PDA

View Full Version : Horse Buying Scam

buggs95
Jul. 30, 2009, 09:15 AM
So....I had this e-mail in my box this morning in response to my horse that is for sale. I've heard of scams where they send you a check for 20K over the purchase price and want you to deposit the extra in their account. Has anyone else had this person e-mail them? I am 100% certain this is some sort of scam :eek: I am not going to respond.

Hello,

Am keen on the purchase of your ( Horse ) which you placed on web for sale. I want to know the last price it is going for?, Do respond to my offer with required details and other important details on this ( Horse )..I expect to hear from you in good time a pics of the item will be appreciated..

Regards,
John Mionskowski.

Fuller Inc
15 Lady Brae,
Gorebridge, Midlothian,
E23 4HT, Scotland
Phone: +44 (0) 70359 7585
Mobile: +44 (0) 7035973961
Fax: +44 (0) 7035967450

Valentina_32926
Jul. 30, 2009, 09:20 AM
When an ad responder only asks about the price not the horse (add'l pictures, video, etc.) then you can be 99% sure it's a scam, and it appears so by the response you've received.

SillyHorse
Jul. 30, 2009, 09:39 AM
When an ad responder only asks about the price not the horse (add'l pictures, video, etc.) then you can be 99% sure it's a scam, and it appears so by the response you've received.
Not to mention the scammer refers to the "( Horse )", and later to the "item." Classic. :yes:

RxCate
Jul. 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
And I'm sorry, but anytime the wordage is wonky like that, I don't even take the time to reply - that gets automatically deleted.

Or, like a lot of people have done on here, reply with the contact info to the Fraud Dept.

furlong47
Jul. 30, 2009, 09:45 AM
This is the exact scam you mentioned. After you reply to them, they will eventually get to the point of mailing you the check for the horse, plus extra money for you to wire to their 'shipper'. The check eventually is proven fake, and you are out the money that you wired.

buggs95
Jul. 30, 2009, 11:07 AM
Does it do any good to report them?

SillyHorse
Jul. 30, 2009, 02:21 PM
Who knows? But it couldn't hurt.

BTW, my sympathies. I know the feeling of deflation when you think you've gotten a response to you ad, only to have it turn out to be a stupid scammer. :mad:

vxf111
Jul. 30, 2009, 03:30 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that there are still people out there who get these things and are like ZMG, is this a SCAM?! Zoinks!

This scam and every permutation thereof has been around pretty much as long as the internet. Yet people must fall for it or else the scammers wouldn't keep trying.

gottagrey
Jul. 30, 2009, 03:42 PM
I've gotten several similar type scams for booking riding holidays. The emails start of looking fairly legit. Then when I respond -to confirm availability or whatever. That's when the emails start to get wacky. The last one was like I had to accept deposit + $10,000 in cash to pay for an interpreter who doesn't have a bank account... It was wild. You can generally tell its a scam when you ask something like - WHAT IS THEIR RIDING LEVEL and the reply is please kindly deposit X amount etc etc. :lol:

caffeinated
Jul. 30, 2009, 05:02 PM
This scam and every permutation thereof has been around pretty much as long as the internet. Yet people must fall for it or else the scammers wouldn't keep trying.

perfect example- see similar thread in off course. *sigh*

jmkeen
Jul. 30, 2009, 05:05 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that there are still people out there who get these things and are like ZMG, is this a SCAM?! Zoinks!

Boy those Professional Auction and Equestrian Collection emails sure seem to have you in a bad mood today :(

Call me stupid, and you will, but I almost fell for the Webtack Store website scam but thank god I checked on COTH first.

vxf111
Jul. 30, 2009, 05:09 PM
I'm not in a bad mood and I didn't call you stupid, jmkeen.

In fact, I didn't call ANYBODY stupid. Not even people who fall for scams.

