PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a 110 cm whip or 120? Why?

Beau Peep
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm about to go whip shopping so I wanted to know if the length of the whip really makes a difference. I'm ride several horses, from 15 hands and up, so I'm looking for a whip to be used with anybody. I know to factor in the grip type, and the flexibility, but I want to make I'm getting the right length, and since I can't bring my horse to the tack shop, I can't tell which length is more comfortable.

Is a 47.2" whip ever too big for a horse? Is there any reason *not* to get a 47.2", provided your horse isn't whip shy?

Pony Fixer
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:57 AM
I use the shorter whip, in large part because that was the legal size. I didn't want to have anything different on show day.

Interestingly, if you watch the Carl Hester Master Class (google it), he does not train ANY horses with a whip consistently. Of course, he also admits to mostly having hot horses.

yaya
Aug. 2, 2009, 12:49 PM
I carry the shorter whip only because they haven't fallen apart yet and I didn't feel like buying all new whips just because the legal length changed to longer (but I do still have some of the old 120s somewhere).

Dressage Art
Aug. 2, 2009, 01:01 PM
I like "Fleck" brand whips. They are like a fine instrument that you can have a lighter touch with. http://www.fleck-co.de/produkte/e_reitgerten.html

I don't see any 120sm whips in the local tack shops, so my whip was originally 110sm. Now it’s even shorter since I took off the whisk end - those have a whiplash and sting horses when whip is used. I mostly use my whip in the rhythm of the footfalls to encourage continues activity - so I'm interested in "tapping" it more than "whacking". I also like this kind of whip ends: http://www.fleck-co.de/produkte/e_dressur3.html

EqTrainer
Aug. 2, 2009, 01:08 PM
I like longer whips because I have to move my hand less to use them.

I always thought the shorter rule was stupid. If your intention is to beat your horse w/the whip, you can do it no matter how short/long the whip is :(

lewin
Aug. 2, 2009, 01:21 PM
Mine are all longer as my horse is big and has a long back. With the short whips I have to move my hand out of position to use my whip if my horse is bent to the opposite side of the whip. My new favorite whip is the Fleck soft-touch whip. The end has a padded tube of leather instead of a lash. It makes more noise and has a solid touch but it doesn't sting unless you use it really hard. (I tried it out on myself first of course.)

Janet
Aug. 2, 2009, 01:50 PM
Shorter.
Don't want to risk taking a too long whip into Eventing dressage.

Also never felt a need for a longer one.

Dressage Art
Aug. 2, 2009, 03:01 PM
The only time that I use the very long whip (even longer than 120sm) when I work on the half steps, then I can touch the hind legs of my mare. Also no whisk at the end. I also use "Fleck" brand very long whip that more resembles a bamboo, than a whip, since I don’t want my horse have ANY discomfort doing half steps – I try to make them fun with slight “tapping”, rather than drilling with constant "whacking".

slc2
Aug. 2, 2009, 05:25 PM
I have a couple different lengths of whips. I use whichever one fits best.

Bogey2
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:09 PM
it depends on the size of the horse I am riding

Mike Matson
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:55 PM
As Rudy Rostek of the SRS said at a clinic: "Why are you American riders training with a short whip?" His point was you often need the longer whips for training. I use one of the new SRS 130 cm whips on my longer backed warmblood. Allows one to touch the hind legs, if needed, without much hand movement.

slc2
Aug. 2, 2009, 07:06 PM
that works out lovely when you train your own horse from cradle to grave. when someone else teaches the horse to be scared to death of the whip, it works out a little better to use a short whip sometimes. Too, if the horse is a big mover with a lot of engine, the rider might not have the steadiest hands, a shorter whip is easier to control.

joiedevie99
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:08 PM
I ride with a 120 at home. I prefer the Superflex Fleck. However, I use a 110 in the ring, just because I don't want it to be measured over.

Pat Thrasher
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:15 PM
I have a Morgan who is not so big, and the shorter whip is just fine for its primary use, which is flicking flies off him :lol:. It is also fine for tapping behind my leg when he decides to blow off the leg aid.

When I ride larger horses (17 handers) I do like a longer stick.

