PDA

View Full Version : Herm Sprenger System 4 Stirrups

NEHunter
Aug. 2, 2009, 03:23 PM
I am thinking of getting Herm Sprenger System 4 Stirrups I have read that they reduce the pressure on your knees and back. Do these really work? What are the pros and cons on these? Thanks so much for all of the input.

sp56
Aug. 2, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm not a fan of jointed stirrups at. all. I get really frustrated with the constantly moving stirrup and find it harder to keep my weight in my heel. I notice that I tend to balance more on my toe when riding in the jointed stirrups. I could just be a weirdo (no surprise there) but you have to try them to see if it's the right thing for you.

The only time I like jointed stirrups is when I'm sitting on a dressage horse with a ton of suspension.

RyuEquestrian
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:37 PM
I've been riding with mine for 8 years and absolutely love them. When I rode in the intercollegiate and got on school horses, whose saddles didn't have jointed irons, I immediately felt the difference in my knees. Despite their cost, I think they are a good investment and my original pair has lasted for years and years! It is true that there is some movement, but I got used to it quickly and now can't even notice. On the contrary, I notice when I ride in the non-jointed Stirrups how inflexible they are and sometimes they now give me shin splints.

allybox
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:50 PM
I absolutely LOVE mine! They are so comfortable, and help me keep my heels down and leg on in my not so comfortable tall boots. My knees always kill after I ride in my friends saddle that has plain unjointed irons.
I also love the way the black irons look :cool:

they seem to run small because the coating takes up space though, so make sure you order a big enough size

forestergirl99
Aug. 2, 2009, 07:45 PM
You want to buy me a pair while your at it? haha.

I used my friends for a few rides a couple years ago, and they are AMAZING!!!! They really do reduce back and knee pressure. I just wish I could convince my mom to spend $200 on stirrups. and that's not happen anytime soon. :no: :lol:

I settled for the middle of the road kind. They are called Intec USM 6-way stirrups, and I like them pretty well. They aren't the cheapo version, but they aren't as good as the original ones either.

Go Fish
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:50 PM
Couldn't ride without them. The HS stirrrups are the single-most item of my tack that has allowed this old, tired body to continue riding at my age.

I don't find that my stirrups move around or I have any difficulty keeping my heel down. If anything, I find it easier to keep my heel down with the HS stirrups. Perhaps it's because they allow greater flexibility in my ankle joint. I do already have a pretty good lower leg, if I do say so myself!

TJHunter049
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:07 PM
I absolutely love mine.. and I find it very uncomfortable to ride in anything else.

Two Black Cats
Aug. 3, 2009, 02:22 PM
Love 'em!! After horse shows and/or lessons where I would jump more than usual, I would always feel it in my knees that evening (and well into the next day) with my old standard fillus irons. Not so now that I have the Herm Sprengers - best Christmas present ever! I know that some trainers hate them (George Morris, for one) but they've helped my body keep on trucking...with less pain...

fatorangehorse
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:50 PM
They make a difference when you spend lots of hours in the tack. It also helped me to stop bracing if i got fatigued. I don't remember who makes the knock offs - but I have a pair of those too and don't notice any significant difference between riding in HS and those. Although - HS look cooler.

vbunny
Aug. 3, 2009, 05:58 PM
Depends on the horse. I have one horse that I hate jointed stirrups on, they make me feel very unstable. I changed them after a tip from COTH actually http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Made a huge difference, so much happier on him now.

NEHunter
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:21 PM
Thank you so much for all of the feedback, I appreciate it.