All I said was that this scam is really old and yet people must fall for it or else why would scammers keep trying it?! Clearly, there are people out there who somehow manage not to hear about it. OP got the email and knew it was a scam. Why in the world would you think my comment was directed specifically at you? You're not even the OP!?

MyAlter0709
Jul. 30, 2009, 05:10 PM
Why is it also that they never can form good sentences. The flow of the email just sounds off.

BAC
Jul. 30, 2009, 06:14 PM
Or, like a lot of people have done on here, reply with the contact info to the Fraud Dept.

That's a good idea.

meupatdoes
Jul. 30, 2009, 06:20 PM
Have some fun. (http://www.419hell.com/)

:cool:

hype
Jul. 30, 2009, 07:30 PM
This type of scam does work sometimes. One of my good friends sold his house and didn't know until they closed that between the time of the title report to closing (about 15 days) that a false check had been written on his home equity account for 50,000.

This check was sent to some unsuspecting lady in the DC area who cashed it, kept 10,000 and then wired the 40,000 out of the country.

It was a huge mess for my friend obviously and thank goodness he didn't need the 50,000 to close on the house he was buying with the receipt of the proceeds of the one he sold. This could have made two real estate deals blow up.

So, it isn't always a foreign person with weird English who does this scam. In this instance it was found to be a person in the Wells Fargo home equity department.

Cindyg
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:31 PM

Report them to whom? They're in Nigeria. Your local police can't exactly issue them a citation.

Ambrey
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:41 PM
Why is it also that they never can form good sentences. The flow of the email just sounds off.

Because they are all sending the e-mails from internet cafes in Nigeria.

chukkerchild
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:57 PM
That 419hell site makes me sad. Did you read the one that actually filled out the survey?

MintHillFarm
Jul. 30, 2009, 10:58 PM
Don't even reply...
I have had similar emails for large ticket items I had on ebay; saddle / truck etc...

It is bad enough that there are criminal types trying to scam us, but their English is a crime too.

MintHillFarm
Jul. 30, 2009, 11:03 PM
That's a good idea.

but they are so swamped at the fraud department that it gets lost or filed in a mountain of paperwork.

I had an issue with a credit card theft and no one really gave a crap. The police said they were too busy with real crimes, the FBI had no time, the FTC said they would look into it; the BBB is a joke and the CN authorities were an even bigger joke so I had Zero luck with anyone that would help.

gottagrey
Jul. 31, 2009, 12:50 AM
I mentioned I get these often for booking riding holidays. So today I get one, I swear it was the same guy (or name) from the last round I had... thanking me for all my hard work (huh?) and that I have been a very good friend (huh?) and to thank me there is $750,000 just waiting for me... I just need to provide information. My reply - please mail me a cashier's check... I will let you know if I receive:lol:

YankeeLawyer
Jul. 31, 2009, 01:36 AM
This type of scam does work sometimes. One of my good friends sold his house and didn't know until they closed that between the time of the title report to closing (about 15 days) that a false check had been written on his home equity account for 50,000.

This check was sent to some unsuspecting lady in the DC area who cashed it, kept 10,000 and then wired the 40,000 out of the country.

It was a huge mess for my friend obviously and thank goodness he didn't need the 50,000 to close on the house he was buying with the receipt of the proceeds of the one he sold. This could have made two real estate deals blow up.

So, it isn't always a foreign person with weird English who does this scam. In this instance it was found to be a person in the Wells Fargo home equity department.

I think you are being very generous to describe the woman in DC who cashed the check as "unsuspecting." If someone offers you 10k to cash a check and wire money out of the country, you are an idiot if you think that is somehow legit. People just don't *want* to know.

marcusbaur
Aug. 5, 2009, 05:06 PM
He seems to be doing chain mails. He wrote to me using the exact same words, except that he replaced (horse) with (boat).:

Hello,

Am keen on the purchase of your used ( Boat ) which you placed on web for sale. I want to know the last price it is going for?,and its present working condition. Do respond to my offer with required details and other important details on this( Boat ).I expect to hear from you in good time a pics of the item will be appreciated.

