who will do a great job.

He shouldn't be too hard, he is very balanced, has great rhythm, and is supple and super responsive...

Thanks for the list!

Madison
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:19 PM
Check out Heather Steinman Ray www.hms-jumpers.com -- she would be good at what you are looking for and provides a good foundation for them.

heygirlhey33
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:21 PM
This isnt exactly what the OP was going for. But my daddy might be moving us to GA to work on one of his companies. We were looking in the canton area for barns. At the moment I show in the childrens hunters at AA shows and am top 15 in the the country, I have my horse who would come, and am looking for a big eq horse for next year. Any suggestions for AA barns close by?

Summit Springs Farm
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:20 AM
"Correct Trainers" doing hunters in north Atlanta:

Julie Curtain - very pricey - no local shows I like Julie but she is on the road too much for to bring a horse along at home for 30 days
Sunny Stevens - very few if any locals- doesn't have a rider
Carolyn Bell - some locals and some A's; strong junior career especially eq- I like Carolyn for this, will do a good job
Jonna Wilks - many locals with some A's; young with strong junior career- I also like Jonna she will do a good job and give your horse excellent care and good communicator
Julie Mohr - locals and A's; laid back- doesn't have a rider excellent trainer too
Kristie Dimarakis - very reasonable prices; strong junior carrer with Terry Brown; even tempered- good rider
Janet Salem - very pricey; mostly AA's; prefers active horse showing clients- too busy on the road
Trina Blankenship - mostly into selling and training young horses- ditto
Terry Brown - very pricey - no locals- too busy on the road

JMO - hope it helps hope this helps too

livinthedream
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:02 AM
HeygirlHey33, Try www.newvintagefarm.com

lisa
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:07 AM
Which dressage trainer have you been riding with?

I have a young horse with Heather Ray.

livinthedream, do all of the trainers in your list do the babies...???

OP, please PM me with any specifics.

lovemyrobin
Aug. 3, 2009, 02:55 PM
Robin...I am looking for someone to send him to for 30 days, and then just trailer in for lessons. I have a great boarding place, but want him started over fences by someone who will do a great job.

He shouldn't be too hard, he is very balanced, has great rhythm, and is supple and super responsive...

Thanks for the list!

Are you wanting to jump the horse yourself, or have the trainer start the horse jumping, then take over after 30 days? Heather Ray is also a good reccomendation. Daniel has a large covered arena--no lost rainy days. And I think he is pretty reasonably priced. Both of them are active riders--you can google them, or google Alpharetta Intimidators--they are on the City League International jumping team.

Do not go to my old barn, PM me if you want details.........

tx3dayeventer
Aug. 3, 2009, 03:04 PM
I highly recommend Jonna Wilks!!!

http://www.wilkssporthorses.com/

Cannot say enough good things about her and her riding. She is so quiet and a wonderful teacher.

OdhinnsMom
Aug. 3, 2009, 03:42 PM
What I would prefer would be to have a part-time situation for at least a month, depending on how long my guy needs. My goal for him is to be a jack-of-all trades horse, at local level shows. He is solid through 1st level dressage, but just doesn't like it enough to be pushed up through the levels.

I would like to go somewhere where the hunter rider starts him over fences, until he is comfortable with his job, and I will continue to do flat work with him. Once he is comortable, I will take lessons with him to get me back into jumping. I did hunters 10+ years ago. I just want to make sure that his first experiences jumping are positive and rewarding, and NOT me accidentally punishing him by landing on his back, hitting him in the mouth OR being in a good position to push him forward if the idea of refusing ever occurs to him.

Rising Fawn is a little bit farther than I want to travel. I would prefer to stay in the Milton'ish' area, as I still plan on riding too.

I suspect he will be fun for a hunter rider. He is very balanced, athletic, sane, has a soft mouth, responds to very light aids and is quite adjustable in the canter....and I am not looking for him to be a 3'6" horse, just something that can safely go around 2'6 - 2'9, *maybe* doing 3' one day.

grandprix123
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:21 PM
Doesnt Chase Boggio ride in canton? Id say ride where ever he does seeing that hes unbelievably good

findeight
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:36 PM
Beware here...many trainers will not have 30 days in a row to stay home until after Indoors, or at least after the local circuits start to wind down for the year. This is not a good time of year to get any trainer that does any shows at any level pinned down for 4 weeks.

Mid October on is much better for the majority of them. over the winter is even better-unless they go to Florida for 6 or 8 weeks.

You will pay for 4 or 5 days a week for a month-let's be generous and say 5 days to give you 20 rides for your money. Most trainers will be lucky to give you 12 to 15 absolute top and, IME, anything new does require that extra riding time. They will be polishing flatwork and introducing low grids and fences and doing alot of review building on the previous sessions work and that will require some time committment on their part. time they do not have.

Something that won't happen if they are gone Friday AM to late Sunday and take Monday off (as they should). They will only have Tues, Wed, Thu to work yours. IF they can get to him. Less if they go all week to the AAs.

So be careful that either they or a qualified assistant trainer (NOT some kid taking a lesson on it-you can do that yourself) will actually be there to do this for you before you pick a place. It's a HUGE question to ask so be sure to ask it.

APirateLooksAtForty
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:46 PM
Chase Boggio keeps his horses at home.

What about Elizabeth Warmington?

Summit Springs Farm
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:19 PM
Jonna also trainers out of Summit View Farm, my sister farm:) which is in Milton and absolutely beautiful and has great turnout and some dressage riders already riding out of there, I don't know them personally, I guess I should since were are neighbors, but I see them riding at like 6:30 am so dedicated!
A beautiful ring and an INDOOR ring too. And jumping field

OdhinnsMom
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the tips so far!

Find Eight...great advice. Thanks :)

livinthedream
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:58 PM
Find Eight. . .you pretty much covered it all!

xxreddxheaddxx
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:43 PM
I think you should try carolyn bell... www.fortitudefarm.com. she LOVES starting horses and i have personally seen her take dressage horses into her program and turn out to be quite spectacular hunters. I rode with her for a few yrs until being forced to moved and could not have possibly been at a better barn :] she is very flexible and you could definately trailer in for lessons.