PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever altered a hunt coat?

ERollison
Jul. 30, 2009, 05:30 PM
I just purchased a pretty RJ Classics hunt coat for a good deal. I got it today and it is too big! All I have ever worn is Grand Prix so I took a gamble on the RJ Classics. Anyhow, It fits okay in some places and too big in others. Has anyone ever had good luck in having hunt coasts altered? Tips on what to tell the alterations people? I really like this coat and want to be able to show in it. TIA

spmoonie
Jul. 30, 2009, 05:45 PM
I had my mom alter a poor fitting coat once. But, as it turns out, no amount of altering could fix it. Maybe take the tailor a picture of how a good hunt coat should fit. That may help.

ryansgirl
Jul. 30, 2009, 05:59 PM
I've had a bunch altered over the years - never had a problem doing that and the coats all fit so much better after. As a kid, I always had mine custom made though don't remember really why as none of my sisters were custom and we were all basically the same size. Just make sure you can find a good tailor who knows what they are doing. If they aren't familiar w/ hunt coats I'd highly suggest bringing in a catalog like Smartpak or Dover or from some place that shows at least a few different ones so they can get an idea of how they are supposed to look. :)

ERollison
Jul. 30, 2009, 06:07 PM
Ugh, I have just moved to a new town, so I am unsure of tailors here. I guess if I can't find a good tailor then I will have to trade it or sell it so I can get one that fits. I would much rather it be altered though.

vbunny
Jul. 30, 2009, 06:15 PM
How much can they be altered? I have had the waist taken in and simple things like that but what about one that is just too big all over? I have one I love but it's huge ;).

showmom858
Jul. 30, 2009, 06:18 PM
I have had DD's taken in at the waist when it was too boxy and also have had sleeves on many hunt coats lengthened as she has long arms. We have a dry cleaner that has a very good seamstress working for them and she has always done a great job.

If you are in a new town I would check with a local dry cleaners that is more upscale and may have a tailor that works for them.

DallasES
Jul. 30, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hey Emily!

I have had a Grand Prix altered that was too big in the waist. I just wore it into the tailor and had then pin it to fit while it was on me. I them was able to move like I was riding (which I am sure was entertaining) and make sure it would work. No problems with it as of yet! Let me know if you want to drive up to Dallas and I can give you the name of a great alterations place. :)

FAW
Jul. 30, 2009, 06:57 PM
I've changed the inside liner of a coat by the cleaners because of holes where the armpits go. Guess I just have too powerful of sweat.

ERollison
Jul. 30, 2009, 07:09 PM
Hey Emily!

I have had a Grand Prix altered that was too big in the waist. I just wore it into the tailor and had then pin it to fit while it was on me. I them was able to move like I was riding (which I am sure was entertaining) and make sure it would work. No problems with it as of yet! Let me know if you want to drive up to Dallas and I can give you the name of a great alterations place. :)

Hey Elizabeth!

Would love to make the drive to Dallas if I wasn't all the way in BFE, Kingsville. Im thinking that I could drive back home to SC and go to the Tack Room before I could make it to Dallas ;). I MISS the Tack Room!

I am so used to my Grand Prix coats that I was not sure what to expect with the RJ's. I just got a new GP yesterday too. Its really pretty. It will look good with my black/brown gelding.

BTW my mom is making the trip out here in Aug to see me. :D

ERollison
Jul. 30, 2009, 07:10 PM
I've changed the inside liner of a coat by the cleaners because of holes where the armpits go. Guess I just have too powerful of sweat.

Haha that's funny. Maybe its not the sweat, its just a lot of cantering and jumping arm movements.

kdow
Jul. 30, 2009, 07:17 PM
How much can they be altered? I have had the waist taken in and simple things like that but what about one that is just too big all over? I have one I love but it's huge ;).

