PDA

View Full Version : BM wants me to throw manure over fence, wwyd?

buck22
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:28 PM
I board, self care, at a large private farm. I have a small private corner of the place, consisting of a barn and a couple of paddocks. For the last year, I've been picking up my manure daily from my fields and moving it to a spot outside my paddocks and dumping it. This was an arrangement I had previously discussed with my b/m prior to my moving in. The location of the manure pile is purposeful so there is easy access for a tractor to come in, remove and spread it.

The b/m doesn't often get around to moving the pile though, and its the size of my SUV now. :lol: It doesn't bother me as its tucked away and not an eyesore, it doesn't smell, and isn't swarming with flies. The pile is alarmingly large though.

Through a series of events, my b/m has recently discovered that its easier on everyone if I just toss manure over the fenceline rather than remove it and dump it one location. :lol::lol:

Other boarders on the property, in similar situations as mine, do just this, and nobody is any worse for wear.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've been tossing manure over the fence for the last week, and I'm just starting to see it accumulate in spots. I'm having waking nightmares about what its going to look like come November :lol::lol: Surrounded by a fenceline of poo. :eek::lol:

Am I being a silly prima donna?

I have been doing small compost piles in the paddocks themselves, to encourage my horses to do their business in locations of my choosing, and its been working. But now I'm wondering if I should just try and compost it all. I might just have enough space to accomplish that and still not have the place look all junked up.

The b/m clearly isn't interested in moving the growing pile any longer, and I don't hold that against anyone. I am absolutely privileged to be where I am, they're fabulous fabulous fabulous people, and this is just a quirk that I guess we don't see eye to eye on, I've got quirks aplenty of my own :lol: and I'm sure they could write a book on their take on me.

I have not discussed my feelings with the b/m, I'm afraid to come off like nose in the air princess... I'm sensitive and extremely grateful to be where I am.

wwyd?

eta: my fenceline is thicky wooded and its not an eyesore to anyone

ChocoMare
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:33 PM
Why not advertise your big pile on your local Craig's List and www.freecycle.org (http://www.freecycle.org) sites? "FREE COMPOSTED MANURE PERFECT FOR GARDENERS! Bring your shovel, tractor, back hoe, etc. and take what you want!!"

This way you're not going against your conscience (and I agree with you....I couldn't just chuck it over the fence either), your pile goes away and gardeners get what they need. Everybody's happy! :D

ETA: I self-care board too, so can totally relate ;)

JoZ
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:43 PM
What is over the fence? I assume it isn't another boarder's paddock! Is it wooded? Does the property "over the fence" belong to the same farm or is it county/state/gov/neighbor's land? Will it get sun to kill eggs and other nasties? Could you rake it level every few weeks? Plant tomatoes or some other heavy feeder in it next spring, LOL?

Don't know how long it took to build up an SUV-sized pile... really, the volume is a big factor in how I would answer this question. But if your SUV-o'-poo isn't smelling or covered with flies, I would think that it would be even less obtrusive spread out along a fence... in which case I'd be fine with it. I think! Will know for sure how I feel if you answer a few of my questions in the first paragraph! :D

2DogsFarm
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:44 PM
Um...this is exactly what I do on my own 5ac farmette.

2 horses worth of manure goes over the fenceline every Winter when it's toodangcold for me to bother doing more than that.

The fenceline I use is the right angle where my arena attaches to the barn and in Spring I use the composted manure to plant my "Barn Garden".
Two years ago it gave me a bazillion (hardly an exaggeration!) zucchini & last year it was Sugar Baby watermelons.
This year I had planned sweet corn & pumpkins, but never got around to planting the seeds.

I also spread fresh manure/stall cleanings on my flowerbeds in Fall after everything has died back. It composts over the Winter and I end up with lovely loamy soil to plant in come Spring.

Maybe you can toss out some sunflower or wildfllower seeds & make it beautyous?

