PDA

View Full Version : how offten do you clean your tack??

Tiffany01
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:50 PM
how offten do you clean your tack??

I clean mine before a show.

supershorty628
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:52 PM
I clean mine extensively every day. It doesn't have any crud on it and lasts forever.

Tex Mex
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:54 PM
Bridles, girths, etc, every day. Saddle, once a week or so.
That is so nasty if you don't clean your bridle every day!

bhrunner06
Aug. 2, 2009, 03:02 PM
everything gets cleaned daily. including my saddle and my boots/half chaps! thats the only way to get everything to last forever!

paint hunter
Aug. 2, 2009, 03:15 PM
My trainer wipes down my saddle and bridle after every ride with Lexol Leather Cleaner wipes (orange cannister; pricey, but it's easy and thus she does it). Extensive cleaning before a show.

spmoonie
Aug. 2, 2009, 03:15 PM
My bridle/girth/martingale get cleaned after each ride. My saddle gets cleaned about once a week.

SkipChange
Aug. 2, 2009, 03:55 PM
An old trainer of mine REQUIRED bridles, especially bits, horse's boots, girth, martingale, and saddle to be cleaned thoroughly every ride, I was not "required" to clean my boots/half chaps however.

New trainer has no such regulations but bits are cleaned daily, tack is lightly wiped off pretty much every day--cleaned really well every week or two.

Heineken
Aug. 2, 2009, 04:08 PM
every ride

make x it x so
Aug. 2, 2009, 04:09 PM
Not nearly as often as I should.

Always before shows and whenever I'm feeling particularly ambitious at the barn...

ETA- I do rinse/clean the bit most days. My horse always gets hay gook all over it, and it would be absolutely horrifying if I didn't do it at least every other ride but usually every ride.

Outfxed
Aug. 2, 2009, 04:19 PM
Every ride, all tack. I have a halter that I bought back in 1969 that I could still use but its retired to the hallowed halls in reverance to the dearly departed show mare that I had.

Riley0522
Aug. 2, 2009, 04:45 PM
I'm awful and hardly ever clean my tack, except my saddle. My girth is synthetic and fleecy so I wash that every couple weeks, but my bridle barely gets cleaned. I clean the bit after every ride and clean the bridle maybe once every 3-4 months. It's a $30 Dover bridle that's 3 years old and gets used 4-5 times a week. I think it likes the neglect :)

dghunter
Aug. 2, 2009, 04:55 PM
After every ride. Boots get wiped down after every use but not always cleaned (I'm terrible with my boots).

superpony123
Aug. 2, 2009, 04:57 PM
I always do the day before a show. Otherwise, I try to clean everything once a week. Or if somehow my tack gets really dirty (if the footing is really wet and splashes up onto tack, etc. then i clean immediately after. I'm not so sure I'd be willing to do it daily. That's *too* much cleaning, if you ask me. I mean, I always condition after cleaning, but I feel like even if you did condition after cleaning (if you did clean everyday,) you'd kind of be stripping the leather in a way. Kind of like if you bathed your horse every day with shampoo, you'd be stripping away the natural oils from the coat. I mean, hair and leather are different, but to me it's the same idea. (however, i guess, it is apples and oranges) Either way, I've gotten plenty of compliments, particularly at shows, "your tack is SO clean!!" so, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong by only doing it once a week ;)

Just the other day, at a show, a steward was petting my pony and said I had the cleanest looking/feeling bridle at the whole show :lol: I mean, i'm sure thats an exaggeration, of course, but I do make my tack pretty damn clean. :)

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v315/132/89/589955224/n589955224_1717082_246.jpg
clean pony, clean tack. tell me if i missed a spot anywhere ;)

Mimi La Rue
Aug. 2, 2009, 05:06 PM
I clean my saddle once a week and I clean my girth after every ride. I am pretty bad about my bridle and martingale. I hate cleaning bridles. I probably clean my bridle every other month or so. I wipe off the bit after every ride though.

SpicyMonarch
Aug. 2, 2009, 05:07 PM
Ummmmm...when it's so disgusting that I can't even stand it anymore. In theory, I should be cleaning it a hell of a lot more often than I do.

valencia
Aug. 2, 2009, 05:12 PM
I clean my bridle everyday, and my saddle whenever I have time.
Which isn't often, haha.

Little Valkyrie
Aug. 2, 2009, 05:27 PM
My trainer wipes down my saddle and bridle after every ride with Lexol Leather Cleaner wipes (orange cannister; pricey, but it's easy and thus she does it). Extensive cleaning before a show.

