PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of this 4 yrs; dressage or hunter ?

Leena
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:27 AM
I am a bit mixed up and don't really know where this fellow will perform the best. I am riding him on this video and we do have a very little canter work so far.

It took time to improve his trot since he had sore front feet; I have to change farrier and it is getting along since a month.

He could be more forward but can you give an opinion ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxcGI4ObQwc

caddym
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:50 AM
i like this horse for dressage - but there is no overstep in the walk - but you didn't show much walk.

Is there overstep?

what is the breeding?

Leena
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:54 AM
Can you educate me ? What is an overstep ?

He is trakehner cross with swiss warmblood.

Trakehnerlover
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:01 AM
an overstep is where the back hooves, while walking, step up and they land in front of the tracks the front feet just left. It shows that the horse is really using its hind end in the walk.

piaffequeen
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:03 AM
I don't see why you can't do both-dressage is always a good base for starting all jumping-you would have to see how he jumps and what he likes to do. Good Luck!

Leena
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks Trakehnerlover.

Well frankly I have not checked this but we got good marks on walk on Intro test, especially at free walk.

Piaffequeen, I share your opinion a 100% ! Dressage is always a good base.

caddym
Aug. 2, 2009, 12:04 PM
like I said, there was not much walk on the clip.

If you got good scores in an intro test, then the walk is probably ok. What you did show on the clip was a walk with nice clear, flat footed,4 beats - which is good. (ie no tension or jigging)

A dressage horse really needs to show overstep in all but the collected walk. without it, the scores for the walk(especially for med and extended walk) will not be good and this will also reflect in the collective marks. The walk can not really be improved in this regard.

Leena
Aug. 2, 2009, 12:15 PM
Caddym, that is an interesting comment and I'll take a look at his walk.

As I said, his feet were mainly a problem so now that this has been fixed, he is improving a lot in his gaits. As the trimming goes, I believe his gaits will again change a lot.

slc2
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:10 PM
I am not worried about the walk of the horse. It is fine. He looks very green and off balance under saddle, so I would not be making assumptions right now about limitations of his gaits, even the walk. He is not stretching right now, or balanced enough to reject his walk.

An overstep is not going to 'break' a dressage horse. This is a mistaken idea. The walk is judged on many things. Overstep is just one thing.

You did not show the horse jumping so I cannot tell if he is a good natural jumper.

I am surprised you say he could be more forward. Maybe the video just plays too fast, but the video does look like he is quick and somewhat off balance.

EqTrainer
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:17 PM
I agree w/slc.. can you freejump him somewhere, Leena? That will help answer your question, even tho' it would not change what you are doing w/him today.

Leena
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:33 PM
Well, free jumping is the next step.

Thanks for the good comments ! He is a nice fellow but this hooves story delay a lot in our training.

ridgeback
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:36 PM
Can't say you need to see if it jumps and if it can jump well. 4 years old you can jump it with a rider on it (just don't do a ton of jumping) if hunter people come to look at it they will:)

Lora
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:56 AM
Maybe it is just me but I think the "video is on speed"! It is very fast??

Looks like a good horse for dressage.

Leena
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:59 AM
Lora, I'll have to check. He also appears to me quite fast.

rabicon
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:07 AM
Right now he appears to be very green and a little confused. He is really quick from the video. You don't want any more forward you really need impulsion now than the forward. Even in the trot he is not tracking up that well but he does look very green. He could probably do both. I don't think he's got the movement for a A-AA winner but he'd probably have a piece of the hack. Depends on how competitve the circuits are around you. Work on his balance and getting him to use his hindend a little more. He's very cute.

kkj
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:16 AM
I would say he is definitely more of a dressage horse. He is not built like a hunter-- he has a higher point of shoulder, more dressage set neck, is not as horizontal or long as most fancy hunters. I think he will move more dressage like when he is going better. If he jumps well, he could be an eq horse in the future or a jumper (not high level) He could definitely do the hunters if he jumps well, but he is not a classic hunter type.

Leena
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks !

Since his hooves have been fixed and trimmed correctly, he has improved a lot. The video appear to be fast, sorry about this but everybody's comments are great to make up my mind.

kkj, thanks to clarifie some of the differences with hunter type.