Regards,
John Mionsköwski.

Fuller Inc
15 Lady Brae,
Gorebridge, Midlothian,
E23 4HT, Scotland

I called him up for fun. The phoneconnection seemed to rout to some sort of VOIP (like skype) service. He sounded a bit french african, a bit indian - definitely not Scottish. I pressed him for his name, before I said mine. He then actually called himself John, so I guess he used that name always with different second names.

I asked him if he has ever sailed before. Hey, he was honest... He aid he had not. Thats funny because even most people who have sailed for many years could not sail a 49er (the boat on sale).

So here is my reply to his email I send after listening to his mumble jumble about how his driver would pick up the boat:

Look - I thought this was a bit doggy, but no that I talked to the fake John, I am sure I wasted my time.

You are after other peoples money, playing stupid little games. Worst of all, you are wasting their time.

I am sure there is something better in you. Be really smart and try something honest.

Get a life!

DancingQueen
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:18 AM
Ignoring it completely seems like a good plan.

If you feel vindicitve enough you can always string them along for a good laugh. I believe there was a tread a while ago with a link (?) to a person who pretty much blogged her interactions and e-mails back and forth with a scammer who wanted to buy one of her donkeys in a classic nigeria scam. Was pretty funny.

I guess if you wanted to be agressive about it you could call it in and possibly be part of some kind of set up and get them nailed.

I know it's easier to just ignore them but if you have the time and energy. Pls try to bust these guys. If we all either report them or make them bust their balls for nothing they might eventually get bored and find a real job!

JWB
Aug. 6, 2009, 11:43 AM
Trailer scams are a big one too.... I know a lady thought she'd found a GREAT deal on a 2 year old Featherlight 2-horses witha tack room, WB size. It was only $4900 and although it was several states away they offered free shipping....

They sent her pictures, she asked if she should come see it (cheap flight), they said they had another buyer coming with a check that afternoon.... She wired them $4900 and never saw her money or a trailer again.

goeslikestink
Aug. 6, 2009, 09:24 PM
So....I had this e-mail in my box this morning in response to my horse that is for sale. I've heard of scams where they send you a check for 20K over the purchase price and want you to deposit the extra in their account. Has anyone else had this person e-mail them? I am 100% certain this is some sort of scam :eek: I am not going to respond.

Hello,

Am keen on the purchase of your ( Horse ) which you placed on web for sale. I want to know the last price it is going for?, Do respond to my offer with required details and other important details on this ( Horse )..I expect to hear from you in good time a pics of the item will be appreciated..

Regards,
John Mionskowski.

Fuller Inc
15 Lady Brae,
Gorebridge, Midlothian,
E23 4HT, Scotland

its a scam so report the email to the police as all policing station have internet crime squads
as its obtaining money by deception ie fraud

MILOUTE55
Aug. 6, 2009, 09:33 PM
well, I have one that I got last week, regarding a saddle on our website... this one is so bad I spotted it immediately. I suppose the abusive use of "items" is always a sign... they didn't even bother to change it for "saddle" to make it sound a little more real...

"Hello, am highly interesting in buying your item ..am in need of your item posted on this site.i will like to ask you some question 1.what is the condition of the item 2,the final price 3,why are you selling it 4,are you the real owner 5,for how long have you owned the item 6,do you accept a check as a mode of payment you will not have to bother yourself about the shipment because i will arrange for the shipment by myself.i have a private shipper who will come to your house for the pick up.get back to me as soon as possible thanks"

:D

Prenston
Oct. 25, 2009, 12:02 AM
This guy also sent me an email regarding a car that I'm selling. I just googled his phone number and came to this site. Below is the excerpt from his email:
Hello,

Am keen on the purchase of your used ( 1931 Chevrolet Phaeton Independance AE ) which you placed on web for sale. I want to know the last price it is going for?,and its present working condition. Do respond to my offer with required details and other important details on this( 1931 Chevrolet Phaeton Independance AE ).I expect to hear from you in good time a pics of the item will be appreciated.

