PDA

View Full Version : My *possibly* new Dressage prospect = )

mandalea
Jul. 28, 2009, 05:03 AM
Is for sale by a person I know on Facebook :lol:

'Rising 3 TB mare by Cool Cat, unbroken but ready to go. Very quiet and easy to handle, will mature a fine 15-15.2hh'

Her sire: http://www.darlingtonstud.com.au/coolcat.html

I was hoping for something between 16 - 16.3 + hh, as I am quite tall, but she sounds fine :)

I am looking for a greenbean to go on with, and if I start her myself, I will know what she knows. If you know what I mean :winkgrin: :lol:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs175.snc1/6570_1178778382696_1025230101_30572170_148875_n.jp g

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs175.snc1/6570_1178778422697_1025230101_30572171_261131_n.jp g

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs175.snc1/6570_1178784022837_1025230101_30572198_5712306_n.j pg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs175.snc1/6570_1178778502699_1025230101_30572173_6416810_n.j pg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs195.snc1/6570_1178779062713_1025230101_30572177_4028551_n.j pg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs195.snc1/6570_1178778982711_1025230101_30572175_4130587_n.j pg

What do you guys think ?

Though, I will probably have to pass on her, because I don't really have the room, and my sister wants to sell her pony, because she's getting to big to ride her, but she doesn't. We'll have to wait and see.. :sigh:

Roan
Jul. 28, 2009, 05:51 AM
If it were me, I would pass.

He's camped out behind, has a weak forearm set too far forward and his croup is too steep. His hip is more like a jumper's than a dressage horse's.

He also looks back at the knee, but it's hard to see with the wraps. Throatlatch is kinda thick and his neck a tad short.

Just my 2 cents
Eileen

mandalea
Jul. 28, 2009, 06:57 AM
She does have jumping lines as well, and she's only 3 - still a baby.

slc2
Jul. 28, 2009, 06:57 AM
For a lower level horse, possibly. I can't see her legs, so can't comment on that, except that even with the wraps she appears very light boned, but she looks like she will have a heavy coarse front end (neck, shoulder, chest are loaded now even as a youngster, with a very straight low set neck), and a very short, narrow croup. She naturally moves very on the forehand in the pictures, carrying her head and neck rather low. She appears to tighten up her back muscles and under neck to balance herself.

thatmoody
Jul. 28, 2009, 01:16 PM
I think it's different if it's a horse you start out with. If you already owned her and were asking if you should do dressage with her, I'd say "sure, why not?" But as a purpose-based purchase, I might keep looking for a while to see what else is out there in your price range. You might as well get as much horse for your money as you possibly can...

mbm
Jul. 28, 2009, 01:20 PM
cute!

dressage is for all horses, and unless she is lame etc she seems perfectly fine for dressage.

remember folks - most of us have no Olympic aspirations.... we just want to learn and progress the horses we love.

SillyHorse
Jul. 28, 2009, 01:28 PM
I don't care for her front end at all. Her neck is low set, and her whole front end is heavy. She may appear to be camped out due to the way she was set up for the photo, but I'd certainly find out about that.

thatmoody
Jul. 28, 2009, 02:03 PM
cute!

dressage is for all horses, and unless she is lame etc she seems perfectly fine for dressage.

remember folks - most of us have no Olympic aspirations.... we just want to learn and progress the horses we love.

Absolutely true, but if you're going to buy a prospect, it might as well be the best prospect you can buy...

Roan
Jul. 28, 2009, 02:58 PM
Absolutely true, but if you're going to buy a prospect, it might as well be the best prospect you can buy...

Exactly.

Eileen

Equibrit
Jul. 28, 2009, 03:05 PM
What's wrong with the right side ?

