PDA

View Full Version : Boarding/trainers in the Tallahassee, FL area?

*Liz*
Jul. 31, 2009, 09:48 PM
Solution found.

Taken By Storm
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:46 AM
I used to live in the Tally area. Where are you boarding now? If she is still in the area, Jeanie Casati is an excellent trainer if you can get past some of her personality traits. (nothing bad, just interesting) She was at a new farm a couple of exits east of the I90 exit (that led to the university, it was about 40-45 min drive from the dorms at FSU and really easy). There is also The Farm which seemed to have nice facilities. There is also a really nice place I rode at that was just down the street from a tack shop that was on a person's farm. (can't remember the name, sorry, only lived there a year about 4 years ago :) One of the owner's names was Kitty Watkins. Big stalls, big pastures, nice fencing, and great grass rings. There was also a guy there, a local BNT, that seemed to have a nice a barn (can't for the life of me remember his name) but he seemed to be more into the ponies (that may be where you are).

Those are the only places I can think of that I found at the time when I was looking for a place to board my horse - but then left after only attending FSU for a year when my parents bought a farm near USF.

Good luck, there are some slim pickings up there from what I remember. You may need to head out along I10 to find what you are looking for.

*Liz*
Aug. 1, 2009, 01:08 AM

Taken By Storm
Aug. 1, 2009, 01:43 PM
Wow, didn't know the floors at The Farm were wood.

The only numbers I have for Jeanie Casati are 4 years old but I will PM them to you along with the only one I have for Kitty. She didn't own the place, but was working out it. It was a newly built barn on newly cleared land (again, 4 years ago).

The Watkins place is really nice, plenty of shade trees and paddocks that come off the stalls (which are 14' by 14') and great pastures. At the time, they were offering board (both stall and pasture) but I think the stalls were self care. That may have changed by now. Like I said, they were practically next door to one of the few tacks shops. This tack shop was a converted house next to the owner's barn. It was on a small dirt road off of Centerville Rd (I think). There was another barn not far from there, but the stalls were dark and the fencing not really up to par.

Check your PMs :) and good luck

maxxtrot
Aug. 1, 2009, 04:03 PM
liz- wish you where closer to the williston area. i have a 30 acre private farm. do sale horses and my own personal horses. i work as an equine vet tech and live on my farm.would board for the right person, lots of great trainers around here, and i would not have a problem with someone coming in to teach.i am 7 miles to hits as well i think i am a little too far for you though. i don't really know anyone else in that area that i would send you too.good luck

*Liz*
Aug. 1, 2009, 05:23 PM

TPF
Aug. 2, 2009, 06:05 PM
I honestly can't say much about the facilities but we have sold a few horses to Amy Center and Janet Price at Cavallo Farms which is in Lloyd, they do most of the A shows and seem to have happy children and adults too. We also just recently met Marsha Hartford Sapp who is at Southern Oaks Equestrian Center in Tallahassee - she does the FSU riding team too. They are all very nice people, you might want to check those places out. If you can't find phone numbers on the internet PM me and I will get them for you. Good luck!

TallyTaz
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:06 PM
I second Marsha Hartford Sapp at Southern Oaks Equestrian. When I was in school in Tallahassee, I boarded my gelding at her farm. She and the rest of the people there were very nice and no drama. She helped me out quite a bit when I had to come home because of a broken foot and took care of my horse for 3 months while I was out. He also got injured in this time and I was kept updated by phone, e-mail, and pictures from Marsha. She does have a website and if you would like to PM me for more info, go ahead. I boarded with Marsha for almost a year.

*Liz*
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:52 PM

TPF
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:58 PM
Good luck with Marsha - she seems very nice and knowledgeable - glad to hear a former boarder felt the same way!

Key Influential
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:37 PM
I just have to chime in here.
I keep my two horses with Marsha and I can't be happier.

Marsha is a complete horseperson, she breeds, trains and shows. She has a diverse clientele from Pony riders (my daughter) to older timid adults (me!).
I know that she is considered a fabulous local resource in terms of training issues, horsecare and breeding. In fact, she is helping us breed a custom foal for my daughter. She has tons of experience with young horses.

Having moved to Southern Oaks from another barn, I can tell you that this was a great decision.

The barn is super nice too...auto sprayers, new wash rack, great food. If you have requests, ie turnout, suplements, etc. Marsha is super accomodating.

Best of luck in your search.

TallyTaz
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:51 PM
Liz, I did the same thing you did when I drove by for the first time! Marsha's farm is actually at the end of that dirt road where you see her sign, not the small barn at the front with only a few horses. If you drive down that dirt road, it opens up to all of the pastures and the barn. You just have to keep driving!

florida foxhunter
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:19 PM
You're welcome to PM or call me. I know all of the trainers in the Tallahassee area and will be glad to give you info and phone numbers for any or all.......

Berry0317
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:48 AM
Sent you a PM

*Liz*
Aug. 3, 2009, 05:18 PM