Regards,
John Mionsköwski.

Fuller Inc
15 Lady Brae,
Gorebridge, Midlothian,
E23 4HT, Scotland
Office Phone: +44 (0) 70359 7585 +44 (0) 70359 7585
Mobile Phone: +44 (0) 7035973961 +44 (0) 7035973961
Office Fax: +44 (0) 7035967450
Email: johnmionskowski.1966@yahoo.de

Thank you all for your posts.

Warm regards,

Prenston

Saddith
Oct. 26, 2009, 01:17 AM
Your best bet is too just delete it. I can tell you that your local PD can't do anything about it. The FBI won't do anything about it. And if you happen to fall for the scam and actually do send them your money, the most the local police would do is take a theft or fraud report. But it won't get investigated because the crooks are out of the country. Nobody will go to jail. These scammers are in Nigeria and I am pretty sure not one PD has the money or resources to send police officers to Nigeria to try and find and arrest these scammers.

You can file a report online with the Internet crime complaint center at: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx but it still isn't going to get your money back or crooks in jail. Just the way it is.

Usually if it sounds too good to be true, then it is. Greed will usually get you a big goose egg. I wish we could somehow stop these things, but yes they still get people who fall for it and send them money - so as long as it keeps being lucrative for them, you will continue to see these types of scams.

sansibar
Oct. 27, 2009, 03:03 PM
after reading this thread the other day i got this e-mail lol I also got an e-mail about part boarding a pony that is written along the same way lol. Two in one day thats definately a record!

I am a widow and a mother with a son. I know you will see my letter to you as anembarrassment considering the fact that we do not know ourselves. I plead with you to be patient with me and give me audience because I found myself in a situation that I dont have any option than to contact you,so that you can help me in this problem I found myself into, so I feel very pleased to contact you for your assistance and business relationship.
We from sierria Leone My Dear husband was killed by the gunmen due to his political ambitions and his total fight on the crimes on Humanity the have also order for the confiscation all his public assets including his bank accounts which he has in our country , since his death life has become miserable to my farmily, but we are lucky to have an information痴 of his company fixed deposite account of $18.3 million united states dollars outside our country which i and my son jacob has the all the informations covering the deposit . i am now soliciting for your help to provide a bank account where this fund can be transfer to and invested into a profited venture ,such as
1 Real-Estate
2 Hotel business
3 Gas station
over there in your country since we have decided to go back to our country for any Reason again . you will also help us to have resident permitte to be in your country for our operation with you without any problem. we have decided to compensate you with part of this fund for any of your effort in getting things done for us, which will be discuses after you declare your interest in helping us . you will also save as the director of our establishment which will be done with part of this fund in your country. we are now staying as a refuge in a local hotel here in abidjan ivory coast i will like you to get back to us urgently so that we will give you more details about this transaction if you are honest and carpable in handling the transfer.
we are hoping to hear from your urgently
thanks and god bless.

clearly they did not do their research... I don't even live in the USA. lol

grandprixjump
Oct. 27, 2009, 04:13 PM
I had an ad on CL that I got a reply for, they wanted to buy my "St Jude Benefit Horse Show Oct 31st"

SweetTalk
Oct. 27, 2009, 04:16 PM
I had an ad on CL that I got a reply for, they wanted to buy my "St Jude Benefit Horse Show Oct 31st"

Amazing. Wonder how they intend to do that? Hahaha!!! :D

moonriverfarm
Oct. 29, 2009, 11:59 AM
It can be reeeeeeallly fun to play along til you can out them big time. Cause you cannot stop these freaks. I'd start with asking if they would like the horse in its box.