PDA

View Full Version : Best Ring Footing for Hunters

Zipperoo
Aug. 1, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hi all. I'm building a farm in Florida and am trying to figure out the best footing/surface and ring construction possible. At this point, Otto Sport is winning out (same as they just put in KY). If anyone has any other great footing/construction ideas, I would be so thankful. The Otto Sport is incredibly expensive but I don't want to scrimp on this. Thanks for your input!

sinnan
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:32 PM
they are not more expensive than any synthetic footing out there. and you get product for your money.

DMK
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:25 PM
before you put in ANY footing, its a really good idea to understand how it works in very hot/humid regions. there are a whole bunch of racetracks and farms that learned that good footing in most of the US isn't good footing everywhere! ask poplar farm here in GA...

I'd focus on successful synthetic footings already in use in FL in case this type is not one of them.

Wanda
Aug. 15, 2009, 07:06 PM
I believe the Otto system has been installed in Dubai, I would imagine that florida would not be a problem. Also there are many installations in California.

spmoonie
Aug. 15, 2009, 09:24 PM
before you put in ANY footing, its a really good idea to understand how it works in very hot/humid regions. there are a whole bunch of racetracks and farms that learned that good footing in most of the US isn't good footing everywhere! ask poplar farm here in GA...

I'd focus on successful synthetic footings already in use in FL in case this type is not one of them.

I thought the footing at Poplar was marvelous, however, it took me forever to clean it out of the velcro on my horse's boots. I would not want to ride in it on a daily basis. JMO.

florida foxhunter
Aug. 16, 2009, 08:17 PM
I believe the footing at Poplar got VERY hot in the summer, and the "wax melted".........I've also been told it has now been corrected. I showed on it one August, and the poor dogs were burning their pads and the trainers were dying trying to stand on it for schooling.
However, it rained one day, and it was the coolest thing.......NO splashing of mud, and I was cantering around a 3' hunter course with NO questions of slipping or deep footing!

What is the Otto footing you're talking about? Rubber, or "carpet pieces"(synthetic?)? I've seen both lately in FL.........

DMK
Aug. 16, 2009, 09:16 PM
yes, if the tempature is under about 88, poplar is the most insanely awesome footing ever, and if it pours all night? even more awesome. at about 90, you can't put enough water on it or roll it enough, at 100? :dead: and it actually burns through your boots, it heats up so much.

has it been fixed? i thought for sure JP would keep those july dates, but it looks like he surrendered them, and vic now has a show in auburn on those dates.

toomanyponies
Aug. 16, 2009, 09:39 PM
The 'Eurofelt' footing is amazing. There is an outdoor version and indoor version. . .

zoryphoros
Aug. 16, 2009, 11:58 PM
The 'Eurofelt' footing is amazing. There is an outdoor version and indoor version. . .

The only problem with Eurofelt footing is that it gets lodged into my horse's spider pads/wraps itself around his shoes (even his hind/spider-free parts) but otherwise it's amazing and dust free.