PDA

View Full Version : Faded hunt caps?

mg
Jul. 30, 2009, 10:41 PM
I feel like I belong in the HJ forum asking a "fashion" question, but alas I am still pretty new to dressage and am afraid of making a gross faux pas.

I recently got a hunt cap off ebay which I am IN LOVE with. However, it is the kind made from real velvet so it's faded brown from the sunlight. It's still pretty dark and you can barely see the brown in certain low-light situations, but the brown color is definitely there. I've always been under the impression that you match your hat and coat in dressage. I have a black jacket...would it be okay to wear my hunt cap with this? I'd very much like to wear a cap in shows and will buy an additional one that's not faded if I have to, but I won't if I don't!

Thanks in advance :)

merrygoround
Jul. 31, 2009, 03:48 PM
I don't know if it's still the "in" thing but at one time faded velvet hunt caps were worn by all the "not so rich but fairly famous riders". :) Sort of emblematic of time in the saddle. Now all that lot is wearing $500+ helmets of all sorts of expensive metals.

See what the "fashionistas" have to say. ;)

chancellor2
Jul. 31, 2009, 03:57 PM
I don't think anyone is going to look at what color your hunt cap is. Go for it.

caddym
Jul. 31, 2009, 04:09 PM
I think that would look great. My own personal fashion sense is to wear a traditional black hunt cap with a snaffle briddle and a top hat with a double.

whicker
Jul. 31, 2009, 11:31 PM
My concern would be that the safety date hasn't expired. Check inside for the manufacture date and then check their website to make sure that the helmet hasn't decomposed from age. As long as the helmet will actually save your head, you are good to go. The new air vented ones are much cooler, though.

Hampton Bay
Aug. 1, 2009, 03:42 PM
I have an old faded velvet helmet that I lent to a girl to use in showmanship. It had a weird reddish tint in certain lights, and the girl's coat was black. I just took a black sharpie to the helmet and it looked brand new. Just get the sharpie with the wide tip, or you will be coloring it forever.

Since this helmet was so old as to not be safe for head-protection purposes, using a sharpie was fine. If the helmet is still newer and could protect your head, I would not do this. The solvents in the sharpie can possibly degrade the plastic shell of the helmet. But if you are wearing it just for looks, then it's no big deal.

slight
Aug. 1, 2009, 11:39 PM
I bought a black velvet helmet cover to hide my faded cap - it doesn't look as "fitted" with it though, and I have a funny line on my forehead when I wear it!

It's an option for shows at least...

Caroline Weber
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:39 AM
My concern would be that the safety date hasn't expired. Check inside for the manufacture date and then check their website to make sure that the helmet hasn't decomposed from age. As long as the helmet will actually save your head, you are good to go. The new air vented ones are much cooler, though.

I think she's talking about an unapproved hunt cap ;). As in the "looks pretty but not more effective as a brain bucket than a top hat" kind of hunt cap. To each his own! Different people are willing to take different risks.

Hilary
Sep. 24, 2009, 08:05 PM
Not sure why I just found this thread, but you will find, if you search, threads asking how to get your helmet to fade so it looks like you've had it for 900 years......

That was more prevalent before the rule came for the hunters that approved helmets were required for more groups over fences (I don't want to quote the exact rule).

So yes, you can use your faded hunt cap!

Velvet
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:21 PM
I'm with the others who said it sounded like it was just a fashion helmet, and major protection. (Although, I had an old hunt cap that lasted 10 years and was before approvals, had only an elastic strap, and it saved my brain quite a few times :D ).

My advice? Don't worry. No one is looking at it, judging you by it, and the people that matter do NOT care. Wear it! Only jealous DQ-wannabes will be criticizing you for it--because they can't criticize your riding. ;)