PDA

View Full Version : Having tall boots taken in?

AliceG
Jul. 30, 2009, 11:40 PM
I'm sorry for yet another tall boot thread, and i apologize if all these questions have been answered before.

Here's my dilemma: VERY long skinny legs, can't afford tall boots that fit properly (sound familiar anyone? :))
Right now I have my eye on the new ariat challenge II's, they have the height I need, and the price is verrryyyy appealing compared to customs.
my question is would there be anyway for a cobbler to take them in the extra 3/4-1"? or would this interfere with the original shape of the boot?

*Liz*
Jul. 31, 2009, 07:00 AM
Yes! It can be done :)

I bought a pair of der-dau's off a friend of mine that almost fit, except they were a good bit too wide throughout; they were pull ons that I could just slip on and off with ease. I had about an inch taken out of them and zippers put in for a little over $100. They fit great after that, and I wore them for another year or so (I wear my tall boots daily and for showing) until I bought a prettier pair of much more comfortable Ariat's again. Luckily for me and Ariat slim (size 7 foot) fits me with just a touch of room to spare.

ADD526
Jul. 31, 2009, 08:50 AM
Yes it can be done! my cobbler did it for me and they looked fabulous. However, find a good cobbler. I would go to a local tack shop and see who they recommend

Tullia07
Jul. 31, 2009, 09:37 AM
I also had mine taken in and they look great. The cobbler in my area that I went to is the national rep for Sergio Grasso; does all of their repair work and is also the cobbler that the local tack shops send their stuff to. Too bad you are in Maine because he is fantastic.

showmom858
Jul. 31, 2009, 12:41 PM
I had a pair of Ariat Crowne Pro's taken in for my DD. These were a tall, slim that needed to be fitted to her long, slender leg. We decided against putting zippers in so that they could fit them closer and they look great.

Maya01
Jul. 31, 2009, 12:47 PM
O: This a great to know! Having freakishly wide calves and skinny ankles doesn't make for a great fitting in Ariats and customs, well those are out of the question unless one of the family members get lucky and win the lottery! Ah well, The Bank of Mother will be very pleased! :lol:

short strided
Jul. 31, 2009, 03:52 PM
I also had mine taken in and they look great. The cobbler in my area that I went to is the national rep for Sergio Grasso; does all of their repair work and is also the cobbler that the local tack shops send their stuff to. Too bad you are in Maine because he is fantastic.

Do you have his contact info? I want to have zippers put in my Ariats and have been looking for someone competent.

rwh
Jul. 31, 2009, 11:55 PM
I have the same problem and was wondering how to explain to the shoemaker that I want to keep the folds around the ankle just cut out the excess leather down the back of the leg (my boots are slightly too wide down the calf with a TON of extra room by the ankle). Any suggestions/photos of perfectly fitted boots? Thanks!

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:04 AM
Journeyman in Middleburg VA, for those in this area, can alter tall boots, but I would think that any very good cobbler could do it.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 1, 2009, 12:07 AM
I have the same problem and was wondering how to explain to the shoemaker that I want to keep the folds around the ankle just cut out the excess leather down the back of the leg (my boots are slightly too wide down the calf with a TON of extra room by the ankle). Any suggestions/photos of perfectly fitted boots? Thanks!

I think you should say exactly what you said here. For photos, maybe look at some issues of the Chronicle or Practical Horseman? Or maybe some of the custom boot websites have pics with riders?

luckeys71
Aug. 1, 2009, 07:03 AM
Just be sure you find someone who works on RIDING boots. When my Ariat zipper broke and I called the nice tack store, she told me NOT to go to just any shoe repair place, but make sure it was someone knowledgable in riding boots. She did recommend Journeyman. I didn't want to have to send them off and back, though. Fortunately, Ariat did it for FREE. I have a pair of Vogels and I lost a good bit of weight and had them take them in for me and they were perfect. If you've got no one around to do it, I am sure you can find someone good to send them to, if you can get good measurements for them.

lacy859
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know a contact in the Kentucky/Lexington area?