PDA

View Full Version : Beval Stamford Saddles

huntermom2002
Jul. 31, 2009, 10:31 AM
Does anyone here have one or have ridden in them? If so, how do/did you like it?

PletchersMom
Jul. 31, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have not ridden in the Stamford, but currently have a Gladstone. I like my saddle, but it doesnt fit my knees well. I need a more foreward flap.

theroanypony
Jul. 31, 2009, 10:36 AM
I've ridden in the Stamford, just once. It was really soft and cushy, and I felt like I was put into a really nice position as opposed to having to fight for it like in my saddle.

BAC
Jul. 31, 2009, 11:26 AM
A friend bought one for her daughter about 5 or 6 years ago, it was cheap looking with leather like cardboard IMO and was falling apart a year later. I admit they aren't obsessive about cleaning their tack but they are not abusive either, they were very disappointed with it. Maybe they have improved upon them since then.

SkipChange
Jul. 31, 2009, 11:31 AM
I think my old trainer bought one or two to use on young horses and they are OK I think...sorry that wasn't all that helpful.

I bought the Gladstone this past December and liked it a lot, except it's too narrow my new warmblood...so that lasted all of 8 months. Other than that I was pleased with the quality. My obsessive tack cleaning friend got the gladstone 2-3 years ago and she thinks it is wearing out too quickly--maybe she over oiled it, who knows, but it still looks fine to me.

PinkPonies
Jul. 31, 2009, 11:33 AM
I owned one for about 3 years. It was very balanced and of good quality for the price - didn't fall apart at all and I sold it for almost what I bought it for (bought it during Beval's sale). The leather quality is what you'd expect or better than a saddle in that price range - much better quality than an HDR or Dover saddle, IMO. The leather never got soft and supple and it was always pretty stiff, not awful, but that was my only real complaint with that saddle.

But like I mentioned, as far as comfort and balance I was very happy. And it fit my horse (a big shouldered, narrow TB) very well.

KnKShowmom
Jul. 31, 2009, 11:53 AM
DD tried one of her friend's when she was saddle shopping - said it was very comfortable and she looked great in it except it didn't fit her knee and only comes in a standard flap so we didn't get one.

Saddle was in great shape but owner takes super care of it - doesn't even ride in jeans on it - so don't know about average wear and tear.

Evergreen Hunter
Aug. 1, 2009, 10:35 AM
I bought a Stamford saddle for my daughter a few years ago and it held up really well and she loved it. Unfortunately, she outgrew it but it was a great saddle for the money. I would recommend the saddle.

Marimee2
Aug. 3, 2009, 02:54 PM
I bought one for my daughter and she loves it! Though she is just 8 and only has one other saddle to compare it to!
She origonally had a 14" Pessoa Short Flap that never really broke in for her. The Stamford was soft and "sticky" from the beginning and she loves it. In fact, I just bought her a 15" for her next saddle since I found a good deal on it.
I have ridden in it a bit and really think it's comfy!

Pleased_As_Punch
Dec. 4, 2009, 09:26 AM
I came across a used Beval Stamford for sale online. It's my size, it has a decent chance of fitting the horse I lease, it's in beautiful conditon, and the price is right. Oh, and I'm a shorty and per the Shorty Saddle thread, this seems like a good option.

I am looking to upgrade from an older Courbette Derby that I don't like a whole lot b/c it is orangey, the seat is too big, the seat is quite flat, and the flap is too long. Basically, I want something that looks better and feels better. Note, I do not expect this to be a forever saddle.

Don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on the upgrade because the horse I'm riding, while lovely, is not my forever horse.

So, should I take this chance? Will I like the saddle better than my old one? If I don't (or if it doesn't fit horsey) I'll be able to sell it easily, right?

mroades
Dec. 4, 2009, 10:03 PM
yes, you will like it...I have a student with one and its awesome for the $$

Pleased_As_Punch
Dec. 5, 2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks mroades! The more I think about it, the more I'm sure it will a) be an upgrade and b) have a really, really good chance of fitting me and the horsey.

I made an offer tonight, but haven't heard it it's accepted yet. Send good thoughts my way!

Jersey Fresh
Dec. 5, 2009, 08:48 AM
I had one and only sold it because I found my "dream" saddle for a price I couldn't turn down. I really liked it, it was comfy and put me in a good position. Its not a high level saddle so don't expect it to be the same quality as a Butet or something. But mine broke in quickly and didn't wear too badly. I was never able to get the orange color to go completely away but it did darken over time (just not as dark as I wanted it). I think they are great saddles for the money. And like most Bevals they hold their value for the most part. I bought mine on sale for about $650 (this was in 2000? so when it was the staNford saddle) and sold in in 2007 for $550.

PinkPonies
Dec. 5, 2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks mroades! The more I think about it, the more I'm sure it will a) be an upgrade and b) have a really, really good chance of fitting me and the horsey.

I made an offer tonight, but haven't heard it it's accepted yet. Send good thoughts my way!

Good luck getting the saddle. I was going to chime in that I think you should go for it, but sounds like you already gave it a try. And even if it doesn't work, Beval saddles seem to hold value very well and I bet you could resell it pretty easily.

Palomino
Dec. 6, 2009, 03:20 AM
I have had a Beval Stamford for about 5 years. It broke in well, has worn well, is comfy and puts me in a good position. I have used it on a wide variety of horses and it has fit all of them fairly well (had a saddle fitter check in on a number of horses I ride). The only ones it hasn't fit are the extremes, the really narrow TB's and the wider warmbloods. The leather is decent quality, certainly for the price. It oiled and darkened farily well, except it is two different types of leather, and the leather on the seat and knee rolls didn't darken as nicely as the flap leather, but it still looks plenty nice to show in.