PDA

View Full Version : Really Stretchy Breeches

wetzpretz
Jul. 25, 2009, 10:54 PM
Does anyone has suggestions for really stretchy breeches that also have a full seat and real leather? I either find stretch with the fake leather or real leather that I have to keep yanking up. Also, what does everyone use for washing the real leather breeches? Any tips for keeping the leather from becoming like cardboard?
Thanks!

RedMare01
Jul. 25, 2009, 11:30 PM
I have a pair of FITS breeches that are great...real leather seat, and I guess they are "stretchy"...at least they don't seem constricting at all. I also use the Leather Therapy detergent for washers and then let air dry. Works well!

Caitlin

HCF
Jul. 25, 2009, 11:35 PM
I second the FITS. I have three pair, two for schooling and a white pair for shows. They are pretty stretchy and the deerskin is very soft, even after lots of washes. I also use the Leather Therapy wash in the washer and hang them to dry.

nadasy
Jul. 26, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hi,
I just got a pair of Horka breeches without the leather seat, but the full seat is in the material of the breeches and the knee pads are the material they use which is not leather, but so much like it you get the wear and useability of it but not the stiffness or wear out like some of the leathers used.

The breeches are stretchy but hold their shape amazingly well. I have GS full seats, have always washed them in the machine with about a T of All or Tide, and air dried them. The seats are still fine, the leather is still soft, and I even have a pair of All Leather GS's I used for x-c and foxhunting, and they are as soft as when I got them 18 years ago. I love those, they are perfect.

I've had the pull on kind with the deerskin seats, they were stretchy but also felt like I was always pulling them up and adjusting them, and ended up having to wear them with suspenders :lol: I gave all three of them to a friend and went back to my GS.

Now that I've found the Horka's I'm HOOKED!! They will be my BOC from now on, and very affordable. I wear breeches like my helmet every ride every day so they really get a work out.

There is a COTH'r that also sells these. I've met two COTH'rs this weekend, it was a lot of fun, such nice ladies!

dwblover
Jul. 26, 2009, 09:35 AM
Equissentials!!! I wash them with leather therapy wash and then the conditioning rinse. I have never had a pair of full seat breeches that are so soft and stretchy, yet hold up incredibly well. And they are real leather, yet don't make me hot at all in the summer.

Spyder
Jul. 26, 2009, 10:31 AM
Tropical Riders and Aanstadt Das both make deerskin full seat pull-on breeches (actually tights with full seats) and they are really stretchy. You can get Aanstadt Das on eBay for around $125. Deerskin is a lot softer and resilient than cowhide and you have to work at it to ruin it.

From my experience, they all start to sag since they don't have belt loops so I wear a belt and roll the waistband over the belt to keep them up.

tazlover08
Jul. 26, 2009, 10:32 AM
I second the Equissentials!

ThreeFigs
Jul. 26, 2009, 11:54 AM
Aanstadt Das, Equissentials are especially stretchy. FITS are pretty close, and are most comfortable. Yup, I often wear suspenders with my Aanstadts and Equissentials!
Retro chic!

PennyChrome
Jul. 26, 2009, 10:17 PM
Make sure the first time you wash real leather full seats to add a little vinegar to set the dye in the leather. Sometimes I throw mine in the wash (cold, gentle,) but I try to just wash them in the sink......or not at all! And, when you're letting them dry, NEVER leave them in the sun! (Goes for tack too).

I have 3 pairs of this obscure brand Equiwear and they are awesome! Real leather, comfortable, durable, don't ride up, down, or around...my only gripe would be that they get bagged out after a few rides, then I feel like I need to wash them even if they're not filthy just to get the shape back.

ThreeFigs
Jul. 26, 2009, 11:20 PM
Ooh, good tip about the vinegar! I did not know that!

RedMare01
Jul. 26, 2009, 11:47 PM
My FITS are beige, but I did not add vinegar the first time I washed them (with the Leather Therapy in the washer on gentle cycle) and I didn't have a problem. But maybe because they don't really have much color...

Caitlin

up-at-5
Jul. 27, 2009, 09:13 AM
My vote goes to both Tropical Riders, and FITS. The TR's are very well made, and you can get some awesome half price deals on their website. I also have a pair of FITS that I love. When they wear out, I will definately replace them. For every day schooling, though, the half price TR's are the best bang for your buck!

redsky
Jul. 28, 2009, 07:57 AM
I'm going to say Equissentials. I'm typically a 26/28 and they had a pair of 20s in clearance at my local tack store and I got them on and can wear them comfortably :eek:. Just no bathroom breaks while at the barn! How's that for stretchy?

They were only $20 so it made sense at the time... :winkgrin: