PDA

View Full Version : Charles Owen helmet sizing

luckeys71
Jul. 31, 2009, 08:32 PM
I have just about decided that I am going to order a CO JR8 helmet. I checked at the local tack shops and they don't carry them, so I have no idea how the sizing runs. I have 2 very old IRH helmets. The non-approved ones with the snap out clear harness. They are both 7 1/8 and a bit tight. After about half an hour they start to hurt. I figured I probably needed to move up to 7 1/4. According to my measurement and the Charles Owen size chart, I would need 6 7/8! Is that possible? Do they seem to run large?

PletchersMom
Jul. 31, 2009, 08:41 PM
I had a post alittle while ago and here is the response I received:

Sizing goes as follows:

1 = 6 3/4
1 1/2 = 6 7/8
2 = 7
2 1/2 = 7 1/8
3 = 7 1/4

Hope this helps!

luckeys71
Jul. 31, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'm not really sure what this means.
The chart I was looking at had 56cm as 6 7/8. That's the measurement I came up with, several tries. Just seems awful small, especially since I have 7 1/8s that seem a hair tight. I hate to get the wrong size and have to send it back.

PletchersMom
Jul. 31, 2009, 09:29 PM
I purchased my CO JR8 from Smartpak and ordered a 7 1/8". I normally wear a size 59 in GPA helmets. The 7 1/8" is snug, and I could have possibly went to a 7 1/4". With that said, I would definately order from SmartPak, and I did see a free shipping code on this site too.

Best of luck!

joiedevie99
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:21 AM
I'm not really sure what this means.
The chart I was looking at had 56cm as 6 7/8. That's the measurement I came up with, several tries. Just seems awful small, especially since I have 7 1/8s that seem a hair tight. I hate to get the wrong size and have to send it back.

I don't understand that size chart either. My head measures exactly 22" around at the correct place (just above eyebrows). I wear a 7 JR8 with my hair down, 7 1/8 with my hair up.

luckeys71
Aug. 1, 2009, 06:56 AM
How much hair do you have? I measure 22 inches, too. I have hair that is long enough to go up, but not a whole lot. It doesn't seem to change the measurement much. Thanks for the help. Maybe I will do 7.

paintlady
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:42 AM
How much hair do you have? I measure 22 inches, too. I have hair that is long enough to go up, but not a whole lot. It doesn't seem to change the measurement much. Thanks for the help. Maybe I will do 7.

Just curious how the 7 fit you. My head measures around 22 to 22.5. I'm trying to decide whether to order a 7 or 7-1/8 in the Charles Owen Hampton. I currently wear a Medium Troxel which lists the size range between 7 and 7 -1/4. I haven't had a helmet with a specific measurement in ages and don't recall what I used to wear.

luckeys71
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:17 PM
I decided to order the 7 1/8. I was getting similar measurements as you. Unfortunately, I got an e-mail back that it is backordered until midAugust! I'll let you know how it fits once it finally arrives!

paintlady
Aug. 5, 2009, 08:46 AM
I decided to order the 7 1/8. I was getting similar measurements as you. Unfortunately, I got an e-mail back that it is backordered until midAugust! I'll let you know how it fits once it finally arrives!

Shoot! I'm leaning towards ordering the 7-1/8 too even though my measurements are closer to the 7. I tried on a 7-1/8 Charles Owen in a different style at my local tack shop (they didn't have a 7) and it seemed to fit. I just hate the thought of going through the hassle of returning it if it's too big. I need to order online since none of my local tack shops stock the Hampton in navy. I hope it's not backordered. I was really hoping to have it by my next show which is August 15.