PDA

View Full Version : Pony Finals how do you prep?

hype
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:44 AM
With all of the discussion regarding travel etc to Pony Finals, it got me wondering, what is the best way to prep the pony?

If you are hauling in from a long distance do you show the week before, give the pony a week off of showing but keep them fit by riding/schooling?

Do you show two weeks out and then give your pony the week off right before?

rupenthal2
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:02 AM
I think most of the ponies are showing this weekend at Kentucky. It's the prep show. Lots of ponies there!

farmgirl88
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:44 AM
Most of the people who have the money stay and show for the KY show right before pony finals. If your pony doesnt need a lot of prep; dont do it.

When i was there it was hot and miserable and the pony wasn't exactly content with the 100+ temps and the humidity and no turnout for the week. I only showed 3 times the entire year prior to pony finals. I wouldnt worry about showing the week before. i'd save some pony for the show and just do hacks and some light schooling if thats all it needs

most important part of it all is having fun. i went in with an open mind that i had a fancy pony but she wasnt the fanciest there. its prob the biggest show i was ever going to do in my life and i was riding against the bet young riders in the country and ponies who were paid for by the 100K+.

We were 10th o/f and 14th overall so needless to say we did really well but i kept and open mind that i was there for the experience, to have fun, and just to be in KY. I wasnt going to kick myself and get all upset and sobby for not winning anything