EqTrainer
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:17 PM
that works out lovely when you train your own horse from cradle to grave. when someone else teaches the horse to be scared to death of the whip, it works out a little better to use a short whip sometimes. Too, if the horse is a big mover with a lot of engine, the rider might not have the steadiest hands, a shorter whip is easier to control.

Ah yes, this reminds me of selling horses..

me screaming "DROP THE WHIP! DROP IT ! DROP IT!!!!"

as they whack my horse unintentionally..

Just remembering those things makes me need a cocktail!

ASB Stars
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:10 PM
Is there a reason to need a cocktail? I mean, really. :lol:

Seriously, I was once told, by someone who I consider to be a pompous ass, that carrying a whip is like carrying your sabre into battle; it is just DONE! I have several lengths of whips in the barn, but generally, I carry something longer, and with better "feel". If I need to whack 'em, I don't want to touch their mouth, and I want to get the appropriate area in gear...

bort84
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:50 AM
I like to get inexpensive whips in multiple lengths = ) I honestly feel that even a 42" whip is too long on my appy, but he's a short backed horse and very forward anyway. I like a 39" on him. However, on bigger horses, a 42" or perhaps even a 47" feels best. It totally depends on the horse.

And there is DEFINITELY a reason to need a cocktail with some of the riders that come in to ride sale horses... YIKES! They want a big moving warmblood, and they swear they ride at FEI. Then Mr. Big WB starts trotting, and a look of sheer terror spreads across FEI Ammy's face. Hands and butt start bouncing in unison and then the crop and spurs get in on the action too, haha. Poor Mr. Big WB can't understand what the heck is going on up there and may produce a buck before you can get FEI Ammy to drop her crop, take off her spurs, stick to the posting trot or maybe just the walk... Then FEI Ammy may proceed to tell you that this horse clearly does not have the talent for FEI because his trot just is NOT big enough and that you've wasted her time and should reimburse her for her flight, hahahaa.

Selling horses often requires MULTIPLE cocktails, haha.

retreadeventer
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:05 PM
ROFL...:) Love the word picture....
I prefer the balance of the whip over the length as a determining factor but honestly I do not know the brands of the whips I have now...I buy all at Dressage at Devon usually from the vendors there each year. Gloves, whips, stuff like that.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:25 PM
The shorter, mainly because I still haven't figured out how to carry it properly:eek: and not inadvertently tap my horse on occasion.

Sabine
Aug. 4, 2009, 01:31 AM
I try to ride without a whip and do so increasingly- as I really believe in Carl Hester's philsophy of truly forward/in front of the leg horses- that never lag and never are allowed to lag- thus reserving the whip for special work- like some Pi/Pa and corrections...

so in essence the whip length doesn't really matter...;)!~

tazlover08
Aug. 4, 2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.doversaddlery.com/fleck-perfect-balance-dressage-whip/p/X1-1462/cn/127/

Fleck Perfect Balance is my lifeee. I like longer whips, but this one is so easy to move around that it's not too disruptive to train even with a shorter one. :).

MyReality
Aug. 5, 2009, 05:36 PM
I actually don't know how long my whip is. And I don't know how short is the shorter whip. I always pass tack check though. :D

I just know mine is long enough is touch the bump of the horse or behind the leg or wherever is suitable.

I am very picky about also the amount of flexibility in the whip. Don't like too stiff, don't like too soft.

I also like a whip where the horse can feel it touching when I use the whip to touch the skin, as sometimes I want less than a tap, just a subtle reminder is enough sometimes.

I have the perfect whip right now and I almost cried last time I thought I losed it.

atr
Aug. 7, 2009, 11:15 PM
No idea what length mine is either... 110, I suspect. It does the job and I'm less likely to poke my, or anyone else's eye out with it.

But it is nice and light and very balanced, and an obnoxious burgundy color so no-one will steal it (no, it's not the one I take in the show ring :))

fatorangehorse
Aug. 8, 2009, 01:20 PM
I have a long backed horse and I like to easily touch him on his croup and hip . I agree with one of the previous posters - You can abuse a horse with any size whip. You can't regulate idiocy.