PDA

View Full Version : Indulge me - have never asked for a critique before

MDPONYMOM
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:39 PM
I was flipping through some show pictures online of DD and her pony from earlier in the summer and when I got to this one, I thought huh, maybe, maybe send it in to GM for a critique (when they get to it a few years from now). I am going to buy it anway, but I thought first i would let you guys have a go at it. Rider and pony are mine, so have it.:)

Thanks.

http://www.hoofprintimages.com/mp_client/pictures.asp?pagenum=17&action=viewphotos&size=fullsize&id=2586027&imagename=FD2(6-13-09)0217t.jpg

rabicon
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:42 PM
Says session has expired. I can look up the event and find her on the page if you tell me the event and page # and what pony looks like.

MDPONYMOM
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:52 PM
Wow, sorry about that.:( I don't know how to fix it or I would.... Anyway, it is the Foxden Farm Horse Show 6-13-09. Childrens pony hunter, pic 17 out of 20. Bay with blaze over red fence with wishing well standard. Thanks.

It's the second one of that pic, the first is not so good.

rabicon
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:01 PM
Love that pony and little rider!!:yes: Its hard to tell his/her position from the photo you like but the one you don't like its easier so I'm going with that one. He/she looks great except he/she is pinching with his/her knee and that has brought his/her calf off the pony and his/her foot is to far home. Work on relaxing the leg into the heel and not using that knee its also made his/her leg swing back a little but other than that they look great. In the second picture you like you can see the same thing happening in the leg the toe should be turned out a little more so you can get calf on the pony. Pony is adorable with great knees over the little fences. I wouldn't send this one in to GM because they probably won't choose it because its a bad angle. You really need a side shot for them to consider. Every once in a while they'll pick one thats not a side shot but it isn't that head on as yours is. Great picture though, I'd buy it anyway. Kid looks like its on the right track to be an amazing rider.

SkipChange
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:03 PM
It's a hard to critique angle, since I'm not that helpful anyways, but can i say the pony is ADORABLE and they look like a nice pair.

MDPONYMOM
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:10 PM
Sorry about the angle, I guess it is a little more difficult to see. I look at so many of her pictures, I guess, that I can still pick out all of the things wrong with this one and didn't really consider the angle. Thanks for the thoughts though.

The knee thing she is definately working on and has been helped and hurt both this summer by trying LOTS of different saddles in the search for "the one". The one in this pic is a demo and was not "the one". The saddle she ended up ultimately choosing, she says she can not pinch as much with her knee because of the placement of the knee roll and that it helps her to get her calf around pony better.

JumpWithPanache
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:17 PM
Very cute pair! The one thing I'll mention, because I am blind as a bat, is that you might want her helmet to fit a little snugger. In the flat shots she seems to be tilting her head back to see out her glasses. I wear glasses every waking moment and I abolutely hate it when my helmet visor blocks the view through the upper part of my lens. Just a though!

joiedevie99
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:18 PM
Soo cute! Definitely knees off the saddle. If you compare the leg position in the first flat photo (no pony between girth and leg) to the jumping picture (~6" of pony) you can see how far her leg has slipped back from ideal.

hellerkm
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:25 PM
Adorable!!! really pretty pony and your DD is going to be a great pony jock, she needs to strengthen her leg a bit but other wise she looks great. Nice turn out pretty braids, nice eq on the flat ( from what i can tell) but I do agree with the helmet comment, she really looks like she struggles to see!
And PLEASE if pic number 27 is your pony BUY it!! blow it up poster size and give it to your DD for Christmas that is one of the cutest head shots I have ever seen, it looks like something out of the wild Horse Feathers Catalog!!

MDPONYMOM
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks, I will check her helmet. That day was extremely hot and humid and I remember her telling me her glasses were fogging up. So it could have been either the glasses or helmet. And, yes that headshot is her - it is precious isn't it.:D

forestergirl99
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:36 PM
I'll leave the critiquing up to other people, but what does DD stand for? Does GM stand for George Morris? I agree that the pic is at a bad angle so it probably wouldn't be picked. The picture should be practically straight on from the side to get a good critique. =)

hellerkm
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks, I will check her helmet. That day was extremely hot and humid and I remember her telling me her glasses were fogging up. So it could have been either the glasses or helmet. And, yes that headshot is her - it is precious isn't it.:D

YUP really really cute!

beesknees
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:58 PM
Just wanted to say "awwwwwwww!!" what a cute pair!!

llsc
Aug. 1, 2009, 10:28 AM
Your daughter is a lovely rider with very nice eq. Her back is flat, her eyes are up and her release is soft. My only critique is that she is pinching with her knee, which has caused her leg to slip back and her heel to come up. Lots of riding without stirrups will fix that, especially jumping without stirrups.

You pony is very nice too. Great knees.