PDA

View Full Version : Breathtaking videos of Edward Gal and Lingh

torontodressage
Jul. 31, 2009, 08:41 AM
Wooooooow :):)

Watch the videos on http://www.offieldfarms.com/Offield/videos

paintjumper
Jul. 31, 2009, 09:11 AM
I find it distracting and my husband wants to know what that movie is playing in the background!!! ;)

Mike Matson
Jul. 31, 2009, 09:11 AM
I agree. :yes:

karin o
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:51 AM
My hope is that the music video reaches many people outside our sport...everything we can try to do to advance dressage in the media is a good thing...Amazing Lingh Video is my attempt to do this. The entire library of films that we have captured has lots of important international rides without background film, but will the husbands watch them ? Horse Dancing.... keyword. pass it on...

Going4Gold
Aug. 2, 2009, 12:06 PM
I agree. :yes:

You agree with everything, specially when someone doesn't use music from a marching band.:lol:

Like one of my students said when i introduced her to your music database.

GRRRRR only music from the stoneage.:yes:

Lamma70
Aug. 2, 2009, 01:14 PM
I absolutely LOVED it! Loved the music too! Very powerful, and matched the horse and rider. I had always heard about Lingh's wonderful freestyle at the World Cup, and was thrilled to watch it.

freestyle2music
Aug. 2, 2009, 01:47 PM
The first time Edward used this music for Lingh. A German judges made the remark :
If he should have used other music he would have won

The next competition a judge stated
"This music is so refreshing and goes so well with the horse"

And after the applause at Las Vegas faded away a new Era in freestyle music was born. And the scores of the judges went through the roof, like it did again in Hickstead.

@ Mike :

You can't fool the public anymore, they are getting too much educated, and dear Mike the time of the brassbands is over.

Theo

nero
Aug. 2, 2009, 09:33 PM
Love the music. Good to see Edward has been, for some time, rejecting the old "blue rinse set" music and helping bring the sport into the 21st century with contemporary music. Edward is a young, edgy guy, why would he choose music from generations ago? Wish more riders would follow suit. I love Totilas' music too.

Dressage Art
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:40 PM
I lile the music as well - if you can hear it good! I think it suits the pair: dramatic and dark for a man and a unique horse that is steering a controversy already. It would be a shame for them to dance to a light disco... And I love the dramatic bells that get your attention during the breathtaking pirouettes! I would ride with that music... IF I had such a dramatic horse :lol:

byt the end, it's the rider that has to listen to that music again and again and again and be exited to ride with it down the Center Line again and again and again!

quietann
Aug. 2, 2009, 10:55 PM
You can't fool the public anymore, they are getting too much educated, and dear Mike the time of the brassbands is over.

My mare would be thrilled to hear this! I had her at UNH as a non-competing entry in June, and just as we came to the main competition area, right by the loudspeakers, there was a CRASH of cymbals and a BLATTT of horns, starting the musical freestyles. Maresy said "No way, I'm outta here!" and it was only the skilled riding of my trainer's assistant that kept her from galloping away. :lol: (Once she got used to the music she got into it and was quite the ham, marching along.)

Fixerupper
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:41 AM
You play to your audience...
Unfortunately...or not, according to your preference...your audience - if you want to win and not just get applause - are the judges..who are largely middle aged conservatives ;) ....go with Carmen or Abba :winkgrin:

In case you didn't get it ... I'm trying to be amusing... (but that doesn't make it any less true :cool:)

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:57 AM
I loved Edward's music with Lingh. I loved it with Totilas, too. I used to be a fashion designer in Paris and you do have music like that for the high fashion runway shows. I also like that Edward has his own style and pushes the boundaries. How boring it would be if all of the riders did the same thing. Edward's gregorian chant music is almost his signature, now. I also like Sunrise's music. I don't particularly care for Steffen's music, because it brings back bad memories of bad music at high school dances. But I get that it appeals to a wide audience because if nothing else they know the words.

Regarding the video, I think it was very cool. I love the concept. I think the parts that work the best are the ones where Edward and Lingh are not too obscured by the imagery, and in particular really liked the parts where the camera was panning across different landscapes - the total effect is like a dreamscape, and an effective interpretation of the music, I think.

freestyle2music
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:01 AM
My mare would be thrilled to hear this! I had her at UNH as a non-competing entry in June, and just as we came to the main competition area, right by the loudspeakers, there was a CRASH of cymbals and a BLATTT of horns, starting the musical freestyles. Maresy said "No way, I'm outta here!" and it was only the skilled riding of my trainer's assistant that kept her from galloping away. :lol: (Once she got used to the music she got into it and was quite the ham, marching along.)

