PDA

View Full Version : More Pony Praise

hellerkm
Aug. 1, 2009, 07:15 PM
As some of you have read I shipped a pony in for my 5 yr old DD from WI ( we live in PA) I looked high and low for a pony for this kid and the one that "seemed" to match was in WI with trainer Emily Elek. the ponies name is Emily Elizabeth, barn name Lizzy.
Our first two weeks were ROUGH , some GREAT day and some not so great days, a few falls, a few brilliant moves by DD. Up until yesterday I was still a bit on the fence. A friend mentioned that some ponies had low pallets, and did not like jointed bits, she suggested trying a pehlem or one of the Happy Mouth full Mullen bits. I happened to have a pony phelem hanging around the barn so I put it in Lizzy's mouth yesterday. Gave the kid a lesson on how to use two reins and off they went.
Pony has turned into a PERFECT PRINCESS and the kid is AWESOME! finally LET GO of ponies mouth and is trotting all over the ring. Of course SHE has loved pony from day one, and really she is a DREAM to work around, super super quiet, loves having her own "person" and just an all around good girl. But she was a bit quick, and would toss and drop her head so the kid came off balance. The new bit has fixed this issue! Thankfully!
So both DD and I are in love, and pony should be able to do all the things we want and need her to do for at least the next 4 years! then she will go to my youngest DD and start all over LOL! I love it when a good plan comes together ( and trust me up until a few days ago I was on the fence)
so here are some pics, these are from last week before we changed her bit.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/sarasmom6/?action=view&current=DSCN0392.flv

LetsRide
Aug. 1, 2009, 08:19 PM
As some of you have read I shipped a pony in for my 5 yr old DD from WI ( we live in PA) I looked high and low for a pony for this kid and the one that "seemed" to match was in WI with trainer Emily Elek. the ponies name is Emily Elizabeth, barn name Lizzy.
Our first two weeks were ROUGH , some GREAT day and some not so great days, a few falls, a few brilliant moves by DD. Up until yesterday I was still a bit on the fence. A friend mentioned that some ponies had low pallets, and did not like jointed bits, she suggested trying a pehlem or one of the Happy Mouth full Mullen bits. I happened to have a pony phelem hanging around the barn so I put it in Lizzy's mouth yesterday. Gave the kid a lesson on how to use two reins and off they went.
Pony has turned into a PERFECT PRINCESS and the kid is AWESOME! finally LET GO of ponies mouth and is trotting all over the ring. Of course SHE has loved pony from day one, and really she is a DREAM to work around, super super quiet, loves having her own "person" and just an all around good girl. But she was a bit quick, and would toss and drop her head so the kid came off balance. The new bit has fixed this issue! Thankfully!
So both DD and I are in love, and pony should be able to do all the things we want and need her to do for at least the next 4 years! then she will go to my youngest DD and start all over LOL! I love it when a good plan comes together ( and trust me up until a few days ago I was on the fence)
so here are some pics, these are from last week before we changed her bit.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/sarasmom6/?action=view&current=DSCN0392.flv

Is this the new pony the large pony that is three years old?

Is this the 5 year old daughter riding in the video link above that you wrote about in this recent thread "My daughter falls off on a regular basis"

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=4255267#post4255267?

Here was our conversation today.

Me: "well sarah it takes 500 falls before you become a really good rider" trying to be encouraging and remain unphased about her recent ungraceful dismount( fall)

Sarah: " OH GOOD! I am half way there"

I almost died laughing! Sarah is only 5 and she got a new pony last week so there is a huge learning curve! i am just so glad she has a great attitude about it all.
I did remind her that she did not need to fall 500 times this month!!!

You put a pelham bit on the three year old pony with two sets of reins, gave your five year old daughter that falls off a lot a quick lesson on how to use two sets of reins and the new bit fixed your daughter's balance issue?

:confused:

hellerkm
Aug. 1, 2009, 08:38 PM
Is this the new pony the large pony that is three years old?

Is this the 5 year old daughter riding in the video link above that you wrote about in this recent thread "My daughter falls off on a regular basis"

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=4255267#post4255267?

You put a pelham bit on the three year old pony with two sets of reins, gave your five year old daughter that falls off a lot a quick lesson on how to use two sets of reins and the new bit fixed your daughter's balance issue?

:confused:

No pony is 16 yrs old and the 3 yr old goes in a rubber snaffle, sorry to ruin your night.

LetsRide
Aug. 1, 2009, 09:05 PM
No pony is 16 yrs old and the 3 yr old goes in a rubber snaffle, sorry to ruin your night.

Thank you for the clarification. I hope the Pelham bit continues to fix your five year old daughter's balance/falling off issues and keep her safe. CUTE pony BTW. :)

hellerkm
Aug. 1, 2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you for the clarification. I hope the Pelham bit continues to fix your five year old daughter's balance/falling off issues and keep her safe. CUTE pony BTW. :)

the BIT did not fix the balance/falling off issues, the bit fixed the fact that her mouth was sore, ( dentist comes on the 6th, new happy mouth full mullen should arrive on Monday) this fixed the pulling, and dropping her head issue. since the kid is only 40lbs when she pulled and dropped her head suddenly the kid had a hard time staying down in her heels.
I am not a huge fan of of little kids with two reins, even I ( dumb as you assume I am) think its a bit much for a 5 yr old. I tried this only to see if a bit without a joint would help the situation. since it did, I went home, ordered the full cheek, Happy Mouth full Mullen, like I stated it should arrive on Monday and I will switch to that as soon as the mailman gets here. Until then DD will use the new bit and ride with a VERY loose curb rein, the pony is not running away with her or overly heavy in your hands so this bit is not the ideal option, just "an" option until the mail arrives on Monday. Once again COTH amazes me, some posters seem happy to jump to conclusions and put others down every chance they get.