PDA

View Full Version : do you have a tack locker?

Tiffany01
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:27 PM
do you have a tack locker at your barn? If so what do you keep in it?

HJPony
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:04 PM
My farm uses the locker system. In this I keep everything I would use on a daily basis. The system works quite well in my opinion and really looks nice in a finished tack room. Of course, it can be a pain to transfer things into the trunks while showing. I really like the system though!

dauphine2
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:06 PM
Can I be the idiot that asks what a tack locker is? :lol:

spmoonie
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:07 PM
Ive never been at a barn that utilized the system, but I do think it would be neat.

TPF
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:11 PM
At a barn I was at in Vermont they had tack lockers that you could fit your trunk in the bottom - it was a wonderful idea! Your trunk, saddle(s), bridles(s) and a shelf on top for saddle pads, sheets, whatever. The tack room always looked neat and tidy - I loved it!!

angrychinchillas
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:21 PM
My last barn had lockers, and they were -wonderful-. Large (6' tall, approx. 30" wide, and 26 or 28" deep), with a saddle rack (some had two) and a shelf on top. You'd put your bridle(s) or halter(s) on the bridle hooks on the door or inside the door, and your brush box on the floor, and we also kept a rubbermaid tote for stuff like the bareback pad and extra saddle pads on the floor. On the shelf above, we kept medical supplies and show grooming stuff (clippers, showsheen, etc).

It was absolutely fabulous, and I hated hated hated moving to a communal tack room where all my things are out in the open for anyone to wander through and take if they're so inclined. Not that I'm terribly worried about this, because obviously people do it all over the country (if not the world) this way, and usually don't have problems... but I really liked my locker. :(

HJPony
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:22 PM
It's simply a large lockable storage area with saddle/bridle racks, and often times shelving if they are large enough. Most farms have them made of finished wood, not the metal school type ones. Think closet like structure.

dauphine2
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:42 PM
I see. Thank you. That seems like it would be a very nice way to keep things organized. My tack trunk is always a mess, so I like the idea of hooks and shelves.

JenEM
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:45 PM
My barn has them, and I LOVE them :D It is so much easier to keep everything in there, neatly organized, than to have to dig through a trunk for stuff, or have it out to get "borrowed." They go almost up to the ceiling, so maybe 7' tall, with room for a grooming tote/medical box/clipper box on the floor, two saddle racks on the wall, and a small top shelf for boots, treats, tack cleaning supplies, etc. The door has two bridle racks, and I think most of us have some sort of additional hooks for lead ropes, etc.

As HJPony says, it's really more like a closet than a school locker. I think my tack locker is actually larger than my linen closet at home ;)

cnvh
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:20 PM
Our barn has them for boarders. Each locker is shared by two people; it has two saddle racks inside plus a shelf on top, and most people add some extra hooks for bridles/etc. They sit about 2' off the floor, so underneath, people shove their tack trunks and extra stuff.

I wish we had enough room for us all to have our own lockers... my "lockermate" and I try to keep ours tidy, but it's a fairly small space for two peoples' stuff, so you can only do so much. But it's much better than having all your stuff out in the open for anyone to pick through.

With that being said, quite a few of us don't keep ours locked, because we have agreements amongst each other re: being able to borrow certain things as needed. We're all pretty respectful of it though; none of my stuff has ever gone missing unless I forgot to put it away, in which case I usually end up tracking it down in the student tack room. :eek:

Peggy
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:49 PM
Yes. Mine is a free-standing outside one; most of them are within one of two tackrooms-kids and amateurs.

Saddle(s), pads, bridles (not show ones), grooming tote, usually a scrim or dress sheet, whips, bottles and jars of stuff, extra wraps, vet supplies, etc. I have bridle racks and strings for towels and horse boots on the door. Metal shelving along one side holds bottles and jars. Whips and spurs and a tack-cleaning bucket hang. There is a big shelf at the top where I have plastic containers (mostly with pull-out drawers). Photo attached.

I also have a show trunk which contains, aside from show-only stuff, blankets that aren't being used and a few other things. Those I transfer into my locker when I go to a show.

