PDA

View Full Version : Taking a pony in an open class?

*JumpIt*
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:04 AM
NA

supershorty628
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:50 AM
The black tack won't affect you. As for your other questions, it's a little hard to say without actually seeing him go - when he does the horse strides, is he flat out hand galloping? Or is it easy for him? If he's running, it's going to look bad and will be penalized. If you use your body subtly to balance him, then (at least in theory) the judge shouldn't notice.

Other than that, and no flash (as you said), I think you'll be fine. Do you need the breastplate, or can you go without it? You don't see those in the hunters - they're not illegal, just uncommon.

DeucesWild11
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:27 AM
The black tack shouldn't be a problem, as you said it was locals, so no worries there. And, if you have a decent judge, you should add up, because you ARE on a pony. And the judge will know that. Your pony will look much better adding up. But don't worry, its not like your at a big A show so, no worries! Go out and have some fun!

Hunter Mom
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:55 AM
If you add, be sure to ALWAYS add in that round. Consistency is key in hunters. A nice, flowing round with adds is preferable to a hurried round with the numbers - and definitely preferred to one where you're hurrying to try to get the numbers and end up with a last minute add/chip because they didn't work.

Melzy
Aug. 2, 2009, 04:50 PM
You said the show was C rated. Black tack is not appropriate for ANY Hunter show ring. You said that you care about placing; then follow the rules. The line has to be drawn somewhere whether you agree with it or not. Have fun regardless.

klmck63
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:01 PM
People always say that black tack is a BIG no no, but has anyone ever met a judge that actually really cared? Does anyone even notice? Sure, as a tie breaker or whatever it might be the difference between first or second and at an A show you'd sure stick out, but at a C show?

I would say don't worry about it. But go without the breastplate if you can, that is something that is more noticeable and more easily fixed than having black tack.

Oh, and you should probably clip those feathers if you haven't already. Something small that adds a little bit of polish to your look!

LShipley
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:08 PM
I only go to local and C shows, and since I am an adult on a pony, I am not eligible for any of the pony classes. We always do the pony strides, and so do other riders on ponies, in the mixed pony and horse divisions. I don't feel like this affects our placings at all.

Guin
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:09 PM
You said the show was C rated. Black tack is not appropriate for ANY Hunter show ring. You said that you care about placing; then follow the rules. The line has to be drawn somewhere whether you agree with it or not. Have fun regardless.

Please quote the "rule" that says NO BLACK TACK. :rolleyes:

Tiki
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:25 PM
My pony was in a horse class yesterday, although with a kid up, and she placed 2nd on the flat and I'm sure in the ribbons over fences, but I haven't talked to my trainer yet to find out.