PDA

View Full Version : Another person moving to NoVA...

Balloon
Jul. 29, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hey all,

I am a very experienced rider riding at about second/third level looking to move close to Manassas (probably, although I am still exploring areas) and will be in an office just outside DC. Although I have a horse, he is just a baby so I'm hoping to find someone that I could train with during the week in the evenings that has some upper level type school horses. I'm a pretty serious amateur that would love to get in some shows and get some serious training.

I would also love to find someone in the area that needs horses ridden! I will be looking through the rideless/horseless thread as well....

I know there have been a few posts recently about trainers in NoVA, Middleburg etc, but I wanted to set up a separate thread as it looks like there a lot of recommendations that go through PMs.

Thanks everyone!

hoser1
Jul. 29, 2009, 06:11 PM
Welcome to the area! I would start by urging you to reconsider moving to the Manassas (or even Centerville) area and trying to commute to near DC. We lived on the DC side of Warrenton and commuted to McLean and DC for 4 years and it was pure hell for driving - Rt. 66 is a very frustrating commute. If I were you, I'd look at Loudoun if you want to be closer to the country. We moved to western Loudoun 2 years ago and my husband still commutes to McLean. Though it is a long drive and not without traffic, he has the option of the Greenway ($$ but a timesaver) and the commute is just better in general. There are also a number of excellent dressage professionals in Loudoun who would have what you are looking for - I'm sure you will get suggestions here. There are some good people in the Fauquier area too (past Manassas) but for me the commute was just not bearable. Good luck - this is a wonderful area for all that is horsey.

Balloon
Jul. 29, 2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks Hoser1!

I actually lived in Central VA for a while before moving away so I'm a little familliar with the area. I was looking at the commute from Manassas with a sinking heart because I know it would be awful but they have some very cheap apartments which I will desparately need for the next year until I get onto the company's bonus system. I will try looking into Loudon County - it would be great to be near the country and closer to a potential barn!

Janet
Jul. 30, 2009, 02:02 AM
Depending on where you are working "just outside DC" you miht be able to use the commuter rail (VRE) from manassas.

Balloon
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:21 PM
Thank you, Janet. Public transport may be a possibility, but I guess that depends on where I end up living!

No one has any recommendations on trainers in the area? :( Are there just very few people out there with school horses?

Liberty
Jul. 31, 2009, 02:45 PM
I don't have any personal recommendations, but if you check out this link below to virginiaequestrian.com, you'll find listings for boarding and training farms as well as housing for rent:
http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/main.cfm?action=Classifieds

You might just be able to find an apartment/small house to rent on the farm where your horse is boarded. That would mean no after-work commute to go work with your horse. :)

Lastly, you're more than welcome to join the VAHorses Yahoo group (link is in my sig) and post what you're looking for there - someone might have just what you need or be able to make personal recommendations.

Good luck!

YankeeLawyer
Jul. 31, 2009, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the area! I would start by urging you to reconsider moving to the Manassas (or even Centerville) area and trying to commute to near DC. We lived on the DC side of Warrenton and commuted to McLean and DC for 4 years and it was pure hell for driving - Rt. 66 is a very frustrating commute. If I were you, I'd look at Loudoun if you want to be closer to the country. We moved to western Loudoun 2 years ago and my husband still commutes to McLean. Though it is a long drive and not without traffic, he has the option of the Greenway ($$ but a timesaver) and the commute is just better in general. There are also a number of excellent dressage professionals in Loudoun who would have what you are looking for - I'm sure you will get suggestions here. There are some good people in the Fauquier area too (past Manassas) but for me the commute was just not bearable. Good luck - this is a wonderful area for all that is horsey.

