PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Suppleness

Mollitor
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:08 AM
I was wondering what everyone is using on their saddles these days.haha
I have been using belvior conditioner,but it leaves a weird residue on my saddle.I am in need of some good light conditioner that will really soak in and not leave a residue.Any ideas?

tikihorse2
Jul. 31, 2009, 12:25 PM
I use the CWD leather balsam that came with my saddle. Before that, I used Passier Lederbalsam, which is also a very good product. Don't use too much, and use it on the UNDERSIDE of the leather more than the top.

Both of these smell great, too!

Kim

BAC
Jul. 31, 2009, 12:42 PM
I am in need of some good light conditioner that will really soak in and not leave a residue.Any ideas?

Effax Leder Combi is great for what you want. I use it for cleaning but its also considered to have conditioning properties too, sounds perfect for you. It doesn't leave a residue, one of the reasons I like it so much. If you already have residue buildup on your tack give it a cleaning with Kirk's Castile soap first to remove it, then clean regularly with Leder Combi. Some people prefer a mixture of ammonia and water to remove the residue but I prefer castile soap.

My favorite conditioner is Akene but don't condition too frequently.

Seven-up
Jul. 31, 2009, 03:54 PM
Hydrophane leather dressing would also be great. It's an oil, you just paint it on and it soaks in. Leaves absolutely no residue at all, softens leather to butter softness, and it waterproofs. I adore it.

I also use a product called Supple, after I clean and oil. It's some sort of cleaner/conditioner, but I use it to shine the leather. It puts a nice soft glow on leather, not a mirror shine. It's in a solid form, like saddle soap, and you just buff it on with a damp sponge. The best part is how wonderful it smells.

Pony Soprano
Aug. 1, 2009, 04:45 PM
I love the stubben saddle soap. I used Akene soap and conditioner before that, but now I find that I don't even really need a conditioner now.