PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain USDF shows to me?

case solved
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:39 PM
I am an eventing convert to dressage and am planning on heading to a USDF recognized show next month but the entry form and show bill are confusing me a little bit. It is a regional championship show but I have not yet ridden in a USDF show to qualify so I will only be showing in open classes that are not championship. The show bill says that in order to make your test a qualifying ride you must indicate it with a "Q" on the entry form and pay an extra $10 dollars for the class, plus not be included in placings with the rest of the class. Can someone explain this to me? Plus any extra advice about recognized shows in general would be great. I've done lots of recognized events with dressage and have all the appropriate attire, know how to braid, and have an FEI trainer. Thanks!

quietann
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:51 PM
I can't say anything about the Q rides (it is some sort of medals program I think.)

But -- dressage shows are similar to eventing in that everything runs on a schedule. It is very rare to get behind schedule. More common is getting ahead of schedule, but you may choose not to do your test until your assigned time. I just did this this morning when my mare was very tight going to the right and the show was running 8 minutes ahead. (Ring stewards may grumble, but it is your right.)

I would say, based on my somewhat limited experience, that dressage people are not so friendly and helpful as eventers -- but if you're in a jam, ask around for help. Part of it is that many people are only there for their tests; there isn't as much waiting around (read time to socialize) as there is at events.

Also -- if you are warming up with upper level riders, you'll probably find the warm-up arena rather annoying as they need a lot of space. But remember, they are good riders and usually will notice if you get in their way. Warm-up was actually the most friendly part of the show I was at today.

eventing-n-SD
Aug. 2, 2009, 07:03 PM
I am an eventing convert to dressage and am planning on heading to a USDF recognized show next month but the entry form and show bill are confusing me a little bit. It is a regional championship show but I have not yet ridden in a USDF show to qualify so I will only be showing in open classes that are not championship. The show bill says that in order to make your test a qualifying ride you must indicate it with a "Q" on the entry form and pay an extra $10 dollars for the class, plus not be included in placings with the rest of the class. Can someone explain this to me? Plus any extra advice about recognized shows in general would be great. I've done lots of recognized events with dressage and have all the appropriate attire, know how to braid, and have an FEI trainer. Thanks!

To qualify for year-end awards through USDF, you pay the extra $10. Here's a link to USDF's performance award programs: http://www.usdf.org/awards/performance/index.asp

I am not sure about not being included in the placings. That's not how we do it at our shows.

Good luck at the show!

Applecore
Aug. 2, 2009, 07:51 PM
Ack! Some misinformation and confusion here.

--The Q rides are to designate a ride, at the highest test of the level (e.g. Training 4) as a qualifyer for USDF regional championships (NOT any local/GMO champs, at least that I know of). You need to get two scores on Q rides above a certain minimum for the level/division as well as meet the membership eligibility requirements. The qualifying season runs from the closing date of entries for the 2008 regional championships to the closing date of entries for the 2009 regional championships. So if this show is the 2009 regional championship, its too late to qualify for '09, but could get a qualifying score for '10.
Info on regional championships: http://www.usdf.org/docs/competitions/regionals/RCProgramRules.pdf

--The qualifying class is an ADDITIONAL class for the SAME ride. So, you will be placed in your normal open/AA/JRYR division with everyone who rode that test. In addition in the results sent to USDF it will be shown that you entered a qualifying class. Since its the same ride, show managers only place the full class, including the Qs, but do not place the Qs separately in addition.

--The Qs ARE NOT necessary to qualify for USDF year-end awards. To qualify for USDF year-end awards, you need to be a *participating* member - not a group USDF member, and meet all the other registration and # of score requirements. USDF year-end awards are calculated based on all the tests from the level, not just the highest one.

--The Qs are also not necessary for rider awards (bronze, silver and gold medals) - these only require that the rider be a group or participating member at the time the scores are earned. The USDF site isn't clear whether the horse and owner also need to be members at time scores are earned.

In short, the Qs are only for regional championships - no awards. They are simply an 'extra class' for the same ride, mostly as a bookkeeping measure.

eventing-n-SD
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:02 PM
Ack! Some misinformation and confusion here.

--The Q rides are to designate a ride, at the highest test of the level (e.g. Training 4) as a qualifyer for USDF regional championships (NOT any local/GMO champs, at least that I know of). You need to get two scores on Q rides above a certain minimum for the level/division as well as meet the membership eligibility requirements. The qualifying season runs from the closing date of entries for the 2008 regional championships to the closing date of entries for the 2009 regional championships. So if this show is the 2009 regional championship, its too late to qualify for '09, but could get a qualifying score for '10.
Info on regional championships: http://www.usdf.org/docs/competitions/regionals/RCProgramRules.pdf

--The qualifying class is an ADDITIONAL class for the SAME ride. So, you will be placed in your normal open/AA/JRYR division with everyone who rode that test. In addition in the results sent to USDF it will be shown that you entered a qualifying class. Since its the same ride, show managers only place the full class, including the Qs, but do not place the Qs separately in addition.

--The Qs ARE NOT necessary to qualify for USDF year-end awards. To qualify for USDF year-end awards, you need to be a *participating* member - not a group USDF member, and meet all the other registration and # of score requirements. USDF year-end awards are calculated based on all the tests from the level, not just the highest one.

--The Qs are also not necessary for rider awards (bronze, silver and gold medals) - these only require that the rider be a group or participating member at the time the scores are earned. The USDF site isn't clear whether the horse and owner also need to be members at time scores are earned.

In short, the Qs are only for regional championships - no awards. They are simply an 'extra class' for the same ride, mostly as a bookkeeping measure.

Thanks for the correction :-) I found the link to the USDF explanation. http://www.usdf.org/docs/competitions/regionals/RCProgramRules.pdf

Applecore
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:17 PM
aren't the USEF and USDF websites ever so helpful when you have a specific question? At least we know they aren't wasting our membership $ on website design ;). I always find myself wandering through 20 pages to find what I'm looking for!

case solved
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:20 AM
Thank you so much Applecore! That was really helpful. I am a member of a GMO because it is also our eventing association, but not a full USDF member yet, although I'm definitely planning on it. Maybe I will not designate my ride as "Q" this time since it is our first show and we are not yet members but plan on it for the next show? When thinking about qualifying for year-end awards- Does the USDF keep track of all of your scores and tally them up at years end or do you have to submit your information yourself?

Ambrey
Aug. 3, 2009, 02:14 AM
Also remember that the qualifying season is almost over, so probably not much use in that unless you already are on your way to qualifying scores :) I agree, it's totally confusing!

hoopoe
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:35 AM
scores earned after the close of qualifying in the particular region ( usually 1 month before the championships) are carried over to the next years event. Offering Q rides at an open show is required. Many people take advantage of the Q class at Championships to get their first ride for the next season out of the way, or to test the water and get Homework for the off season.

It is a good plan

I feel the rule book at USEF ( the shows are USEF shows first and foremost) are excellent and well written. There is a wealth of information there, even if you are not going to show.