RougeEmpire
Jul. 28, 2009, 03:09 PM
The real question is "what price?". I would not look on this horse as an upper level SHOW prospect per say. I to believe dressage is for all horses, not just pricey "specially bred" Warmbloods. However when it comes to competing and paying out a lot of money to show its best to hedge your bets with a horse that is of-the-style. In other words the kinds of horses the judges like to look on. This horse is lovely but has several flaws already pointed out by others, it's really more of "huntery" kinda horse, though even there I would not consider an "A circuit prospect". This horse is cute and looks kind but you can find horses just as nice or NICER for a grand or so on CANTER. What this horse really has going for it is that it is an UNSTARTED three year old, in the TB world that's hard to find! If you can get him on the cheap I would say for it, but they want a heafty chunk of money I would say pass.

MyReality
Jul. 28, 2009, 03:11 PM
I always interpret "prospect" as something that is competitive up the levels. In the future, it will really help if the OP could state her expectation of the horse.

Also be careful what you're paying for these "prospect" type.

I know so many people bought the wrong horse, including myself, imagining they are more capable than they could ever be, it's not even funny.

mandalea
Jul. 29, 2009, 04:25 AM
I'm not planning on moving up the levels anytime soon. I'm happy where I am doing simple WTC tests.

My intentions for her are basic dressage, some jumping, a HT now and then, and Show Hunter classes, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJfw66d9RE&feature=fvw

Nothing to advanced. Will probably end up training her up, then selling her to a PC kid.

She is $5500 (US$4,517), which is a little out of reach, but I'm talking to her owner about maybe a lease, where I could pay her off through the fees.. I've done it before.

Conformation wise, she doesn't worry me. I've asked lots of Q's , and she seems fine. Nothing serious to worry about.

Fortune
Jul. 29, 2009, 04:40 AM
For $5500, No way. You can get a relatively established Prelim/Novice horse (Although more of a Pony Clubber type than something that would go higher than Elementary) for that much. Unless it was something truly spectacular, I wouldn't pay that much for an unbroken Thoroughbred. Has she raced? You can get some very nice OTTBs for under $1000.

OTTBs aren't everyone's cup of tea, especially ones the more interesting temperaments. But in Aus you can get decent enough Warmblood propects for around the 5k mark that don't have in fashion bloodlines and while are nice horses, aren't going to be the next Olympic superstar but sound suitable for what you're looking for.

From what I've seen Arab x Warmblood youngsters usually go for affordable prices too and most I've seen make nice Dressage prospects.

Roan
Jul. 29, 2009, 07:02 AM
I'm not planning on moving up the levels anytime soon. I'm happy where I am doing simple WTC tests.

My intentions for her are basic dressage, some jumping, a HT now and then, and Show Hunter classes, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJfw66d9RE&feature=fvw

Nothing to advanced. Will probably end up training her up, then selling her to a PC kid.

She is $5500 (US$4,517), which is a little out of reach, but I'm talking to her owner about maybe a lease, where I could pay her off through the fees.. I've done it before. . . .

In all seriousness, why did you even bother asking us what we thought? You obviously want this horse regardless of its suitability for dressage. Any horse can do simple W/T/C tests.

As for the asking price -- IMO that's a ridiculous amount for that mare, regardless of bloodline.

Conformation wise, she doesn't worry me. I've asked lots of Q's , and she seems fine. Nothing serious to worry about.

What we are pointing out are not just soundness issues, but conformation issues that will not improve with age and which could affect her movement as a dressage horse.

If you really want an overall opinion, you might want to try posting this in the h/j forum instead of here.

You did ask ;)

Eileen

slc2
Jul. 29, 2009, 07:38 AM
The HJ forum is far less likely to show concern about the conformation issues that make the most prpblem for dressage.

I DO so love it when people ask for comments on a horse, 'should I buy him or not' and then after people work their little brains, carefully type in their comments, and pore carefully over the pictures, say 'Well, I'm getting him anyway, so sod off'. ESPECIALLY when it really sounds like they had that POV from the START.

Ir you have already decided, just post and say, 'I'm buying this'. Please.

