PDA

View Full Version : How do ponies work?

SarahandSam
Aug. 1, 2009, 10:01 AM
Other than grain in--butterflies and sunshine out, that is. (; My Sam is a large pony that I bought for myself, since I'm a very short adult. I love him to death and hope to keep him forever. I know that we'll never really be competitive together, because he's probably too small to get the lines for a/a or a/o classes, and I'm too chicken to do much with him anyway, but he's perfect for me to just enter some small shows on and have fun with, which is what I want.

He's kind of turned into a really nice mover though, and one of the eq kids at the barn hacked him the other day and she and my trainer and everyone were all talking about "getting him ready for Pony Finals next year"... I know it's probably just all joking, but it did make me curious as to how it works when you're the owner of a pony and want to do stuff like that. Do most pony owners lease out their pony to a kid, who pays for the show expenses and so on? Or does the owner pay for the showing and find a willing and able kid to ride? This just seems like a very expensive but interesting segment of horse showing that I don't know much about, and it's whetted my curiosity... my only knowledge comes from "The Monday Horses" and I'm rather hoping (perhaps naively) that that ace-filled crazy pony world is a little more wholesome now... (:

Silk
Aug. 1, 2009, 10:25 AM
I am not sure I want to touch the last part of your question;) In some ways, the pony world has gotten worse. To be fair, there are a number of very good, honest pony people out there. Theree are also some pretty unscrupulous pony people.

Are you at a barn that has a knowledgeable trainer who is familiar witht he A rated shows? To qualify for pony finals your pony must win a championship in the large pony division with an eligable junior rider (under 18) on him. He must also have a pony measurement card. Thats just the start of it.

How you work your "deal" is up to you. I have one that I give pony kids "free" rides on...he is tough and if they can stick to him, they can ride him;) I have one that I lease out to a kid each year. He is getting older so he does the SS to 2'3" now. Its hard to find a good, competitive pony rider.

Anyway, your pony can take you, as an adult to many shows, even rated ones. There are a number of 2'6" divisions that adults can ride ponies in at both rated and unrated shows!

Be aware, I believe if an adult shows a pony, a junior cannot show the same pony at the same show.

I assume you are an ammy, not a pro? Have fun with him. I love my ponies.

Oh to answer your title question, "how do ponies work?"

My answer is: As little as they possibly can - LOL!!!

SarahandSam
Aug. 1, 2009, 10:48 AM
Oh to answer your title question, "how do ponies work?"

My answer is: As little as they possibly can - LOL!!!

LOL... that does sum them up. d;

Yeah, I shouldn't even mention the "Monday Horses" sort of environment in ponies... I know that kind of stuff still exists in showing in general but I was hoping maybe at least it didn't happen as much in ponies, kinda naive of me... don't want to start a trainwreck there.

Thanks for your response... I do ride at a barn that does all the A shows and Florida and has qualified ponies for finals before, so if I did want to go that route I know I have the resources here. Didn't know that about a pony not being able to show at the same show with both junior and adult riders... that's interesting to know. I would be perfectly happy just showing in the little teensy fences division all my life, so my guy is perfect for me there. d;

showponies
Aug. 1, 2009, 11:01 AM
I think it is fun to watch one of my ponies go around with a kid on...As for leasing or you paying, it all depends..Is this your goal??? Then maybe finding a kid that is a talented young rider, but the parents just can't afford it, it is always nice to be a sponcer for a year or two..If the trainer has a kid that can lease your pony, then it is uselly 10% of his "Sale" price plus insurance...

And by the way I think it is WONDERFUL you bought a lg pony instead of a horse for you self!!! More adults need to explore this .....

SarahandSam
Aug. 1, 2009, 11:18 AM
And by the way I think it is WONDERFUL you bought a lg pony instead of a horse for you self!!! More adults need to explore this .....

Thanks! I buy everything else child-size, might as well buy a horse the same way. d; My first horse was just 15.1 and even that seemed a little big to me. Ponies are absolutely fabulous; I love the personality and they're too darn cute. Here's my little bugger and me, I think we're a good fit...
http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/40214/2322907850103168069S600x600Q85.jpg

showponies
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:44 PM
What a perfect pair....

LovesHorses
Aug. 1, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have young hunters ponies. If I need a good kid to get solid miles, then I pay the bills. Now if I ever manage to keep one long enough for it to be made, I would consider leasing for 30% of the sales price per yr, plus all associated expenses and insurance.

I live in CA so getting to Pony Finals would be a very expensive venture. If I lived closer I would be all over that!

superpony123
Aug. 1, 2009, 05:27 PM
There are a number of different ways in which a pony works:

From pg 50567 of Superpony's Unabridged Dictionary:

A working pony (noun) - an oxymoron

Superpony's Factbook Encyclopedia Thingamabob, pg 9887:

How ponies work:

- they don't

- they enjoy fine dining, picnics, eating out, pig out, feast, gormandize, snack, go to the buffet, consume, cut the lawn, devour, etc. The items (edible and nonedible. Grass, poptarts, carrots, the fan's cord that's jussst within reach if I stretch my head far enough out of my stall, grain) which go in, they go through an invisible system hidden in the belly of the horse, where fairies use it for energy, and then to show their gratification, sunshine and rainbows come out the other end.

SarahandSam
Aug. 1, 2009, 05:28 PM
There are a number of different ways in which a pony works:

From pg 50567 of Superpony's Unabridged Dictionary:

A working pony (noun) - an oxymoron

Superpony's Factbook Encyclopedia Thingamabob, pg 9887:

How ponies work:

- they don't

- they enjoy fine dining, picnics, eating out, pig out, feast, gormandize, snack, go to the buffet, consume, cut the lawn, devour, etc. The items (edible and nonedible. Grass, poptarts, carrots, the fan's cord that's jussst within reach if I stretch my head far enough out of my stall, grain) which go in, they go through an invisible system hidden in the belly of the horse, where fairies use it for energy, and then to show their gratification, sunshine and rainbows come out the other end.

ROFLMAO!

enjoytheride
Aug. 1, 2009, 06:09 PM
If you lease your pony out the child would pay the lease price (which might include shoes and include most or all of any vet work needed) as well as any training or showing costs). If you want free training you might offer the pony for a free lease and have the child only pay the showing/lesson costs.

pony4me
Aug. 1, 2009, 07:04 PM
You would have to figure out what division your pony should be in, and he would have to show in that division at other shows to win and get qualified for Pony Finals. Eligibility for the Large Green Pony division is based on what height he has shown at. If he's shown higher than the limit, he's not eligible green. Consult a rule book expert for the specifics. If he has to do the regular Large division he would have to show at 3' I believe. Right now is a good time to think and learn about Pony Finals because they are coming up very soon.

SarahandSam
Aug. 1, 2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks everybody... I just wanted an idea of how the whole pony-showing thing worked. I didn't really intend on having anyone show him, although he did clear a 2' log jump today as though it were 3'6" (I did not end up in the same place as him, tragically) so "pony finals" keeps getting muttered and maybe I should actually think about it seriously. d; If we did though it wouldn't be until next year so I'm not too worried about it now. I'd just like to know what my options are in case he still seems to show promise in the future and it comes up. Thanks! (: