PDA

View Full Version : What do y'all make of all these newfangled crownpieces?

War Admiral
Aug. 2, 2009, 12:20 PM
I'm just curious b/c I'm seeing a wide variety of newfangled (supposedly) "comfort" crownpieces - most of them on bridles I would probably otherwise buy...

Are ppl actually using them? Are they REALLY more comfortable?

I'm old school and I have a hard time believing that they are any more comfortable than a really soft, clean, well-conditioned flat crownpiece, myself... :confused:

Plumcreek
Aug. 2, 2009, 01:10 PM
I had to buy a COTHer's too-stretched-out Edgewood browband to fit my wide brow QH, because the full sized browbands caused the crownpiece to dig into the backs of his ears. Then I had to find a more reasonably priced bridle to match the Edgewood browband (Aramas does). I think the contoured crownpieces are a good idea. Wish I had waited to buy a bridle.

Tiki
Aug. 2, 2009, 01:12 PM
I love them!!

MHM
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:14 PM
They look a little wacky to me, but I'm pretty traditional. I don't know if I've seen anyone show with one yet, or if I did, I didn't notice it.

I also wonder how many horses would actually notice the difference.

superpony123
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:17 PM
I'm not so sure too many horses would notice the difference.

As for me, we like our plain flat crown piece.

EqTrainer
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:26 PM
My working student was *convinced* that one of our horses really needed one of these, as he was being an ass about being bridled. Knowing him, I told her I thought he needed a smack bottom but if she wanted to buy one w/her own money, go right ahead! She did, and promptly sent it back and gave him his smack bottom - there was no change at all in his behaviour...

I imagine for some horses, it is important but I might guess that they really just need a wider browband.

BarbB
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:46 PM
I think they are a good idea, if only because a lot of people apparently don't adjust their bridle carefully or make sure it fits correctly. I see bridles all the time sitting practically ON the horses ear. That has to be uncomfortable.
I'm not in the market for a new bridle so I just make sure mine is not annoying. When I do buy I will probably look at those.

spmoonie
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:06 PM
I like the idea of them, but it wouldnt convince me to buy it.

Foxtrot's
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:29 PM
Buy a longer browband or ask your saddler to carve out ear dents?

OnyxThePony
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:05 AM
I bought one thinking it was a fantastic idea and would make a tremendous difference- NO differnece (in any of the horses, not a drop).

naters
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:24 AM
Love mine - have the padded vespucci crown (my horse has a calcification in his nuchal ligament, right behind his poll area) and the extra padding goes a long way towards him being happier!!!

katie16
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:21 AM
I think no matter what the industry, manufacturers are always trying to come up with something new to sell to comsumers. Those manufacturers then try to convince the consumer that their new item is a "must have" for whatever reason - it's called MARKETING. I think these new "comfort crowns" fall into that catergory. Do I think they are a bad idea - no. Do I think they are truly better for the horse than the traditional crown/caveson/browband setup - no. Do I think they are just one more option available to consumers - yes.

I am happy with the Beval Heritage Bridles that I have and will not be purchasing one with a comfort crown any time soon.

snaffle635
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:07 PM
I love the design of the Vespucci intregrated crownpiece. The noseband attaches to the crownpiece with buckles on either side.

Not a big fan of the new ones that SmartPak has. It looks a bit odd to see the noseband running on the outside of the crownpiece.

But good for the manufacturers for trying something new.

MTshowjumper
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:16 PM
A few years ago, before the padded crown bridles were everywhere, I actually had my vet in VA tell me to go out and buy one for my mare. Apparently she has a sore poll and while I am carefull to not adjust the bridle too tight he thought a padded crown with the noseband running above it would be even better for her. I had a heck of a time finding one I could afford that had the holes to run the noseband on top. I ended up ordering one from England.

Ponyclubrocks
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:31 PM
I also have the Vespucci intergrated/padded crownpiece bridle. It's lovely and soft and my horses love it! (They told me so!)

buck22
Aug. 3, 2009, 03:18 PM
my dressage bridles have comfort crowns, I honestly did not think I would notice a difference, but I do. Its subtle, but my horse is just slightly softer and a bit easier to convince to soften and think about rounding. I guess for some horses it makes a difference.

cgray0983
Aug. 3, 2009, 05:11 PM
I bought a Devoucoux bridle to match my other tack and it just had a padded crownpiece. I like it - but I couldn't punch a name plate through it - the thought of doing that to my um, slightly overpriced piece of tack was too much. So, I just have a tag on it... only drawback. I don't see a huge difference, but I am using gags/hackamore, which put pressure up there, so gives me piece of mind that it might be more comforartable.

propspony
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:31 PM
I got one over the winter, and I have to say that my mare *LOVES* it. I love the ease of adjustment for the cavesson (buckles on both sides) and she loves the fact that there isn't an extra (narrow) piece of leather digging into her head.

of course, she is a bit of a princess... :-p

wildlifer
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:41 PM
They are sheer marketing genius. 99% of horses won't give a flying flip, LOL.

naters
Aug. 6, 2009, 11:41 PM
my vet/chiro recommended them to me, and it does make a difference to my horse (who has a rock right there at the top of his poll) :)

superD
Aug. 7, 2009, 06:42 PM
I bought a vespucci as my show bridle with the comfort crown. I love it soo much I use it now everyday, and saving for another one. It fits my Tb so much better than any of the other brands. Does he feel a difference?? ....... not sure.:D

DancingQueen
Aug. 7, 2009, 06:53 PM
I have never seen/heard of them and have no idea what you are talking about. Can somebody post a link?