PDA

View Full Version : trotting into the line-up

hj0519
Jul. 30, 2009, 11:58 AM
So, I have a random question just from something I observed at a show I was at a few weeks ago. I was in a hunter under saddle class and at the end of the class, when they told us to walk and line up in the center of the ring, I heard a trainer on the rail tell her rider to trot right into the center of the ring (and the rider did). I always assumed that since they say "walk and line up", that means that they want you to go into the center of the ring and line up at the walk, right?

Is it okay to trot into the center of the ring to line up/why would someone even want to trot into the line up?

RugBug
Jul. 30, 2009, 12:02 PM
Is it okay to trot into the center of the ring to line up/why would someone even want to trot into the line up?

I'll trot to the line up if I'm on the other end of the ring and it would take forever to walk there. I walk a bit (to show that I'm in the walk and the horse is calm about it) and then will pick up a trot. I figure the judge would rather have everyone in line quicker rather than waiting for every horse to walk in.

SkipChange
Jul. 30, 2009, 12:04 PM
I've had several trainers tell me to do a sitting trot to the line up, but I was never really sure if this was right either. One particular trainer said you should do this if you are far away from the line up area as the judge appreciates having things sped up--but I don't know if this is true...I do jumpers only these days. I would love to hear a judges opinion

MHM
Jul. 30, 2009, 12:14 PM
Please DO NOT trot into the line up. It is unsafe to have a mad scramble of people trying to get to the center.

The only time it would be appropriate is when there are only 2-3 horses in the ring with no risk of a traffic jam, and even then, it's better to just walk. The extra 10 seconds won't make or break the show day.

Tex Mex
Jul. 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
I will do this if I am far from the line and if I think I can get one last pass before the judge to show off a beautiful mover or, in an eq class, a great sitting trot. I would ONLY do this if I felt I could pull if off perfectly and that I might get the judges attention one last time. If you are just trying to hurry to the middle then that seems kind of unsafe.

RugBug
Jul. 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
Please DO NOT trot into the line up. It is unsafe to have a mad scramble of people trying to get to the center.

I NEVER participate in a "mad scramble." EVER. :winkgrin:

If I'm far from the line up, I'll trot to where 'traffic' begins and then walk. I've never trotted INTO the line up. (and with a few horses that I've ridden, the minute, not seconds, it saves is appreciated...stupid slow walkers). A number of times, when I've chosen to walk in, the class is being place before I'm (or other riders) fully in line.

Sebastian
Jul. 30, 2009, 01:04 PM
We did it all the time when I was doing Hunters. It was a courtesy to the Judge and everyone else at the show to move things a long.

There were never any "mad scrambles."
Seb :)

Jaegermonster
Jul. 30, 2009, 01:40 PM
I usually will trot in if I'm more than a short way from the line up area. I figure there's no use in dawdling.
Never been in a "mad scramble" for it either, but then whether it becomes a scramble or not I would imagine depends on the level at which you are showing and the abilities of the riders in the class.

BearWithMe
Jul. 30, 2009, 01:49 PM
you walk into line up. if the announcer says "walk and line up" why would you trot??
if the judge wanted the show sped up and people to trot he/she would have the announcer say. "trot into lineup"

Melzy
Jul. 30, 2009, 01:57 PM
Obey the Judge's commands only. Do not make up your own while in the ring. It's a pet peeve of mine.

On another note, when I ask for a reverse and walk, I don't want to see you halt and then turn around. You would be surprised at how many people do this! Simply change direction at a walk. Another pet peeve of mine.

Go Fish
Jul. 30, 2009, 02:58 PM
Ya know, the line up is exactly where my horse wants to be (yay! class/work over!). So I'm certainly not going to hurry him into the line up and give him what he wants. Before you know it, the line up is all he'll be thinking about.

I never instantly pick up a gait that's announced either. I've had horses pick up listening to the announcer. Problem with that is what if the announcer is asking for the trot and your horse thinks it's time to canter? I make the horse wait until I ask.

Chef Jade
Jul. 31, 2009, 12:24 AM
"Back in the Day" we always would trot into the line up, as a courtesy to the judge, and an act of showmanship. These days, it seems like everyone is "too cool" and saunters in at their leisure.

fourmares
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:30 AM
We've always trotted in unless we were already there, so to speak. I've never seen it turn into a mad rush, or had a traffic jam.

chunky munky
Jul. 31, 2009, 07:11 AM
Certainly a group of beginer riders should learn to be safe and get to the line up. I have found that it is rarely the winner that saunters into the line in a big class and ends up out of the convenient line of vision of the judge. As I have mentioned before on this board, it is your job to show you/your horse off to the judge. Don't expect them to search too hard for you. The people with showmanship skills will gladly help to be sure you go unnoticed.:lol:
Getting into the line up quickly ( yes that may include a trot) is not just good showmanship, it is courtesy to the judge, management and your fellow exhibitors.

Tif_Ann
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:02 PM
I never instantly pick up a gait that's announced either. I've had horses pick up listening to the announcer. Problem with that is what if the announcer is asking for the trot and your horse thinks it's time to canter? I make the horse wait until I ask.

LOL I know what you mean by that! Too many horses learn the words so I don't ever teach mine the words "trot" or "canter", I use sounds instead. I was lucky to have a trainer who was aware of this propensity and she only spells out instructions to her riders, like "Pick up the t-r-o-t at A" just in case the horse knows the word and responds to her rather than the cue.

As for the question at hand - seems like around here we always end the class on the trot and the announcer has us just "come into the middle." I'll have to check at our next show, but usually everyone trots around the outside and then slows to a walk when you get to the center.