We call this "Turn around and back to the stables music" :D

As i understand from Mike the sound-systems at many competitions in the USA aren't very good, so you (but specially your horse) have a extra problem. My 25 years of experience in making music for the freestyle is that many horses hate to much copper.

On the other hand we don't want what hat happened at Hickstead were the soundboxes were turned toward the public, because one rider had asked for this. The rest of the riders were complaining that they could hardly hear the music.;)

KatieH
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:39 AM
I can't get the music at the moment, but I loved Andreas Helgstrand's music from the Olympics on Matine. Modern, fun and songs that I personally wanted to sing along to! Don't know that a lot of people knew them, but. :)

slc2
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:33 AM
I don't care for the style of the video with the overlays of other videos superimposed over Lingh.

I don't actually care for the style of music in Totilas' new freestyle. To me, it doesn't have enough of a beat, I don't like marches, either but to me his music is too beatless. I don't care at all for old rock music for freestyles any more.

Most of the time, I prefer freestyle music that does NOT sound like a composition custom made for the horse by an expensive composer. And I think it's a shame less classical music is being used; I like classical music.

baymare
Aug. 3, 2009, 12:01 PM
This big techno music style with (as slc mentioned) less beat and more sound really doesn't do it for me. It is as if the emphasis is on theater rather than dance, on glitz and showmanship rather than actual harmony. If this makes me out-of-date, so be it.

And I cannot tell you how much I simply H-A-T-E the techno-pop version of Barber's Adagio for Strings that makes an appearance in Lingh's World Cup performance! Just hideous, giving me an absolute gag-reflex moment during what was a truly amazing ride.

But it is supposed to be subjective, what the hell. If we all agreed I wouldn't bother reading the boards-- long live difference of opinion and lively discussion!

karin o
Aug. 5, 2009, 01:35 PM
I hope that you all will pass the Lingh music video ( on You Tube, Amazing Lingh, key word ) along to your non-horsey friends. We need lots of energy to be out there for the World Equestrian Games - getting folks to buy tickets to watch the dressage ( eventing and CDI) is a great goal. If they become familiar with our "dancing partners" they will want to come and watch in person.

I hope everyone gets on this bandwagon, Karin

Dressage Art
Aug. 5, 2009, 02:34 PM
I used to be a fashion designer in Paris and you do have music like that for the high fashion runway shows.YEP!!! That music has a classy feel to it if, a bit different from the "high school dance" feel.

I also like Sunrise's music.
They are my favorites in music and how they show with it!

Dressage Art
Aug. 5, 2009, 02:42 PM
the sound-systems at many competitions in the USA aren't very good, so you (but specially your horse) have a extra problem.During one of my freestyles, a local show had a small boom box and somebody held a microphone to it. Music was fading in and out as I rode toward it and away from it = I could hardly hear it. However, a bunch of people next to the microphone were commenting of my ride and microphone picked that up as well :lol: it's a good thing that they liked my mare & our music ;)

bort84
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:17 PM
We need lots of energy to be out there for the World Equestrian Games - getting folks to buy tickets to watch the dressage ( eventing and CDI) is a great goal. If they become familiar with our "dancing partners" they will want to come and watch in person.

That is a great goal, unfortunately, with ticket prices as high as they are, I doubt there are going to be a lot of non-horsey or even non-dressagey folk at the WEG for dressage. Heck, I'm not sure if I'm going to fork over the cash for the WEG, and I'm dying to go! Haha.

As far as the music discussion goes, I tend to not like freestyles like SP's... The multiple popular songs always sound like they're being played by a beginner on a keyboard, and I don't like it. I prefer music that becomes almost unnoticeable. I feel like when I'm watching Anky or Isabell perform, I usually just notice how well the music matches the horse, not how nice the music itself is. I haven't actually thought about the music in their freestyles, but that's the feeling I usually get from them (Except for that one freestyle for Salinero where Anky was humming over the music... That was a bit odd, though the rest of the music was nice.)

The music in EG+Lingh's freestyle at Vegas was just a smidge frantic for my taste. The beat wasn't quite strong enough to give the horse a chance to really get in time with the music. Music is obviously a VERY personal thing, so no surprise that everybody is all over the map in this discussion, haha.

CTM
Aug. 6, 2009, 07:09 PM
Loved watching the horse and Edward! Very cool. It has inspired me for my own riding.