HobbyHorse101
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:52 PM
We have them at the show barn I board at and I like it very much. Has a saddle rack, basket, and two or three bridle racks. I keep my halters (My horses are outside) a half pad, bridles and martingales, boots, helmet and brushes. I take my saddle home with me and bring a clean pad everyday so that way I can wash and my boys don't have to have a nasty pad.

mypaintwattie
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:01 PM
We have them- they are wooden, about 5x3x3 and are in the front corner of our stall. In mine I have a shelf, a saddle rack, hooks for bridles, halters, strap goods. Rubbermaid storage drawers for polos and boots, that my saddle pads sit on, and room for my grooming box. On top of my locker I have a smaller 3x3x3 wooden box that I can keep small items in. I also have a large Rubbermaid and a small Rubbermaid for additional tack and feed. Sometimes I wish I could have a 12x12 tack room, but they are fairly expensive and not close to my stall, so I just cram what I have into my lockers. Everything stays padlocked so that it doesn't wander off.

LookinSouth
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:15 PM
I am at barn that does not supply tack lockers but boarders are allowed to bring in their own tack lockers and/or storage systems as the tack room is quite large. My husband turned an old armoire we had into a tack locker for me when I moved to the barn. He installed a saddle rack, 3 bridle hooks, 2 hooks for martingales and several other hooks for hanging my helmet and bits. He also made a box for wraps/quilts on the bottom, room for first aid and bathing stuff and put a lock on it to keep my stuff secure.

It was fairly easy to put together inside the existing armoire. I thought it was a nice option for a tack locker since none were going to be supplied and I didn't have a tack trunk. I actually like it better than most tack lockers I've seen at barns too:).

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2667661880101555132xWCPfc
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2183383310101555132LwFaEs

ponyxjd
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:13 PM
My barn has them, and they're great but I wish they were bigger! There're two sets stacked on top of each other, and you can comfortably fit one saddle and a tack box in one. I have two saddles and stack them on top of each other somehow, (as well as 5 saddle pads) and every time I go into my locker I basically have to take everything out to get something. It's very annoying, but at least nothing disappears!

SkipChange
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:40 PM
Have been at barns that have them and some that don't.

1. My favorite set up was the big double lockers that hold 2 saddles and everything you own. Fabulous. For the younger set with less stuff or those with only one saddle there were single lockers in a tack room. School horse tack kept in a convenient separate tack room with no lockers, saddles and bridles on the wall. Great privacy, things walk away a lot less often, no cats or dogs scratching saddles.

2. One barn had tack lockers that was a corner cut out from the stall--so annoying. It opens outside in the aisle so the sliding door of the stall would block the tack locker door and it was very inconvenient.

3. Another barn had tack stalls that opened INTO the horse's stalls--I did not like this either--the latch sticking out in the stall seemed like a safety hazard.

4. Current barn has no lockers, 4 tack rooms with saddle and bridle racks on all the walls. You better have a big trunk. I would rather have a locker, but I like it better than 2 and 3.

superpony123
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:47 PM
My barn has them in the superfancy newer barn attatched to the new arena (ok, well, these aren't new but they're new compared to the rest of the barn. the new arena and barn on the side was built in 2004) and theyre solid wood built in. Theyre VERY big and spacious. I dont have the $$ to board my pony in the new part of the barn, but I get along just fine in the other barn. I have a tack trunk, a laundry basket, and a rubbermaid bin for my coolers, clean saddle pads, girths, and martingale. (i dont like hanging girth on top of saddle and dont like hanging martingale with bridle. i know, i don't make sense. but it's annoying for some reason haah)

Actually, I like the barn i'm in right now because no one locks their trunks, so I don't either. We can leave our stuff open and no one will take anything. I don't think anyone takes anything in the newer built barn except that all the lockers do have locks on them, so I dunno. I only lock my trunk when I take it to a show. *shrug* :) I mean, I kinda wish i had a nice big locker because it is very convenient for every-day things and such, and it would make life easier for show packing (i hate digging through my trunk deciding what I can leave behind, which I will put in the rubbermaid bin, where my pads generally go, etc.)

Wizard of Oz's
Aug. 3, 2009, 01:08 AM
at my barn we have full sized ones that are nice and roomy. I keep everything in mine! bridles (4), tons of bits, all grooming stuff, bathing stuff, paddock boots, half chaps, extra boots, extra chaps, extra breeches, usually a few pairs of tall boot socks, 2 helmets, halters, 2 girths, saddle pads, and probably other stuff that I can't think of. And amazingly all of it is hung up/in a container and organized!