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run, run far away from Manassas / Centreville. There are some very lovely farms out there but the commute is atrocious - think 2 hours in the morning to go the 28 miles from Catharpin (near Manassa) to DC. I have lived in Virginia for 5 years and commute daily to DC. We looked for an entire year for a farm before buying in Western Loudoun (near Hoser1, actually), and we test drove the routes from all the properties we seriously considered. I can take the Dulles Greenway to work and there is hardly any traffic on it; the only traffic I encounter is on 66 going through Arlington towards the TR Bridge. Also, we are located on the border of MD, so it is very convenient for showing.

Janet
Jul. 31, 2009, 04:07 PM
There are LOTS of dressage trainers. I just don't know whether or not they have upper level school horses.

paintlady
Jul. 31, 2009, 04:10 PM
No one has any recommendations on trainers in the area? :( Are there just very few people out there with school horses?

Here is one possibility:

Willow Way Riding Stables
Haymarket, VA
http://www.willowwayridingstables.com/

Jen Moran was the 2008 VADA NoVA Trainer of the Year. I take lessons with Jen on my own horse, but she also has some lesson horses available.

Also, check out these websites for ads:

VADA NoVA
http://www.vadanova.org/

Virginia Equestrian
http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/

I live in Centreville, VA and board in Clifton, VA. I used to commute to DC via bus to metro. It took me 1.5 hours to downtown. Luckily, I was able to find a job in Reston which is only 10 miles away from my house.

Good luck!

YankeeLawyer
Jul. 31, 2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks Hoser1!

I actually lived in Central VA for a while before moving away so I'm a little familliar with the area. I was looking at the commute from Manassas with a sinking heart because I know it would be awful but they have some very cheap apartments which I will desparately need for the next year until I get onto the company's bonus system. I will try looking into Loudon County - it would be great to be near the country and closer to a potential barn!

You might also be able to find a good deal in Loudoun - housing is hurting. Also, if you are a little flexible, I have been reading about professional housesitters - people who are paid to live in houses while they are on the market and until they are sold, as it is easier to sell a house that does not look abandoned. Sometimes people can live for months rent free in a really nice house.

K Bayo
Jul. 31, 2009, 07:45 PM
Balloon, PM me. I might have the perfect solution for you.

fuzzy.pony
Jul. 31, 2009, 09:38 PM
Here is one possibility:

Willow Way Riding Stables
Haymarket, VA
http://www.willowwayridingstables.com/

GOOD GOD NO. RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN AWAY!!!!

YankeeLawyer
Jul. 31, 2009, 10:02 PM
Mary Flood is a very good dressage trainer and she might have some upper level school horses; not sure. Her website is wildfirefarm.com She also has a really nice facility and hosts good clinics (Lisa Wilcox has taught there several times).

Balloon
Aug. 1, 2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses :) I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now. I thought I knew the area and where to get some good ideas and I do have some connections, but once I started actually thinking about where to start....ack!!! :eek:

No Manassas. Got it :D

I'm actually excited about the possibility of setting up shop in Loudoun county. I love the area and would prefer to be in a more country setting (after 3 years in NYC, I. AM. DONE!!), but never bothered to get out a map and realize it was a lot closer to DC than I thought.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 2, 2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses :) I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now. I thought I knew the area and where to get some good ideas and I do have some connections, but once I started actually thinking about where to start....ack!!! :eek:

I'm actually excited about the possibility of setting up shop in Loudoun county. I love the area and would prefer to be in a more country setting (after 3 years in NYC, I. AM. DONE!!), but never bothered to get out a map and realize it was a lot closer to DC than I thought.

I am from NY originally. The cost of living is much friendlier in the DC area. ; )

SaddleFitterVA
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:43 AM
GOOD GOD NO. RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN AWAY!!!!

Really? And, pray tell, WHY would you post something that is just a bunch of harmful innuendo?:mad::confused:

I have never boarded there, but I have been there for a schooling show, and everyone was friendly, I saw no horses being abused or starved.
Substance please.

If it is simply that you don't care for the trainer, then just say it that way. I know of a "L" judge who likes to spout off about how terrible a certain local professional is, yet I know people who have been in that local professional's barn for years, and that barn is very successful in the show ring and gives horses top notch attention/care. And is full of contented humans and adults from what I've seen.

