PDA

View Full Version : Darkening a Hadfield bridle

spmoonie
Aug. 1, 2009, 04:06 PM
I have had my Hadfield bridle for about 4 months now and although it is butter soft, It is still the same "new Hadfields" color as when I bought it. I used one light coat of Neatsfoot oil when I bought it, but I was scared to do anything else since it said to not oil it at all. How can I get it to that beautiful mahogany color?

Pony Soprano
Aug. 1, 2009, 05:41 PM
I have had the same problem with mine that I have had for about 1.5 years. I was afraid to oil it at the begining and so it is really not as dark as I would like it on the front of the noseband and browband. I do oil it occasionally now when I get a wild hair that I can make it darker, but it doesn't seem to change much.

spmoonie
Aug. 1, 2009, 08:01 PM
Anyone else?:confused:

Lucassb
Aug. 1, 2009, 08:52 PM
I use olive oil on mine. Yes, the kind you use on salad dressing. I use it on all my new tack (and have done so for years) with very good results.

My horse is black so I cannot stand having lighter colored tack... it all needs to be the proper dark mahogany color. This is how it comes out:

spmoonie
Aug. 1, 2009, 09:21 PM
I use olive oil on mine. Yes, the kind you use on salad dressing. I use it on all my new tack (and have done so for years) with very good results.

My horse is black so I cannot stand having lighter colored tack... it all needs to be the proper dark mahogany color. This is how it comes out:

Thanks! I rinsed and rubbed it with an amonia/water mixture this afternoon to get it really clean and get any soap/conditioner off of it. I just put a coat of olive oil on it, and so far so good! It looks better all ready! :D