PDA

View Full Version : D. G. Stackhouse Saddle, questions on knee rolls

GallopingGrape
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:14 PM
I'm much more familiar with Western saddles, and recently learned that there is a waiting list for Stackhouse saddles. This saddle has no knee rolls, and I understand knee rolls are 'the in' thing right now. What types of riders prefer to ride in saddles without knee rolls and why? And now that I edited this to remove the sales link... do "no knee rolls" truly reduce a saddles price by half!? That seems extreme...

GallopingGrape
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:18 PM
Moderator, before I get in trouble, that wasn't intended as advertising. Please remove the link.... I simply wanted to know about knee rolls.

vxf111
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:21 PM
Plain flap saddles are pretty "out" these days and as a result have a low value. There are people out there who love them, but they are few and far between.

Mostly people who would buy a used, plain flap saddle are doing so because they can't afford an equivalent saddle with the padded flap, because the padded model will be priced higher due to higher demand.

Not knocking them, I love a pancake saddle myself-- but they can be hard to sell and don't go for anywhere near the price of even a lower end padded flap saddle. Unless you find that one in a million person who is old fashioned and wants one. Then you're golden... but otherwise...

vxf111
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:22 PM
P.S.- You can edit your post to remove the link?!

GallopingGrape
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:26 PM
What makes the padded "in"? Reasons?

vxf111
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:29 PM
Style/comfort/security.

All you have to do to edit your OP and remove the advertising link is click the "Edit" button in the lower right hand corner of the post, then go in and delete the link.

vxf111
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:32 PM
I just looked at the price. I don't think you're going to get $1,950.00 for a used, plain flap saddle with a narrow/medium tree. Even if it is a Stackhouse. I think you're way off on the price!

fourmares
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:41 AM
I wish I'd gotten my Stackhouse without knee rolls...

GallopingGrape
Jul. 31, 2009, 03:18 PM
Ha!! I know where you can get one! :winkgrin: Well, I'm still not clear on the exact preference for knee rolls vs no knee rolls, or why historically they go in and out of style....

Equibrit
Jul. 31, 2009, 03:21 PM
I own 3 Stackhouse saddles without knee rolls and prefer it that way. It's just a personal preference. (current retail for DGS is $4000-$5000) - so price doesn't really enter into it.

SprinklerBandit
Jul. 31, 2009, 03:33 PM
I don't own a stackhouse saddle, but my lovely older close contact saddle has no knee rolls, and I like it that way. I'm right down on the horse with almost nothing artificial in between.

When they find a way to make bareback pads with stirrups that don't create huge pressure points on a horse, I will buy that.

HenryisBlaisin'
Jul. 31, 2009, 03:40 PM
I don't like knee rolls! My cc has a padded flap, no roll underneath, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I don't feel like knee rolls improve my leg in any way.

My dressage saddle has HUGE knee rolls, though, and they do help my leg...go figure

GallopingGrape
Jul. 31, 2009, 03:55 PM
The Cashel Soft Saddle doesn't make pressure points on the horse and is soooo comfy!!

SprinklerBandit
Jul. 31, 2009, 04:22 PM
Oooooh. I'm so tempted. Off to scour ebay.