It depends a bit on how MUCH too big it is, but in general, that should be possible. However, it might not be cost effective as what you're asking them to do in that case is basically sew you a coat from scratch, since they'll have to take it entirely apart, re-cut, and then re-sew. You'd have to ask for quotes.

Also, anyone getting it tailored by someone who isn't familiar with the fit - if you have an old coat that fits you the way you like (even if it's worn in places or stained or whatever) take that also, and let them see how it looks on you. Heck, even leave it if they want to be able to compare measurements from old to new. :) But sometimes the visual of how it should look on you is very helpful.

Across Sicily
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have had a number of coats altered. For the simpler alterations (taking in an inch or two) I'll use the drycleaner, who's done a fantastic job in the past. For the trickier ones I'll use the lady who makes my (and the rest of my barn's) custom coats. Works out pretty well!

GGsuperpony
Jul. 31, 2009, 12:31 AM
Is it way too big? I ask because GP does riding sizes (0-2 = 8) and RJ does street sizes (8 = 8). So if you wear a 10 in GP, you wear a 4 in RJ. BIG difference!

Things can be altered that much, but almost no one does it because it gets terribly expensive. Around here? Waist, sleeves, shoulders, hem, maybe buttons moved and collar cut down? $150 - 300, depending on the place.

You might be better off selling and looking for a different coat. It will be either very expensive to fix or end up looking "off" or worse, both.

theroanypony
Jul. 31, 2009, 12:40 AM
I've had both of my coats tailored, one of which was a RJ Classic. The lady that I had do mine specializes in riding apparel, but she said any good tailor should know how a coat should fit. Make sure you wear a show shirt under the jacket when you go to have it altered. If you have a well fitting coat, bring it with you so you can show the tailor how you want it to fit. They'll have you try it on and basically pin up all the areas you want to have altered. It's a really simple thing that shouldn't be a big deal for a good tailor, if they do make it out to be a big deal, RUN.

Across Sicily
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:00 AM
Things can be altered that much, but almost no one does it because it gets terribly expensive. Around here? Waist, sleeves, shoulders, hem, maybe buttons moved and collar cut down? $150 - 300, depending on the place.

REALLY?? WOW! Around here it's more like $30-50...

kdow
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:37 AM
REALLY?? WOW! Around here it's more like $30-50...

I think the $150+ was for many alterations (waist, sleeves, hem, etc.) in which case $150+ wouldn't be at all unreasonable for a quality job, as it simply takes time to do things properly, even if you're good at it. I mean, if you're taking in something that's *much* too big, you're basically asking them to just sew you a custom coat using the fabric in the one you've brought - how much would you expect to pay for a custom coat?

$30-50 sounds more reasonable for something like just altering the hem or moving the buttons a bit, though.

theroanypony
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:43 AM
Im thinking that I could drive back home to SC and go to the Tack Room before I could make it to Dallas ;). I MISS the Tack Room!

If you're going to be in Camden, you should check out the alteration place directly in front of The Tack Room. I believe the name is Wanda's, or something along those lines. Judy, from TTR, told me that they do most of the horse apparel in our area. She did a fantastic job with my RJ Classic, I definitely recommend her. Good luck :)

Across Sicily
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:40 AM
I think the $150+ was for many alterations (waist, sleeves, hem, etc.) in which case $150+ wouldn't be at all unreasonable for a quality job, as it simply takes time to do things properly, even if you're good at it. I mean, if you're taking in something that's *much* too big, you're basically asking them to just sew you a custom coat using the fabric in the one you've brought - how much would you expect to pay for a custom coat?

$30-50 sounds more reasonable for something like just altering the hem or moving the buttons a bit, though.

That makes sense when you put it that way.

For what it's worth, I paid $20 to have a jacket taken in about an inch on each side all the way up and down the jacket. I can't say I've ever had the ENTIRE thing altered... most it was was taking in in a couple places, putting sleeves up a bit and making them smaller, and letting out the bust slightly.