Parker_Rider
Aug. 3, 2009, 01:49 AM
Oh I love my locker!! I have a tack trunk too, and let me tell ya.. my daily question to myself is "Where did I get so much stuff!??!" :lol: Our lockers are 4' tall and probably about 2' wide and maybe 3'-ish deep.. not as big as some of you are talking about (thank God, otherwise my stuff would probably reproduce again. Like rabbits!). I keep practically everything in there though.. bridles, my saddle, pads, med kit, clippers, the pharmacy, the grocery store... lol :)

JumpWithPanache
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:56 AM
The last two barns I've been at have lockers, and so does the barn I haul into for lesson. I love having a locker (about 6' high, 30" deep, 30" wide) which easily stores all my everyday stuff. I keep my saddle, a couple pads, two schooling bridles, martingale, boots, wraps, grooming bucket, wash bucket, and first aid stuff in there. I also have a trunk with show specific stuff in it and a foot locker with off season stuff. I've been at barns with the open tack room style and didn't particularly care for it, seemed too easy for gear to walk away.

ChocoMare
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:57 AM
Had my hubby build me one last year:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2695214780015305252jynpVm

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2427414610015305252jygusd

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2928127680015305252iRoiaU

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2642222980015305252PhfIdM

see u at x
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:35 AM

I swear, this is the Mecca of tack lockers...with electricity and everything. Awesome!!!

The ones at my barn are pretty small. Every time I open mine up, I wish that it would be like Hermione's purse in the last Harry Potter book...magical and EXPANDABLE! :lol: I'm guessing that ours are around 2' wide, 2 1/2' tall, and about 20" deep. Since I have two horses, I have two lockers, but the one locker is in the actual tack room, which is kinda far from where my horses are.

The main locker that I use is in a separate tack area of the new addition to the barn (not an actual tack room per se), right next to the cross ties and a few short steps from my horses' stalls. I bought one of those plastic coated free-standing kitchen shelves (kind of like this, except only one tier: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8832618), and was able to fit it across the back wall of my locker underneath my saddle rack. I put treats, my paddock boots, and other misc. stuff underneath it. On the shelf, I have a small basket that holds my leather cleaner/conditioner, scissors, medical supplies, etc. Next to the basket I have all my spray bottles.

Recently, I added hooks for my lunge line, half chaps, halters, bridles, spurs, and breast collar/martingale. My clean saddle pads usually go underneath my saddle and the slightly used/don't quite need to be washed yet ones go on top of my saddle upside down with my girth on top. I hang my helmet from the saddle rack and since I won the Oster brush set last year from the local show series year end awards, I keep all my brushes in the little pink bag they come in sitting right at the front of the locker. Oh, and my dressage whips, break-apart lunge whip, and riding crops all lean diagonally against the left wall. It can be a tight squeeze, but it's SO much better than it was before I got the shelf and hooks. When I show, I just drive my car up to the door of the barn which is right next to my locker, load up the backseat, and go.

My other locker holds my other close contact saddle (which doesn't fit my horses), a small bucket, some plastic bins of additional medical supplies, bits, my dressage girth, an extra girth for the fat WB/QH mare that I sometimes ride, and extra paddock boots.

ChocoMare
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:37 AM
I swear, this is the Mecca of tack lockers...with electricity and everything. Awesome!!!

Oh thanks. :cool: Alas, it doesn't have direct electric, but the lights are the stick-up battery operated ones. The stick lights are actually better than the round ones. Grab 'em at Home Depot!

see u at x
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:41 AM
Oh thanks. :cool: Alas, it doesn't have direct electric, but the lights are the stick-up battery operated ones. The stick lights are actually better than the round ones. Grab 'em at Home Depot!

I didn't even know that they made battery operated lights like the ones you have. Now it's even cooler! ;)

JumpWithPanache
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:42 AM

I am soooo stealing your idea! That locker is great!

twohotponies
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:47 AM
Our barn has blocks of tack rooms. It is $30/month but so worth it. They are approx. 6' x 4' with electricity and a locking door. I share one with my daughter, we each have a tack trunk, saddle racks, bridle hooks, shelves, blanket bar, laundry basket, and a free standing 4 shelf unit that holds smartpak boxes, brush bags, etc. Cement floor for easy clean up. Its fantastic!

Tiffani B
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:07 AM
I actually made my own locker.

Several barns I've boarded at allowed you to bring in a trunk or large tote, and keep it in an area separate from the saddles (i.e. in the aisle).

So instead of using the traditional trunk, and having to paw through it, plus keep my harness and bridles elsewhere, I purchased a Rubbermaid "garden tool" locker. It had the exact same footprint as a trunk, but was tall! I installed four of the nice metal bridle hangers (one on the inside of each door, and one on the inside of each side), put a hook in the top center to hang my driving harness, and put about a dozen hooks/screws into the doors and back of the locker to hang bits and other small items. It also came with two small containers that hang on the inside of the door, where I store little things like curb hooks, snaps, etc.

