PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Helmets

hellerkm
Jul. 30, 2009, 09:00 AM
Looks and Fit aside are all helmets created equal? DD needs a new one and I just cannot afford to pay almost $400 for a GPA, both of my nieces have them and love them but with 2 kids riding they are out of my price range right now.
We tried on several at the tack shop the other day and are heading back for the 20% off sale today to buy one, She hated the JR8 and loved the IRH ATH.
It looked nice, fit well and is a pretty neat looking helmet.
But while I realize it is not "as safe" as the titanium helmet it meets the specs so should do the job, correct?
This question comes from someone who stills owns and loves her very first "harness helmet" you know the one with the snap out clear plastic harness! And yes I was a JR when the helmet rule went into effect! scary thought! but glad the kids today have no idea how hard it was to make the change!
Please no flames because I will not spring for the GPA, I love them and would buy each of my girls one if I thought they were the only option for saving their heads, but I would like to think that the other helmets on the market can do the job without costing me a FORTUNE!

Mayaty02
Jul. 30, 2009, 10:49 AM
A GPA is certainly not "required" so don't feel you have to do it. My daughter has a Charles Owen Hampton and we love it. It looks great, very classic if you're from the velvet hunt cap days (which i am) and I've seen them on lots of pony kids. I got mine online for about $120. Just fit it in the store, then comparison shop online and you should be able to find one inexpensively at an online store. They retail for about $200.

Lucassb
Jul. 30, 2009, 10:54 AM
As long as you get a helmet meeting the ASTM/SEI specs (ie, an "approved" helmet) you can be assured that it meets the guidelines for the recommended safety standards.

The best (approved) helmet is one that fits correctly.

Fashion Police
Jul. 30, 2009, 11:03 AM
she loved the ATH? this kid is making it easy for you! nothing wrong with these helmets at all.

joiedevie99
Jul. 30, 2009, 11:04 AM
There is absolutely no proof that anything 'titanium' is any safer. The only reported statistics are pass/fail. Any other claims made by the companies are purely marketing. If it is ASTM/SEI approved, it is safe (though I imagine your clear harness helmet is not and could use being replaced). Pick anything that is traditional style velvet, or anything that is a knock-off of a GPA or Charles Owen style (IRH makes a bunch) and the kid will fit in fine.

wildlifer
Jul. 30, 2009, 11:17 AM
There is no evidence what so ever that any "titanium" or carbon fiber is safer than you plastic Troxel. All passed the same tests, so any approved helmet offers the same basic safety level. Helmet manufacturers have figured out that silly horse people will fork out unreasonable sums of money if they give a helmet a fancier name or use something that sounds cool, like carbon fiber, or they can get a pro to wear it around. It's, IMO, like paying $600 for a purse -- it's still just a bag to hold your crap and my $7 department store jobbie does just as well and still looks cute. No one's going to laugh at your kid and they will be quite safe without dropping $400!

hellerkm
Jul. 30, 2009, 03:53 PM
We bought the IRH ATH, and she loves it, tried several on my younger DD and STILL cannot find a helmet to snuggly fit her small head! I think the JR8 will work if they put the extra padding in it but did not want to have them do that and then still not fit. I entered a drawing to try to win on e LOL then if I mess it up I won't care! her old helmet still fits so we will keep using that one until it falls apart( it is not in great condition and I am a bit embarrassed to send her in the show ring with it LOL) but at least it fits well.e

Riley0522
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:23 PM
I love my IRH ATH for what it's worth. Fits great and does the job!

Pirateer
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:27 PM
You were a junior when the new helmet rules were passed and you have 8 kids?

ryansgirl
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:31 PM
But while I realize it is not "as safe" as the titanium helmet it meets the specs so should do the job, correct?
...Please no flames because I will not spring for the GPA, I love them and would buy each of my girls one if I thought they were the only option for saving their heads, but I would like to think that the other helmets on the market can do the job without costing me a FORTUNE!

