PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Half/support pad?

cgray0983
Jul. 27, 2009, 06:49 PM
Okay, so I couldn't think of a good name for the thread - but I am looking for a good pad for my horse to wear between my saddle and normal dressage pad. Dressage newb here so any insight would be helpful, I stood for 20 minutes today staring at the girths at my local tack shop on my lunch break. Its so overwhelming! You would think my 20 years in the jumper ring would make a difference - nope - not to mention the amount of c**p I have that won't work for dressage at all!

Saddle is a next to new Kieffer Rhein (only used for a year by someone) and then sat around for years. Saddle fits horse well and I am just looking for a shock absorber (I am a freak when it comes to pads, on my jumping saddle I use a baby pad, a whither pad, and a fleece pad). All I could find at a local tack shop were Supracor (mucho $$$) and Fleeceworks with sheepskin built into the dressage pad - so it looked a little thick and possible a pain to launder.

I was doing some reading on the ThinLine pads, does anyone have opinions on the/use them? Have a good recommendation of something else? Again, I do not need a pad that will correct saddle fit.

buck22
Jul. 27, 2009, 07:31 PM
if you are not looking to correct fit, then I'd look for the thinnest possible with max shock absorption. IMHO, thinline or good medicinal sheepskin. Sheepskin will squish down under the saddle and not be as lofty as you'd think. I also find it easy to clean, I basically brush mine clean and bathe it once in a while. Sheepskin keeps backs cool in summer and warm in winter.

I love my thinline for bump deadening.

I personally use thinline on top of sheepskin.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jul. 27, 2009, 07:44 PM
If the fit is fine and all you want is shock absorption, I'd go for a Thinline pad. (www.thinlineinc.com).
My little prince and the pea requires a sheepskin pad directly on his back though :lol:, and I have my saddle adjusted to accomodate the thicker pad.

cgray0983
Jul. 27, 2009, 07:48 PM
Great, thanks for the advice, I was already leaning towards ThinLine (I am a huge Back on Track fan and was eyeing their combination pad), but back to the point, the Ultra ThinLine's look like exactly what I have in mind.

Sunny Side Up
Jul. 27, 2009, 08:04 PM
hmm, what about a mattes?
http://www.smartpakequine.com/landingpgs/mattes/matteslanding.aspx?cm_mmc=Google-_-Tack-_-Saddle%20Pads-_-mattes%20saddleiq_id=8400122
i really like one...i own a fleecework pad and it works for me and what i do, but i'd prefer a mattes.
mmm, not sure if it's what you want (they're also PRETTY expensive imo), but i hope i helped a bit!

HollysHobbies
Jul. 27, 2009, 08:09 PM
I find the mattes/mattes like sheepskin pads too thick. My saddle fits, but I wanted a bit of extra shock absorber without sacrificing fit, so I got a true, honeycomb style, very thin gel pad from Dover for around 50$. I actually bought the Western saddle fit, which seemed to work with my dressage saddle best. You can cut to fit size, just don't leave it over your saddle unless you want your saddle to look like honeycomb. http://www.doversaddlery.com/grand-prix-soft-gel-half-pad/p/X1-19462/cn/1723/

You can buy a cover, but they are $$$.
I'm very pleased with it.

cgray0983
Jul. 27, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks, I was going to stay away from Mattes purely due to the price - even though I have been lusting after one for my jumping for years (settle on my oldschool felt/wool whither pad, which I think I could burn and it would still work).

I will have to look into the honeycomb, although now I am totally smitten with the idea of the ThinLines. I always need a back-up though for when I will inevitably misplace it for a day or two.

PennyChrome
Jul. 28, 2009, 02:51 AM
Yep, thinline or sheepskin. Thinline has a new pad that has less over the spine. Mattes is more expensive than Fleeceworks - I like fleeceworks better. If you're picky about padding - check your flocking often.