PDA

View Full Version : Front end form in a hunter

forestergirl99
Aug. 1, 2009, 11:50 PM
All the good hunter ponies and horses have nice front end form. Most of them look like this.
http://www.hunterjumpernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Jennifer%20Alfano%20and%20Rock%20Star,%20Grand%20H unter%20Champions%20at%20Buffalo%20International%2 0Horse%20Show,%20Photo%20copyright%202007%20Randi% 20Muster.jpg

Everyone says my horse would be a good hunter, but I don't think he would be. He doesn't keep his cannons as perpendicular to the ground as a lot of hunters do. He is very snappy and tight. I think he looks like more of a jumper. This is him.
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff345/tesseventer101/Forest%201/?action=view&current=5400_1189598025385_1391373234_30536.jpg

So do you think he looks more hunter or jumper? why?

Also, I know hunters has more to do with than just front end form. He wouldn't be a good hunter because he is very forward to jumps, and you really have to hold him. I'm just talking about front end form here though.

fourmares
Aug. 2, 2009, 01:46 AM
Hunters can gallop along... you, however, would need to teach your horse to be more obedient and not to drag you to the fences, which is what it sound like he does now. That would allow you to let go of his face in the air which would let him use his head and neck better. The next thing that you would have to do is stop jumping ahead which weights his front end and makes it difficult for him to use himself well. If you tightened your lower leg and stopped pinching with your knee it would help you better control your upper body. He's quite a handsom fellow and, while he probably wouldn't win at the really big shows, he ought to be able to pin at a B or C show, provided that you found all your spots and rode him softly.

forestergirl99
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:15 AM
Hunters can gallop along... you, however, would need to teach your horse to be more obedient and not to drag you to the fences, which is what it sound like he does now. That would allow you to let go of his face in the air which would let him use his head and neck better. The next thing that you would have to do is stop jumping ahead which weights his front end and makes it difficult for him to use himself well. If you tightened your lower leg and stopped pinching with your knee it would help you better control your upper body. He's quite a handsom fellow and, while he probably wouldn't win at the really big shows, he ought to be able to pin at a B or C show, provided that you found all your spots and rode him softly.

He doesn't drag me to the fences. He is just forward, and if you don't hold him, he will rush the jumps. I don't have to hold a death grip on him or anything. This is a horrible picture of me. So please do not critique me from this picture. This is the only picture I had of him jumping bigger. He way over jumped this jump, and this was the highest I've jumped him. I normally have much better form than this. I can post a video of me riding if you don't believe me. Also, I can't release much with him. If I use anything other than an automatic or a short crest release, it just makes him nervous.

spmoonie
Aug. 2, 2009, 07:27 AM
He doesn't drag me to the fences. He is just forward, and if you don't hold him, he will rush the jumps. I don't have to hold a death grip on him or anything. This is a horrible picture of me. So please do not critique me from this picture. This is the only picture I had of him jumping bigger. He way over jumped this jump, and this was the highest I've jumped him. I normally have much better form than this. I can post a video of me riding if you don't believe me. Also, I can't release much with him. If I use anything other than an automatic or a short crest release, it just makes him nervous.

I think you've answered your own question. As of right now, he could maybe do locals . If you really wanted to do hunters though, and worked on his way of going, his front end is good enough to do B's, C's, and possibly some small A's.