PDA

View Full Version : Horse Critique Please

jrrider
Jul. 30, 2009, 07:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevJ9c91uuA
I was hoping to get a critique on this horse. I really like him and am considering importing him. He's only just 6 and the rider is not me so please no rider critiques
Thanks!

sp56
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:00 PM
What do you want him for? Jumpers? Eq? What level rider are you? What are they asking for him? Breed?...

From what I see, he looks pretty honest and cute with his knees. He did seem to look at a few of the jumps which would make me hesitate a little, but depends on your expecations/experience level. If you're a strong rider and don't mind having to push a horse around a course sometimes, then it might work. He might be a little spooky when you put him in an outdoor environment, but it's hard to tell. He looks a bit hard to put together and might be on the stronger side (not my favorite kind of horse to ride, but some people don't mind). He seemed pretty patient with his rider as well.

Cute, seems to have a nice presence. Good luck!

jetsmom
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:01 PM
He's cute, but not a hunter type. He jumps in decent form, but seems very heavy in the hands.

What are you planning on doing with him? And do you have the core strength to deal with a horse that is very heavy on the front end (needs leg/transitions).

neigh.neigh
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:26 PM
I think he is adorable! With more training to get him off his front end he could turn into a hunter. Looks like he is only in a loose ring in the video

jrrider
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:28 PM
I actually rode him while I was in Ireland. I really liked him and he actually was coming off his forehand really well for me, not really sure why the girl was having issues, but it was her first time on him... I was planning on using him for jumpers, he's doing 1.10 meter right now. He would also be a bit of a sales project after I get him going. They have him doing all his basic flat work, shoulder-in, haunches-in, turn on the forehand, counter canter, etc. I would imagine he could potentially double as an equitation horse in the future with some work.

Mayaty02
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:29 PM
agreed, he looks a little like a handful...definitely not a hunter mover, maybe a jumper but the jumps are relatively small so it's hard to get a sense of his scope etc. Cute but not sure I'd import...depends on what you want him for I suppose.

Serah
Jul. 30, 2009, 09:00 PM
Meh... he's cute here and there, but nothing about him to me screams OMG I MUST PUT HIM ON A PLANE.... I think you could find the same if not nicer quality without having to import... I don't hate him, he looks like he's kinda fun, but i don't love him enough to import him and buy him as a resale...

jrrider
Jul. 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
just curious what would you pay for a horse like him? Trying to get an idea if he's worth it
Is currently competing at 1.1 meter with a 15 year old boy. Always has double clear rounds and generally has placed first, 6 y/o and does all his basic flatwork

HJPony
Jul. 30, 2009, 09:31 PM
Well, he certainly seems bold enough for the jumpers. With time and training I am sure he will double as an equitation mount. His jumping style could use a bit of finessing, but totally typical of a young gelding. In no way do I see him as a outstanding hunter at this age, but you have other plans for him anyways.

I would agree with a few other posters that he is very much on the forehand throughout the video. Unfortunately, I feel the rider may be contributing to this way of going.

Would I go out of my way to import horse? No probably not. If he was priced right however.. Yes, as he seems to have enough scope and talent to be worth something in a couple of years.
Happy horse shopping!:)

LaurieB
Jul. 30, 2009, 09:49 PM
He looks like a cute horse but not one I'd pay money to import. He lacks the movement for the hunters, and if I wanted him as a jumper I'd want to see him jump courses higher than two and a half feet before making any decisions--especially ones that involved putting him on a plane. I can't imagine you couldn't find a horse in the U.S that could easily do everything he's shown doing. Overall, nothing I see on the video screams super-talented to me.

jrrider
Jul. 30, 2009, 10:19 PM
don't worry I'm not buying him off of this video alone. I actually was a working student on their farm in Ireland, saw him in action and rode him for 6 months. We both jumped our first bank together and i've witnessed their 15 year old son compete him in grass, sand, mud, etc. This was actually one of his first times indoors as he lived in a field for the first 5 years of his life. Was broken and started last year.
A lot of you are saying I could find the same kind of horse here, but how much are horses like him going for? Honestly the ones I've seen are in the mid/high five figures or am I wrong?

jetsmom
Jul. 30, 2009, 10:31 PM
I think you could find that in the low 5 figures here in the US.

rabicon
Jul. 31, 2009, 09:33 AM
He's cute but to import is going to be expensive, whats the price now. To get a resell project and import it with an expensive price already you could possibliy lose out pretty big. It'll take work getting him up and off the forehand and he seems like he can get a little lazy at times around so maybe not the best jumper prospect but if you rode him you know better than us ;)
I'm bored so I pulled up a few you might could ask for a video of and go try,
The video is just dressage but maybe you can ask for some jumping, I do like her though
http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1283920&share_this=Y

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?form_horse_id=1434602&share_this=Y
check out Kilkenney's Morning Star Pride at
http://www.wayfarereventing.net/horses.html

But these may be more than what this one is with importing.

jrrider
Aug. 1, 2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks everyone for all of your insight! I don't want to get in trouble for advertising so I would rather not say the price. I think even with the price of importing that I wouldn't be losing out at all if you're comparing him to 40k horses. The owner of the farm, who is an amazing rider, and has gone to the olympics, has agreed to work with him in getting off of his forehand and freeing his shoulder a bit before he comes. She also said she'll see if the neighbor will video him this weekend showjumping (she's rather hopeless with electronics) and then I can get a look out how he's now going over bigger jumps.