PDA

View Full Version : Bareback Exercises

kateh
Aug. 1, 2009, 05:33 PM
I'm in the last two weeks of my "free lease" situation and I just found out that the mare I've been riding is a really comfy bareback ride. Come fall I'll be back at college where I can only ride once a week in lessons, so I want to take full advantage of this opportunity :D Does anyone have any good bareback exercises-particularly for rider position? My worst flat problem is slouching (back and shoulders) and o/f I tend to jump ahead.

Donkey
Aug. 1, 2009, 10:39 PM
I would school the same as you would with a saddle. Lots of posting trot, two point and eventually some small jumps. It will really strengthen your leg and give you a secure seat. If your confident enough also go for hacks.

JayTee
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:19 PM
Set up a small gymnastic--it will help you strengthen your position so much, especially through your core. If your mare is good, set it up as a chute so that you don't have to worry about steering and can concentrate on your body.

HJPony
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:22 PM
Well..in my opinion your best bareback exercise is a trail ride.:yes:
Given you have one saint of a mare of course.

I would school the same as you would in full tack.

SkipChange
Aug. 2, 2009, 11:27 PM
Set up a small gymnastic--it will help you strengthen your position so much, especially through your core. If your mare is good, set it up as a chute so that you don't have to worry about steering and can concentrate on your body.

Definitely. Jumping bareback should help jumping ahead as I find it very difficult to jump ahead without a saddle.