Try Weiman's leather wipes for leather furniture and car seats. It works just as well, is cheap, and does not leave a nasty, slippery finish. I give my tack a swipe with these after I ride and it works brilliantly! You should be able to get them at any auto body store, walmart, etc. (They are a white tube with a medium brown cap- just like the Lexol conditioner)

Valeureux
Aug. 2, 2009, 05:51 PM
I clean all of my tack every day. That way, it's always clean and the crud doesn't build up, and the leather is supple and smooth. :)

Candle
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:08 PM
I wipe it down with a damp rag every couple of days, wash the bit every day, and then if I'm riding in a nasty ring and I get crud everywhere, I clean more often. I don't care if my tack lasts forever. If I can't afford a new $100-$200 bridle every 5-7 years, I am too broke to own horses. Also, I hope that my body changes shape and size every now and then, therefore making owning the same saddle for 40 years a moot point.

RyuEquestrian
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:17 PM
I clean my tack after every ride. I liked the concept of the Lexol wipes, so I created my own. I get a pack of baby wipes and let them soak in a Tupperware container with a little bit of my favorite brand of cleaner and a separate one for conditioner and use them to wipe off my tack after each session. I use the cleaner wipes after every ride and the conditioner wipes on Sundays (as Sundays the horses get off and I use the day to clean and re-organize everything)

As far as boots are concerned, I wipe them off every ride and wash them as necessary, usually 2x a week. Synthetic girls I'll hose down and let dry after every ride and once a week put them in the laundry.

For horse shows, everything gets a thorough cleaning and a douse of good quality conditioner to ensure that it is supple and show ring ready :)

Moocow
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:41 PM
Clean tack every day it's ridden in - bits, bridles, saddles, etc. with regular saddle soap. Normally twice a week I will use a moisturizing cleaner on the bridles, martingales, etc. and condition the saddles once a week. Keeps everything looking great! It's so nice to open up the locker in the morning and see clean tack.

IsolaBella09
Aug. 2, 2009, 07:11 PM
I always clean my bridle, martingale, and girth after every ride. I hate the buildup of crud, sweat, and hair that can get stuck. My saddle gets cleaned about once a week. My boots get cleaned every time I ride.

Renn/aissance
Aug. 2, 2009, 07:32 PM
After almost every ride--which is a pain in the butt when the tack room doesn't have running water or a good place to hang bridles. Hence the "almost"; when we just hack out in the fields, I rinse the bit but don't scrub my bridle.

HJPony
Aug. 2, 2009, 07:55 PM
My tack is cleaned after every ride. Fleece girths and baby pads(etc.) are cleaned every other day if they are used obviously. They is nothing more annoying to me than dirty reins!!

theroanypony
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:28 PM
how offten do you clean your tack??

About as often as someone asks this question.

In all seriousness, I've gotten into the habit of cleaning my saddle at least once a week, and my bridle/bit after every ride.

"A"HunterGal
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:09 PM

Your TRAINER cleans YOUR tack for you ?? Really?

Wow.

Is this after she does a training ride? That I can understand. After your lessons, when you've ridden, please say that YOU clean it.

And to everyone who doesn't clean their bridle after every ride....ew...imagine wearing the same bra after every ride and never washing it.

For those of you who don't at least wipe off your BIT, imagine eating with the same fork every meal and never washing it.

Mayaty02
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:17 AM
absolutely every day...if I leave even one piece uncleaned, i get that nagging feeling like I've forgotten to brush my teeth :cool: Can't stand dirty tack...and of course if you don't take care of it, it won't last.

PS I also come from a show barn background where you polished your paddock boots every day or you weren't allowed to lesson.

giddybiddy
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:27 AM
I've gotten into the habit of cleaning my bit and girth every day, my bridle once every other day/few days, and my saddle about once a week or so.

But lately, it's been raining so much and it's been so muddy, that I've been cleaning and conditioning my tack a LOT more often!

And everyone always mocks me because I'm SO meticulous about cleaning the bit. Not only do I just wipe the gunk off, (I have a pelham), but I ALWAYS get every single last piece of gunk off the curb chain as well. It's fun for me! I LOVE cleaning tack...I could do it all day...and sometimes I do! I love cleaning the school horse bridles...the poor things are so neglected and I sure as hell wouldn't want all that crud on MY face, so why would they?