I used only two of the three included shelves. I put one about 6" off the bottom and the next about 12" above that. I put things I hardly ever use on the floor of the locker, spray bottles and my clipper case on the bottom shelf, and my groom tote and bag of treats on the top shelf, which is low enough so my harness can hang above it.

I store my blankets and wash bucket on the top of the locker. The only thing that doesn't fit is my saddle, which lives in my car anyways, so it works perfectly!

An added benefit is, it is EASY to move. It's very lightweight. I just remove anything with liquid in it, tilt it on its side and carry it out.

If anyone wants, I can snap a few pics.

ChocoMare
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:10 AM
I am soooo stealing your idea! That locker is great!

Have at it! The blanket/pad rack is from Killer Racks (http://killerracks.com/home.htm) There are 2 arms that are thicker/more heavy for the blankets. The other three are smaller for pads.

The pull-out basket drawers are from Home Depot in the Closet Organization Section - I just bought two of the kits.

The saddle racks are the fold-down ones. They were cheap and I wanted the option of folding down one or both if ever needed.

sansibar
Aug. 3, 2009, 02:29 PM
I used to have a huge locker at my old barn, it was 8 feet high and 2 feet deep and 2 feet wide I think it was huge, I kept absolutely everything in there (except winter blankets), and even then I barely had room for a lot of things. lol.

They worked well, except things got very mouldy in there sometimes, especially if a saddle pad was a little wet.

drmgncolor
Aug. 3, 2009, 02:40 PM
I too, built my own. It also has the battery operated stick on lights.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=105844&id=578147844&l=c339fc9fce

I should probably get a few pics of it complete with ALL my horse stuff in it.

I love it and as soon as DH lets me off power tool restriction (for a locker unrelated incident involving an electric drill and an index finger) I will start working on my next project... a winter cat house for the outdoor feline.

Here's my thread: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=202365

JWB
Aug. 3, 2009, 03:37 PM
My barn has four of them and 7 boarders.... Not enough for everyone to have one. I was boarder #5 through the doors and have a rubbermaid locker in the tack room. One of my saddles lives on a communal rack in the feed room. The other lives in my horse trailer. The stuff that doesn't fit it my locker also lives in the horse trailer. The lockers look great and I'd love one but our barn is fairly small and everyone is very respectful. At least I'm in the tack room. Boarders 6&7 have trunks in the aisle and feed room. My trailer also has a fantastic tack room so everything that doesn't need the AC or I don't use every day lives out there since we ARE allowed to keep our trailers on property. The upside is that show packing is SUPER easy (throw the saddle, bridle, boots & brushes in the trailer and go)

JenEM
Aug. 3, 2009, 03:43 PM
ChocoMare, that locker is amazing! Mine is about half of that, and I'm going to have to borrow your lightbulb idea. Hmm, wonder if I can stop at Home Depot this afternoon... :cool:

I don't actually lock mine. I just have a carabiner clip on the door to hold it shut. We're a really great group of almost all adults, so there's not a lot of issues with things walking away. I think people have occasionally used my sweat scraper in the wash stall, and that's about it! Oftentimes I think just having a door someone has to open is enough of a deterrent to keep people from feeling like "well, its out, I guess I can just use it."

ChocoMare
Aug. 3, 2009, 03:46 PM
I too, built my own. It also has the battery operated stick on lights.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=105844&id=578147844&l=c339fc9fce

I should probably get a few pics of it complete with ALL my horse stuff in it.

I love it and as soon as DH lets me off power tool restriction (for a locker unrelated incident involving an electric drill and an index finger) I will start working on my next project... a winter cat house for the outdoor feline.

Here's my thread: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=202365

GAWJUS! Good job!!!! :yes:

AppendixQHLover
Aug. 3, 2009, 03:54 PM
Nope...I use the dressing room in my trailer. Right now it looks like a bomb hit it because a couple weeks ago I cleaned out my trailer and threw everything into the tackroom.

I need to get a couple of totes to put my saddle pads in. The ones I use will go outside of it, and my spares on the inside. I am a saddle pad junkie. The winter blankets can get put into totes at the top of the goose neck. My saddle that I ride in daily stays in the barn tackroom.

drmgncolor
Aug. 3, 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks Chocomare... I, unfortunately had to build mine all by my lonesome. :) :)

Actually, I fired hubby from helping after he broke off the first screw he tried to put in.

Alas it is now me who is on power tool restriction.

ayrabz
Jun. 23, 2013, 03:15 PM
sorry. wrong thread!