JenEM
Jul. 31, 2009, 05:55 AM
To completely resize a coat, from say a RJ 8 to a GP8, it's probably more cost and trouble than it's worth, because the entire coat would have to be taken apart and resized.

I've adjusted sleeves myself with very little effort, and had a waist taken in by a good local tailor with no problem at all.

JumpWithPanache
Jul. 31, 2009, 07:55 AM
If you are anywhere near a military base find out where they take uniforms for alterations. I personally like finding the Korean tailors... they do a phenomenal job and I have always had good prices. The lady who altered my last GP coat for me pinned it, had me move around, readjusted some pins and told me to come back in two days. You would never know that any alteration had been done... it was perfect!

myvanya
Jul. 31, 2009, 09:34 AM
My Mom just took in my coat as she got it for me at Christmas and then I promptly lost the 45 pounds I had thought I couldn't lose :eek:. It still fit great in the shoulders and if anything I will have her lengthen the sleeves a little, but it looks fantastic now! And I am about 3 street sizes smaller than I was when she bought it. It can be quite the project though as in most coats, you have to take apart the lining to some extent, then make the adjustments you want to make, then put the lining back. So, that being said, I would avoid putting it off until the day before a show like I did :winkgrin:

ERollison
Jul. 31, 2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all of the help! After a little research I realized that I needed a 10R or 12R for the RJ's. Ugh, that is too much to alter. I think I am just going to sell it or trade it and get another coat.

Oh btw, how to the TS coats run? Similar to RJ or GP? TIA

ERollison
Jul. 31, 2009, 11:20 AM
If you're going to be in Camden, you should check out the alteration place directly in front of The Tack Room. I believe the name is Wanda's, or something along those lines. Judy, from TTR, told me that they do most of the horse apparel in our area. She did a fantastic job with my RJ Classic, I definitely recommend her. Good luck :)

Oh how I wish I was going to Camden. I miss being able to run to The Tack Room real quick to get the things I need. They are the best!

veebug22
Jul. 31, 2009, 11:27 AM
I've had a hunt coat entirely altered. It was a gorgeous, very expensive coat that I got for a reasonable price on eBay. Even with the tailoring (don't remember how much it was, maybe about $120 about 5 years ago?) it was cheaper than buying one new, and it fit me perfectly! They had to take it apart, make the shoulders more narrow, the waist and bust more fitted, bring in the sleeves, etc. I had to explain to them how a hunt coat should fit, and this is IMPORTANT (otherwise you'll likely end up with too short sleeves when you release, etc.), but they were a wonderful tailor shop, so it turned out great. My dad had them work on his suits before, so we knew they did quality jobs.

TSWJB
Jul. 31, 2009, 11:35 AM
i have 2 jackets that are really gorgeous that i stopped wearing because i decided they are too big. i keep going back to my old beval jacket that was a $500 that fits perfect. but it has a few little holes in it caused by moths. grrrrrrr! moths like the expensive material and not the cheap material. i had a cheaper coat in same bag that was untouched! anyway its a pain only having one coat. and these coats are really nice but i decided they are too big. i would only need the waist and the sleeves taken in. would that be a big repair.
i would have taken the coats to bevals. they take them in for $25 but they do not take in the sleeves. and i really would like the sleeves taken in too!
i dont know what i was thinking when i bought those coats!

chawley
Jul. 31, 2009, 12:17 PM
Just like a nice suit jacket, riding coats can be altered too. I would take it to a reputable place that does high end suits, along w/ a picture of how you'd like to to fit. I had an RJ altered a few years ago and it turned out just fine. I think it only cost me $20-30 too.

Ready2Ride
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:39 PM
all of my coats are too baggy in the arms. Has anyone had the sleeves made tighter? is this difficult? thanks

vbunny
Jul. 31, 2009, 05:36 PM
What I'd need is the whole thing made more narrow, top to bottom, but then the sleeves near the arm pits would still be huge. Can they do that?

TIA, this is a good thread.