Chocomare: I don't know where you are, but I tried advertising my compost on Freecycle. All I got was 2 callers, neither of whom ever showed up.
I do have some Master Gardener friends who make away with a goodly amount of the pile and this year neighbors took almost half for themselves!

harveyhorses
Jul. 31, 2009, 04:05 PM
We do that with what is within 5 ft of the fencline. The rest goes to the pile.
We actually had better luck charging for our 'compost'
$5.00 a load. Going fast!

greysandbays
Jul. 31, 2009, 04:34 PM
Well the idea isn't all wet. It fertilizes outside the paddock and makes the next summer's grass very green. And unpalatable to horses. An old remedy for keeping horses from leaning over/under the fence ("the grass is always greener!") before good electric fence was widely available was to spread the manure under and just outside the fence.

buck22
Jul. 31, 2009, 07:56 PM
BAAAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAHHHAAAAA SUV-o'-poo
thanks, now I have smattered my cabernet all over my keyboard : )

Why not advertise your big pile on your local Craig's List and www.freecycle.org (http://www.freecycle.org) sites? "FREE COMPOSTED MANURE PERFECT FOR GARDENERS! Bring your shovel, tractor, back hoe, etc. and take what you want!!"
I wanted too, I offered many times, I'm near Mushroom city PA, and farmers love horse manure, especially mine sans shavings... but with the b/m, it just never seems to work out. I say, "I'll advertise" etc, and its "oh, so and so is supposed to be here tuesday to pick it all up" and.... well.... I *do* take a good portion home for my own gardens though. My maters loff my pony poo :) and really, the SUV o' Poo bothers me not, its just the new deal of over the fence.

What is over the fence?
basically woods... light woods, shrubs and honeysuckle and the like. About 50' to any street or neighbors property from the fenceline out.

I assume it isn't another boarder's paddock!
haha, nope, I'm pretty secluded actually... tucked away in a bit of a wooded nook. here:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/buck1173/3rd%20am%20margos/IMG_1307.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/buck1173/3rd%20am%20margos/IMG_1304.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/buck1173/3rd%20am%20margos/IMG_1311.jpg

Does the property "over the fence" belong to the same farm or is it county/state/gov/neighbor's land? Will it get sun to kill eggs and other nasties? Could you rake it level every few weeks? Plant tomatoes or some other heavy feeder in it next spring, LOL?
yes, is all the farm's land, I could toss poo in any direction and it would be just fine. No, it will NOT get sun to kill eggs, the fence line is the wood line basically. I cannot rake it, well, not practically speaking anyhow. No, I cannot plant anything that likes sunshine (trust me... I germinate 200 varieties of tomato each year, and only have room to plant 50, its torture, I am DYING for space to plant toms... if I could find place at my barn I would in 2 seconds.... as it is I'm eyeing a slot near the dressage ring to plow for a garlic bed, hahaha!)

2 horses worth of manure goes over the fenceline every Winter when it's toodangcold for me to bother doing more than that.
haha, what?!? you don't chase frozen manure marbles over uneven terrain with an oversized fork in -9°???? haha. I executed poo-picking-perfection this past winter, in arctic temps... and now I feel like a giant jack-ass :) hahahaha

The fenceline I use is the right angle where my arena attaches to the barn and in Spring I use the composted manure to plant my "Barn Garden".
Two years ago it gave me a bazillion (hardly an exaggeration!) zucchini & last year it was Sugar Baby watermelons.
This year I had planned sweet corn & pumpkins, but never got around to planting the seeds. I also spread fresh manure/stall cleanings on my flowerbeds in Fall after everything has died back. It composts over the Winter and I end up with lovely loamy soil to plant in come Spring. Maybe you can toss out some sunflower or wildfllower seeds & make it beautyous?
Trust me, I would love nothing more, but there is no sunshine at all reaching the fence line... its wooded just thick enough.

Really, my fantasty??? I want roses... I've never grown roses and I hear they love pony poo... I want roses in the worst possible way, lovely heirlooms that will grow for 100 years. But, there really just is no sunshine, its all blotted out by trees.

Well the idea isn't all wet. It fertilizes outside the paddock and makes the next summer's grass very green. And unpalatable to horses. An old remedy for keeping horses from leaning over/under the fence ("the grass is always greener!") before good electric fence was widely available was to spread the manure under and just outside the fence.
thanks. fortunately I don't have that problem, there is no grass on the other side of my fence, just leaf litter.

Thanks all, I love this board. I guess I'll do a combo, compost for my gardens back home, and toss a bit over the fence and see what happens.

Thank you all!

nightsong
Aug. 2, 2009, 05:34 AM
Sounds like you're going to be surrounded by battalions of flies come summer.