PDA

View Full Version : need shipping boots, recommendations please

vestito
Jul. 26, 2009, 09:19 PM
So I have seen Lende and Woof. My mare really tosses herself around the trailer and after an hour to and from my new trainer my mare had chewed up hocks, cuts and all.

My trailer is a slant which has plenty of room for her as I give her a double slot. But she is horrible to haul, paws and slams herself backwards. The trailer is rubber lined but the rubber is ribbed which is why she was so cut up.

I looked on the Dover website and they seem to offer a pretty wide selection, I am just wondering which ones will hold up best for this type of abuse.
Thanks for your time in advance

Carol Ames
Jul. 26, 2009, 09:31 PM
Dover shipping boots from the catalog; I bought my first pair after a former student recommended them; her trailer had overturned:eek: and the outside of the boot was abraded from the friction :oof the horses' other hind foot/ leg shoe, but the leg inside the boot was:yes: unmarked; I liked them so much, I ended up buying three (3):cool: pair!http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-04157&ids=560690965

dressagedevon
Jul. 26, 2009, 09:31 PM
I have the dover ones and love them, especially for the price tag!! Mine are several years old have been washed numerous times and still look new, and one of my guys paws the trailer and is sometimes very rough on the trailer. I have not used the other ones.

Classical DQ
Jul. 26, 2009, 09:34 PM
Another vote for the Dover boots!! They are great and I love that the inside is nylon, so you don't have to pick hay, shavings, dirt, etc. out of fleece. They wash great. I've had mine forever!!

pday09
Jul. 26, 2009, 10:25 PM
I've never used the Dover ones, but I have used the Pessoa shipping boots which are nice looking and also well padded, and even have reinforced bottoms, incase the horse catches themselves on the heels or whatever. They're also pretty well priced, given they've lasted me forever. I've hauled my horse at least once a week in them all show season for 2 years now, and not a scratch. (They're also easy to clean, which I know cause my horse likes to poo all over herself in the trailer... lol)
http://www.marystack.com/aaaaaaadfh.html

Hampton Bay
Jul. 26, 2009, 11:13 PM
I have the Dover Pro boots and LOVE them. I need to order another pair soon. Too bad Dover's shipping sucks so much.

cgray0983
Jul. 26, 2009, 11:14 PM
Dover shipping boots from the catalog; I bought my first pair after a former student recommended them; her trailer had overturned:eek: and the outside of the boot was abraded from the friction :oof the horses' other hind foot/ leg shoe, but the leg inside the boot was:yes: unmarked; I liked them so much, I ended up buying three (3):cool: pair!http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-04157&ids=560690965

Another vote for the Dover boots. Mine have held up excellently.

Jim Knopf
Jul. 27, 2009, 01:21 AM
I prefer my Pessoa (or Woof, which I had before the Pessoa) to the Dover ones. Maybe I am lazy, but I do NOT like fastening and unfastening all those velcro closures.

cowgurl1985
Jul. 27, 2009, 03:52 AM
and yet another vote for the dover shipping boots! love them!

vestito
Jul. 27, 2009, 07:29 AM
wow thanks, I actually would never have considered the Dover Boots. I had bought some Dover splint boots to ride in that looked like DMB boots and they never held up.
I reallly liked the Dover Pro's when one of you sent the link. I noticed that these only come cob or full size. My mare is 17 hands so I hope they reach over the hock ok, that is where she really needs protection.
Hampton Bay, I totally agree with the shipping. I usually use VTO or SmartPak just for that reason.
But luckily for me I am going to be driving right by Dover next week while heading for the beach.

Thanks to all who responded, it was a huge help

cgray0983
Jul. 27, 2009, 10:58 AM
My 17.3hh Holsteiner fit the full size.

Dressage_Julie
Jul. 27, 2009, 11:19 AM
I am from the old school thought- I wrap in bell boots, pillows and standing wraps... I feel they give the most protection- but the catch it you must know how to wrap.

retrofit
Jul. 27, 2009, 02:47 PM
Another vote for Dover. They run big. The horse size fits my big guy.

SBrentnall
Jul. 27, 2009, 02:53 PM
I have a pair of Dover Pros for sale. They've only been used once but they don't really fit my horse. They're warmblood size. PM me if you're interested.

vestito
Jul. 27, 2009, 03:37 PM
I must be from the really old school, as usually I don't believe in any wraps at all. But this mare really needs protection up on the back of her hocks. So I don't know how to wrap those up, I am afraid if I tried she might destroy the trailer trying to get them off!

dressagedevon
Jul. 27, 2009, 04:24 PM
These are the ones I have http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-pro-shipping-boots/p/X1-0492/cn/123/, actually I have both the old ones and the newer syles. They are usually on sale through the dover catalog and the pessoa ones look the same, so which ever color you like the best. Plus like eveyone said the Dover ones run large. I have horse size and somehow they fit my 16 hand horse and my 17.1 hand horse!!

Hampton Bay
Jul. 27, 2009, 04:32 PM
It's the PRO that you want, not the regular ones. The regular ones are very thin, and IMO they really offer no protection. The Pro's run pretty darned big. My 15.3h mare can fit into the horse size, but cob would probably fit her better. You should have no trouble with them fitting a 17h horse.

mhill
Jul. 29, 2009, 05:29 PM
You can also look into the EquiFit shipping boots. They are great because they conform to the horses leg so they do not slide down during transportation. If she is a kicker and likes to paw the T-Foam liners that are much like memory foam are going to absorb the shock of whatever she decides to do.

Clean up is a breeze, all you do is remove the liner, throw it in the wash/dryer and then hose off the outer shell. A lot of other shipping boots are tough to clean and can't offer the same amount of support.

Puddin Pie
Jul. 29, 2009, 05:40 PM
I have had a set of the Dover Pro's for 5 years now and they have held up very well. But I have a pawer, not a kicker or scrambler. Once you wash them, they still look new.

Cowgirl
Jul. 30, 2009, 05:55 AM
My Lendes are nearly 10 years old. I've had the velcro replaced and the the kickplates restitched, but otherwise, they have worn like iron.

vestito
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:43 AM
I have a set of Dover Pros coming, now I am hoping that they fit her they are full size, hope that they're not too big!
I have heard really good thing about the Lende boots. I just can't spend that much money.

Hampton Bay
Jul. 30, 2009, 06:29 PM
I have a set of Dover Pros coming, now I am hoping that they fit her they are full size, hope that they're not too big!
I have heard really good thing about the Lende boots. I just can't spend that much money.

How tall is your mare? The horse size would fit the 16h+ range. Under that might need cob size. I found that it's mainly the hinds that are long on my mare; the fronts fit perfectly. My mare is 15.2h. The hinds fit better on my 15.2h Arab, who still has an inch or two to grow and it overall leggies than my mare.

I think the angle of the hock matters some too. My Pro's would be a better fit for a horse with a more angled hock than my mare has. They still work though.

vestito
Jul. 30, 2009, 08:22 PM
I really need to stick her but I think she is between 16.3 and 17 hands. As long as they cover the back of her hocks I will be happy.

Equa
Jul. 31, 2009, 07:13 AM
Have a look at the Buccas shipping boots. Best I have ever seen. Also have some Pessoa branded ones which we are shipping/flying a horse in next week. Take care when walking the horse off after applying long shipping boots - it's a hoot!

blackhorsegirl
Jul. 31, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'm a Lendes fan. Great boots that are like the Energizer Bunny. I only have one horse and he only has four legs and I need every one of those to be safe.

Consensus
Aug. 4, 2009, 11:12 PM
Sounds like an Ad for Dover!