PDA

View Full Version : I need help with my lower leg!

curlykarot
Aug. 1, 2009, 11:52 AM
So it has come to my attention that my lower leg is not as stable as I thought. I need some suggestions for exercises that will help stablize and strenghten my lower leg.

Last week I had a flat lesson without stirrups and yestersday I trotted and cantered a crossbar without stirrups (need a lot of work on that!)

Any exercises that I can do? I'm going to be working on this very hard for the next few months so the more exercises the better!

EiRide
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:39 PM
So it has come to my attention that my lower leg is not as stable as I thought. I need some suggestions for exercises that will help stablize and strenghten my lower leg.

Last week I had a flat lesson without stirrups and yestersday I trotted and cantered a crossbar without stirrups (need a lot of work on that!)

Any exercises that I can do? I'm going to be working on this very hard for the next few months so the more exercises the better!

Well, you've got the without stirrups part--sitting, posting, and two point on the flat, and of course jumping small jumps. As you get more secure you can work up to grids and gymnastics without stirrups. My old coach made us do that with a mug of her morning coffee back in the day when I was a wee tot. :-)

Another thing you can do--and this will HURT if you over do it, so take it in short bits!--is to hike your stirrups way up and ride in two point. This is hard to balance at first and your muscles will scream at you in no time flat, but it is very very good for building a strong and secure leg and position. Start out at your jumping height and try pulling them up 4 or 5 holes. You'll feel very perched! Just ride around at whatever pace you can manage; you can work up to trot, canter, and small jumps also, but take it in stages so you don't tumble off or pull a muscle.

Also, off horse I would suggest doing daily stretches and leg toning exercises--do jumping jacks, knee tucks, squats, leg lifts, etc. I practice martial arts and it is amazing how a few years of that makes for a nice strong core and leg. I think I am tighter in my tack now in my low 40s than I was in my middle 30s when I was not in such good shape.

showponies
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:43 PM
All great excersies, SADDLE TITE:D

jetsmom
Aug. 1, 2009, 02:45 PM
Two point w/o using reins or neck to balance. Do transitions without coming out of 2 point. W/C/T/C/W/T etc.