It's not titanium in the helmets - it's actually titium - a combo of stuff. Email GPA and that's what they will tell you. And the GPA is not any safer just because it is more expensive - common misconception ;). All approved helmets are required to meet the same ASTM standards - so your $30 Troxel is just as safe as the $500 GPA... there are stats/test results out there that show the Troxel ranking higher than the GPA.

There is nothing wrong w/ the IRH helmet - if it fits correctly and is approved then that is the helmet your girls should be wearing - fits correctly and is approved are what you need to remember :).

The GPA company is very good at marketing - they get people to spend crazy amounts of money for a helmet when in reality there is no need to since it meets the same safety requirements as the other helmets out there ;).

But it is a personal choice to buy what one wants... :). For me its Charles Owen for show and Tipperary for schooling. :)

gottagrey
Jul. 30, 2009, 04:44 PM
Buy a helmet that fits both head and budget. THere are so many out there now.. I personally found the IRH more comfortable than the GPA...While I'm not keen on the look of the Tipperary - I love the way they fit nearly everyone (from working in tackshop) protected the base of the head/neck, are very comfortable, and you cannot beat the price - around $65. If you need both a schooling and show helmet - then opt for one of the helmets w/the suede like covering - IRH etc. Finding the right helmet has finally gotten past "what's In" for what FITS is what's in.

Happy shopping!

hellerkm
Jul. 30, 2009, 05:20 PM
You were a junior when the new helmet rules were passed and you have 8 kids?
YUp I started having kids at 21 and I am now 40, 5 boys three girls, of course I am DONE! I promise LOL!

Pirateer
Jul. 30, 2009, 05:58 PM
YUp I started having kids at 21 and I am now 40, 5 boys three girls, of course I am DONE! I promise LOL!

My bad- I was thinking that the helmet rule for juniors was the one in 2000 or so. (Making that 8 kids in 9 years....:eek:)

hellerkm
Jul. 30, 2009, 06:49 PM
My bad- I was thinking that the helmet rule for juniors was the one in 2000 or so. (Making that 8 kids in 9 years....:eek:)
NO when I was a JR they started to require that helmets have a harness, I am not SURE but I don't think they had to meet "standards or specs" at that time. they just needed to stay on your head in case of a fall. And if you were not a JR you could still wear your hunt cap without a harness.
My first 5 kids are currently 19,18,16,14,13 so they did come quickly! my last three are 5,4 and 2 1/2

Hunter/JumperMom
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:51 PM
remember that, first it was just this elastic thing that we cut off, then it was a fake harness that we slid over the helmet so we didn't need a new helmet. Then the clear plastic thing with the snaps. And when you would sweat yuck!!!

I refused to buy my daughter a new helmet, she hated her GPA titanium pro or whatever you call it, and she bought herself the speed air, she LOVES IT!! loves the feel of it on her head, and I guess if your wearing it 6 days a week, you want to feel good! Plus it does look so much better on her! Not that that matters, but gone are the days of calling her Gazoo!!

ImmortalSynn
Jul. 31, 2009, 12:28 PM
a Charles Owen Hampton and we love it. It looks great, very classic if you're from the velvet hunt cap days
THANKS!

I'm so glad you shared this, as I ~HATE~ the striped monstrosities that everyone's wearing now. Just saw some pics online, and one of these will be great for replacing "Ol' Velvet" in time.

Again, muchas gracias!

forestergirl99
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:01 PM
I personally like the IRH Xr9. It's really comfortable, and it looks good. It also doesn't cost a ton. You have to go on what fits when buying a helmet though. Many people on here have posted that they have to have a GPA because they have really round heads and nothing else fits!! Thank goodness I do not have that problem or I would never get a new helmet. haha. The IRH and Charles Owen are more for oval heads. And the GPA are for round heads. I've used a Troxel Sport in the past, and it fit fine. Then i got the Capriole for showing, and it was too round for me head.

Btw, I tried on my trainers GPA once, and even though it was way too big, I can see why she likes it! It has a ton of padding! There was seriously like atleast 1/2 an inch of padding in the top. It was rather nice. hahaha.