Go Fish
Jun. 23, 2013, 04:55 PM
No, but the barn aisle is wide enough that we all use our tack trunks.

Trainer has a huge tack room/office and saddles and bridles are kept in there. Each stall has a nice blanket rack that holds up to three blankets. So, no need for tack lockers, I guess.

There are a few boarders, but I don't know where they keep their stuff. I guess if you aren't riding with a trainer and have no tack room, you'd probably like to have a locker.

Covergirl15
Jun. 23, 2013, 05:39 PM
Wow, I wish I had a locker now! We did at my old barn, but they were about half the size of the ones you guys are mentioning (maybe 3' by 2.5' by 2.5' ?) and some of us had to share, so they were a pain in the butt and not super close to the cross ties, so even more annoying. Now I just have a tack trunk that I keep my main items in (grooming and first aid kits, half chaps, shipping bandages, shampoos, lunge line, side reins, polos, etc) and a saddle/bridle rack for my saddle, a few pads, girth, bridle, extra halter, and I hang my helmet underneath). Everything else (winter blankets, coolers, extra saddle pads, bits, bridles, etc) at home in another tack trunk and on racks I've hung in the back storage area of our garage, so not the ideal situation, but it works!

sara
Jun. 23, 2013, 05:53 PM
We have the locker system as well at my barn but not all of them are as gorgeous or roomy as the ones posted here! In one aisle, there is a 2 x 6 row of metal lockers that are about 4-4 1/2 feet high and 3 feet wide. In another aisle, opposite some pony stalls, are a wall of wooden lockers- 5 across and 3 total rows. They're shorter than the metal ones but I chose to have a wooden one as they're deeper and I can store my saddle and bridle in the tack room.

Some boarders also have free-standing tack lockers that are gorgeous that are stored in the widest part of the main aisle. I plan on having the boyfriend build me one similar to yours, drmgncolor, at some point. I like the locker system better than trunks because the aisles are mostly clear and the tack room is kept quite organized also.

Hunter Mom
Jun. 23, 2013, 06:44 PM
We have lockers. Anything used on a regular basis (saddle, bridles, pad, etc.) stays there. Stuff that is used rarely is taken home. It's nice because occasionally we ride each other's horses, and when we do we can use their own tack.

bluebuckets
Jun. 23, 2013, 07:53 PM
I was at a barn for a while that had them, and I didn't particularly like them- too small for me. There were a couple bridle racks and two saddle racks, but there really wasn't a way to utilize the space above the saddle racks, and the space below them was cramped. I like my trunks better (I have two: a normal sized trunk with everyday stuff, and GIANT show trunk I made myself.) I also have two saddle racks and two bridle racks on the tack room wall. And a bin in the loft. And blanket storage in the loft. I might have too much stuff, lol.

bits619
Jun. 23, 2013, 10:59 PM
Grrrrrr had a long response and it went poof. Anyway, yes, and instead of rewriting it, I remembered I have a photo from a few months ago.
Clean saddle pads on the shelf above, bits and pieces on the mini shelves. Used saddle pads are left to dry on stall gate. My green ascot box actually holds my helmet, gloves and small grooming tote.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/858591_10101974621903720_315176397_o.jpg

cottonXCblondie
Jun. 24, 2013, 11:34 AM
The barn I grew up at had two different sets of lockers, smaller square wooden ones and then old metal high school lockers. I inherited a tall metal one when I bought my horse. It was definitely convenient and definitely way too full of things.

That barn I've been at for over two years doesn't have lockers, just a couple big communal tack rooms...not many boarders. I've been carrying all of my hings around in the back of my Land Rover/Suburban because I refuse to be the first person to have something disappear.

The barn I'm moving to in a week has lockers! So excited! They are beautifully made wooden ones that are square, I've not gotten to investigate them too much...or really at all. But I'm told one is free for me! If you have a stall in the show barn, you can have your trunk in front of your stall in addition to a locker and if you're on pasture, like me, and have a have a trunk, you can put it up in the loft. I'm planning to store the bare everyday items that I use every time I ride and then store the things I use occasionally in the back of my 'Burb for easy access if I need them. I'll be cleaning out my big grooming box and moving into a grooming tote to keep in the locker, again, things I use every time I groom, I don't need my shed flower in there or my solocomb, those can be stored.

PaintedHunter
Jun. 24, 2013, 12:06 PM
When seeing the size of some of your spaces, or the description of what you keep - I am realizing I have altogether way too much stuff, LOL. I blame part of it on having a grey who is hard to keep looking clean!