THEN you tell us they want 5500 dollars for it and you're gonna somehow finagle to pay that!

kookicat
Jul. 29, 2009, 08:25 AM
I think she's cute. What kind of 'person' is she? A good work ethic and a willing temperament can help to overcome physical shortcomings.

Roan
Jul. 29, 2009, 09:36 AM
The HJ forum is far less likely to show concern about the conformation issues that make the most prpblem for dressage.True, but aren't some of the issues we've pointed out universal conformation problems? I just can't see that mare lifting that front end over a jump very nicely. Then again, I don't know, so that's why I'm asking.

. . .
THEN you tell us they want 5500 dollars for it and you're gonna somehow finagle to pay that!That's that part that gets me. If she were a couple thousand, sure, but not at that price. No amount of maturity is going to fix some of the conformation problems that mare has.

Eileen

MyReality
Jul. 29, 2009, 10:53 AM
Guys, if that horse is from breeder, especially those who thought they are breeding dressage horses, I doubt she would want to part with a horse for much less... unless it's herd reduction or something. Just how it goes.

Having said that, that's the price the breeder want to charge, that's her business. There are indeed tons of cheaper ones out there of compatible quality.

Again, this is one of those "fall in love and figure out what to do with it later".

And we all know what happen usually.

But I don't understand why OP wants to call her a dressage prospect in the original post, when she wants to do hunter. ?????? What a waste of time.

Fortune
Jul. 29, 2009, 11:56 AM
But I don't understand why OP wants to call her a dressage prospect in the original post, when she wants to do hunter. ?????? What a waste of time.

She's from Australia and our hunters over here are completely different from the American version. Our 'Show Hunters' are judged on the flat and should (although alot are just jammed up in double bridles :rolleyes:) work in a similar manner to a Dressage horse. We have 'Working Hunter' as well, which is over fences.

Although by Australian standards, in my opinion, that mare is not a hunter type.

WBLover
Jul. 29, 2009, 04:33 PM
I'm just not seeing her as bad as some of you are I don't think her confo is THAT bad! I think she'd make a nice lower level dressage horse, her hip/croup looks short/steep IMO because of the angle of the pictures, I think the cameraperson didn't get her dead on the side of her in any of them, is standing more towards the front of her. Her shoulder angle is decent (don't know how you can tell she'll be coarse in front in the FUTURE) because right now other than a thick throatlatch she's pretty refined through the neck/shoulders and doesn't have a LOT more changing to do in 6 months to a year. She looks like she moves fairly well, good reach, steps under, bends those hocks, and sure she's on the forehand, she's done NOTHING yet, and isn't fully mature! And even if she is a flatter mover it doesn't mean she can't do dressage, some of that can be improved with training and for a lower level horse, isn't that important.

No, she's not a spectacular mover, but I don't think she's as limited as people think and with some good training she'd make a nice little lower level mare. She's "pretty" too--very cute face.

Now, she's not worth anywhere NEAR her asking price, with so many OTTB's on the market even though she's not been raced they'll never get that much for her. But they certainly can ask!

thatmoody
Jul. 29, 2009, 06:10 PM
I think that's my point, either. I don't think she looks horrible at all - not by any stretch of the imagination. But if I'm going out and looking for a prospect, as opposed to having a horse fall in my lap for next to nothing, I want to evaluate them rather critically.

PennyChrome
Jul. 29, 2009, 08:18 PM
It depends so much on how much money you are spending. If you're spending under $3500, I think she's a nice prospect, but nice thoroughbred prospects are definitely a dime a dozen. I'd pay $1000 for her if she has a good attitude. If you have more than $4000 to spend, you can do much better.

grayarabpony
Jul. 29, 2009, 10:41 PM
I don't know about about the price, because quite frankly often the price of a horse is so arbitrary, but I think she's lovely. She looks like an athlete and would probably be good at a lot of things.