For the OP, there are lots of nice dressage barns here. Not so many that have school horses, and while I may have personal likes/dislikes on a few, I also know that everyone has different requirements from a barn.

Janet
Aug. 2, 2009, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Manassas, depending on WHERE you are working, and how flexible your hours are.

I live in Nokesville, beyond Manassas, and have commuted to Chantilly/Centreville for many years. I also commuted to Tysons for a few yeras, and the problems were the congestion at Tysons, not at the Manassas end.

My sister commuted from Nokesville to downtown DC for years, but she had very flexible hours.

paintlady
Aug. 2, 2009, 07:05 PM
Really? And, pray tell, WHY would you post something that is just a bunch of harmful innuendo?:mad::confused:

I have never boarded there, but I have been there for a schooling show, and everyone was friendly, I saw no horses being abused or starved.
Substance please.

If it is simply that you don't care for the trainer, then just say it that way. I know of a "L" judge who likes to spout off about how terrible a certain local professional is, yet I know people who have been in that local professional's barn for years, and that barn is very successful in the show ring and gives horses top notch attention/care. And is full of contented humans and adults from what I've seen.

For the OP, there are lots of nice dressage barns here. Not so many that have school horses, and while I may have personal likes/dislikes on a few, I also know that everyone has different requirements from a barn.

Well stated.

I was simply trying to help the OP who wanted suggestions on dressage barns with lesson horses. Jen has been a huge help to me and my mare. I know others who enjoy their lessons with her too. Heck, she was the 2008 VADA NoVA trainer of the year. Willow Way is also one of the only places that I'm aware of with dressage lesson horses in NoVA.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think your message would have been better off being sent as a PM to the OP. There is no reason to flame individual trainers or farms in a public forum.

fuzzy.pony
Aug. 2, 2009, 08:02 PM

Substance please.

Sending you, the OP and the last poster a PM. If anyone else would like information, please PM me.

For the OP - lesson horses are hard to come by, but please don't settle for bad quality training and instruction just to have something to ride.

Sugar Coated
Dec. 18, 2009, 03:32 AM
While in Virginia, my husband and I lived in Fairfax. He commuted to the pentagon and I traveled to a working student position in Loudoun. Our townhome was right off highway 50 so it worked well as a middle-of-the-road compromise for us both.

TimelyImpulse
Dec. 18, 2009, 08:25 AM
http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/main.cfm?action=Classifieds&sub=view&ID=50104

I know it's an ad for a working student, but it's got info for Christina Morris

http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/main.cfm?action=Classifieds&sub=view&ID=48195

same, but for Jennifer Mutchler.

Also, if you move to Fredericksburg/Stafford, you can ride my horses as much as you want! :D

Seriously though, south on 95, at least you have transportation options: VRE, bus, and the most fun of all... slugging. My husband slugs to the Pentagon, takes about 45 minutes on a good day.

Also, rents are fairly reasonable in this area, with a lot of horse activity available locally or within an hour.

And, almost forgot, I lived in Manassas, worked in Tyson's and DC, and eventually quit the job because of the commute. Really.

trooper345
Dec. 18, 2009, 11:14 AM
For the OP

another very nice barn with top notch instruction and the availability of horses is Riverside Equestrian in Bluemont www.riversideequestrian.org

Best of luck in your move and your search!

blackhorsegirl
Dec. 19, 2009, 11:14 AM
If you haven't thought of it, consider the 95 corridor. Traffic is bad everywhere but along 95 you can take advantage of the "slugs" and get in the express lanes. If you don't know anything about slugs, just ask. They're unique to I95.

I live in Woodbridge and train with Donna Gatchell. She lives in Nokesville and trains people in Woodbridge, Manassas, and Nokesville. She is a wonderful instructor who is, also, showing and training herself. Good luck!