PDA

View Full Version : I need help with saddle fitting-I have no idea how to!

Wizard of Oz's
Jul. 29, 2009, 11:04 PM
Ok, so I've owned my appendix gelding for 3 years now, and I'm ashamed to say that I know nothing about saddle fitting. I asked my trainer when I bought my saddle (3 years ago) about the fit, and she told me that she's used a medium on every horse she's had and that it's never been a problem. I realize that there is something wrong with that, and now I don't know if my saddle fits my horse. He gets back sore from time to time, and I have no idea how to fit a saddle or what to do if mine doesn't fit. Can help me with the basics for how to fit a saddle?

meupatdoes
Jul. 30, 2009, 02:02 AM
Ok, so I've owned my appendix gelding for 3 years now, and I'm ashamed to say that I know nothing about saddle fitting. I asked my trainer when I bought my saddle (3 years ago) about the fit, and she told me that she's used a medium on every horse she's had and that it's never been a problem. I realize that there is something wrong with that, and now I don't know if my saddle fits my horse. He gets back sore from time to time, and I have no idea how to fit a saddle or what to do if mine doesn't fit. Can help me with the basics for how to fit a saddle?

Buy Joyce Harman's The Horse's Pain Free Back and Saddle Fit Book.

It has excellent illustrations and explanations.

Major booksellers carry it, so it is not hard to get ahold of.

AliBus
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:46 AM
They have good advice on their website -- and if you are serious about getting a new saddle they do long distance saddle evaluations. They saved me from a two year saddle search -- with their help, I had the right saddle within a month. I only wish I had contacted them sooner -- it would have saved me a LOT of time and money!

Good Luck! Saddle fit is so important. I can't tell you how much happier my horse is and how much better he moves in his new saddle.

Fashion Police
Jul. 30, 2009, 10:14 AM
she told me that she's used a medium on every horse she's had and that it's never been a problem. I realize that there is something wrong with that, and now I don't know if my saddle fits my horse.

there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. it's not the answer for every horse, but it is for the majority. depending on the horses she's had it's very possible.

many online tack stores have guides, here's one from Pelham:
http://www.pelham-saddlery.com/fitting.html