PDA

View Full Version : Muck boots or Mudruckers?

Ghazzu
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:46 PM
Since the current pair of Muck boots is giving up the ghost after 2 1/2 years (liner worn through in heel area and tread getting smooth), I need to replace them soon (like before the semester starts and I'm schlepping the farm animal skills class around various livestock facilities).

I had a pair of the original Muck boots, and they died from cracks. I was not happy. The second pair, also Mucks (Christmas gift from my inimitable mother), were slightly redesigned, and have held up well--my general criterion being that the upper should hold up until the tread is shot.

Anyone here had both Muck boots and Mudruckers? The latter are slightly less expensive, but I know I like the Mucks, and would rather spend another $10 and be happy, but if there's a consensus that the Mudruckers are more comfy, I might go for them.

Phoebe
Aug. 2, 2009, 03:19 PM
I have both -- and both pair have held up well - no cracks - worn daily (sorta of alternate) pretty heavy use - I have to say I found the Muck Boots more comfortable than the MuckRuckers - so much so that next time around I will spring the extra bucks for that comfort -- something about the arch that just fits my foot -- I find with the MuckRuckers my feet get a little sore and tired after a full day of use -- don't have that problem with Muck Boots -- I do love keeping my feet dry though - especially in dewy grass and/or mud -- I do not like getting water in either pair since it takes a while for them to dry out and I wish there was some way either pair could breathe a bit since my feet will stink if I wear them all day - socks or no

deltawave
Aug. 2, 2009, 04:07 PM
I also think the Muck Boots are a little more comfortable, but IME both are pretty good on durability.

pony grandma
Aug. 2, 2009, 05:05 PM
I just bought a pair of Statesman (the brand name) at the Southern Feeds store in Paris KY when I was visiting the area. They were on sale for less than $30. They are lined w/ removeable soles just like all the others.

The feature I look for is a complete shoe, not a clog, and to be able to slip them on without bending over every time - that ability to drop them at the door and go in and out of the house without having to keep them on for a short trip back inside just b/c they are a pain to put back on. These are the low shoe-like ones (I have others taller for winter) and they have a soft cuff, I can wear them barefoot and not get a rub! Extra nice for a quick trip out since I like to go barefoot in the summer around the house.

I can't swear how they wear yet but at the price I might go back next trip for another pair.

I have a mid height green muck boot that I bought from tack of the day when they first started up. No brand name on the boot. Open at the top, you can slip them on no-handed and tuck your jeans in them. I LOVE them!! They have a good solid foot form in them, not sloppy at all, give excellent support. They are the greatest, not too hot in fair weather and great even subzero. They have just started showing wear and the liner in one is tearing. I wrote to tack of the day asking about them to be reoffered and my testimony on the item and never heard back. :(

It doesn't answer your question about the two you were questioning but it's my 2 cents on what I have found that works for me.

deltawave
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:06 PM
The high-ankle/low-calf height is definitely my favorite. :yes: Easy to put on/take off, but enough boot to handle mud and snow within reason.

EventerAJ
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:24 AM
My Mudruckers died after about 10 months. I loved them, wore them every day in all seasons. Great in the snow (well, 2" of Ky snow), and I rolled the tops down in the summer to keep cool. But I wore through the interior lining at the heel, and gave myself horrible painful sores (irritated ligament, not blisters) while walking my course in them at the AECs that year. Shortly thereafter, cracks developed in the footie part (near the outer toe) and they were no longer waterproof.

I am a convicted Boot Murderer, but I was disappointed that they didn't last longer... I usually get at least 2 yrs out of boots, even with my abuse. I've learned not to buy expensive footwear; no matter how well-made, I will kill it prematurely. I just buy the cheapie rubber boots from WalMart; I can't wear them all day everyday, but at least they keep my feet dry and cost significantly less! And my current pair is going on 3 yrs, almost a record! (though they *are* only worn in wet, muddy conditions, to save my paddock boots from drowning)

FoxChaser
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:12 AM
I've had both Muck Boots and Mudruckers and honestly can't turn my hand over for the difference. I usually go through a pair a year or so and they are either retired due to cracks along the ball of my foot or wearing through the back of the liner as EventerAJ said. I think given the price difference, that the Mudruckers are a better buy.

Suganoog
Aug. 5, 2009, 08:37 PM
I own a pair of both, and honestly, I think that Mucks hold up the best. MudRuckers held up for me for a while (about 8 months), and are fairly comfortable, but when you are scouting about in the manuer (especially deep manuer with REALLY deep shavings via your barn manager), and cleaning stalls, and doing all this barn work, I personally, think that Mucks are definetley a better buy.

MSP
Aug. 7, 2009, 11:08 AM
You need to get a boot made with urine resistant rubber. Only way to avoid the cracks and early retirement of your boots.

I use these http://www.muckbootsandshoes.com/muckster-lovers-muck-shoe-p-50.html

The Muckster Pet Lovers Muck Shoe

The Mucksterâ„¢ is ideal for animal care professionals as well as pet lovers everywhere. The Mucksterâ„¢ is resistant to all pet related contaminants. Features include breathable airmesh lining, full-perimeter wrapped outsole provides maximum protectection to the toe, arch and heel area. The CR flex-foam bootie with four-way strecth snag resistant cover is 100% waterproof, lightweight, flexible and boyant.
Available in Tan/Bark.
Available in men's sizes 4-14 and women's sized 5-15.

Ben and Me
Aug. 7, 2009, 12:50 PM
I've had good luck with the LL Bean Stormchasers. They feel like tennis shoes (I think they have the same "padding" as Reeboks) and stood up to a summer of constant Virkon footbaths/cage cleaning/whatever while working at a zoo. They have redesigned them though, so I'm not sure about the durability of the new style. They're relatively inexpensive though (around $60 or $70) and come in multiple heights. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you decide to go with an alternate brand. :)

Brown Horse
Aug. 7, 2009, 11:01 PM
I have worn both and I like them the same. However, both are WAY too hot to wear during any season besides late fall and winter down here, even if I roll the tops down.

MSP
Aug. 10, 2009, 10:00 AM
I have worn both and I like them the same. However, both are WAY too hot to wear during any season besides late fall and winter down here, even if I roll the tops down.

I wear mine year round! They come in a shoe. Can't imagine working around horses in less coverage than a shoe.

TripleRipple
Aug. 10, 2009, 04:23 PM
Can't help with those brands.

But I did buy a pair of Bogs muck boots that I found at the local Big R store. Been several years, no sign of wear yet. Very comfortable slip ons and warm in the snow, and they are 100% waterproof just like they claim. They have several styles of boots - mine are hit just under the knee, soft sides, with sturdy thick rubber feet. Only problems I've had involved trying to step on the sharp "stick in the ground" edge of a metal t-post, which isn't good for any softer muck boot - just had a senior moment on that one. Normally wear these all summer and winter long for mucking, any farm chore, hiking out and atv'g around the property esp. in the winter, looking for cows, at fencing, etc.

The Bogs Rancher boots are a bit heavier and I think come with a steel toe, but they looked intriguing. Here is a photo of mine, the classic high boots (mine didn't come with the sockliner they mention):

http://www.amazon.com/Bogs-Womens-Classic-High-Black/dp/B000TH8SQM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1249934844&sr=1-5

akhunterrider
Aug. 11, 2009, 12:41 PM
I have never owned either, but I know of several people who have been very happy with the muck boots.