PDA

View Full Version : Shelly Francis' GP partner Dominion dead

canyonoak
Jul. 25, 2009, 10:51 AM
Shelly Francis has lost her GP partner, Dominion, in a tragic accident.

http://www.eurodressage.com/news/dressage/america/2009/usa_dominion.html

My deepest sympathy goes out to Shelly Francis and the others who loved this horse.

JEN22
Jul. 25, 2009, 11:14 AM
Deepest sympathy to Dominion's people. What a terrible tragedy for him and all those who loved him.
RIP and Godspeed Dominion....

Coreene
Jul. 25, 2009, 11:38 AM
How very, very sad. Poor thing, what a way to go. :cry: Condolences to all his people, what a devaststing loss of a lovely horse.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Jul. 25, 2009, 11:53 AM
so sorry!

paintjumper
Jul. 25, 2009, 12:02 PM
what horror for him and his people companions. God Speed beautiful boy, the competition in Heaven just got better at the dressage arena! ;)

Hazelnut
Jul. 25, 2009, 12:31 PM
How sad - thoughts to all concerned.

GreekDressageQueen
Jul. 25, 2009, 08:06 PM
Yes, this is sad and I feel bad for all involved but seriously, how does a horse break a leg in a stall and bleed to death? I hear of similar stories and it always boggles my mind.

Bogey2
Jul. 25, 2009, 08:28 PM
Yes, this is sad and I feel bad for all involved but seriously, how does a horse break a leg in a stall and bleed to death? I hear of similar stories and it always boggles my mind

there but for the grace of god go I. I am not going to explain the whole thing but remember, we are dealing with horses and these things happen.
I am sure the whole thing is awful enough without going in to detail.
My heart goes out to Shelly and the owners.

sid
Jul. 25, 2009, 08:46 PM
Such tragic news. She held a clinic here years ago and was a wonderful horseman as well a clinician.

And GDQ, as others can attest, if you've been around horses long enough you know catastrophic things can happen to them of their own doing, despite the best of care and safe housing. Becoming cast and/or just getting up "wrong" and/or slipping getting up. (I had a mare boarded here who, IN HER FIELD BY HERSELF, appears to have slipped getting up and compound fractured her femur, which punctured her femoral artery. She was in shock from blood loss when I found her and was euthanized immediately).

GP horses are no less prone to freak accidents of any other horse.

Condolences to Ms. Francis on the loss of her partner.

CHAXOR
Jul. 25, 2009, 08:53 PM
I know there are no words to say that will heal, Only time will do that.
My deepest symapthy to Shelly, Pat, and all who loved and cared for Dominion.

Bogey2
Jul. 25, 2009, 09:06 PM
sid, that was a quote at the beginning of my post... not something I would say. I was responding to GDQ because I thought her comment was flip.

sid
Jul. 25, 2009, 09:18 PM
Oh my...I'm getting old and my eyes fail me...so, sorry Bogey. ;) I'll edit accordingly.

J-Lu
Jul. 25, 2009, 09:32 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo, Dominion was such a cool horse. I also really respect Shelly as a rider and trainer. Goes to show that bad things happen to good horses and good people. :( My condolences to them.

MintHillFarm
Jul. 25, 2009, 09:38 PM
How devastating...my deepest sympathy to all his connections. What a tragedy for them, I am so sorry.

GreekDressageQueen
Jul. 26, 2009, 09:57 AM
I was responding to GDQ because I thought her comment was flip.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: SO sorry that my comment was offensive to you. Yes, I've been around horses for many many years and yes, I hear about freak accidents like this and it STILL boggles my mind how these things happen. Perhaps injuries to horses are so common around you that it no longer shocks you, but it shocks me. I wasn't trying to lessen the tragedy or mock the people involved in some way. Lighten up!

slc2
Jul. 26, 2009, 10:10 AM
My friend's horse was lying down, and got cast. Trying to get on its feet the horse tore down an entire 12' stall wall - 2 inch oak boards and all the accompanying stall bars, a 12 foot long stretch of bars and their base, which sits on top of the boards, fell on the horse. The base, which is standard steel stock, is channel stock, shaped like a square cornered U to keep it securely on the boards.

My horse puts its foot through its stall gate while rolling, and proceeded to kick and fight to get her foot free, and nearly killed herself. We found her at 6 am in the morning, the stall door and stall gate kicked to pieces, and her on three legs. We got very, very lucky. She was alive and not seriously injured.

Bottom line? Do the math.

It's very easy for a 1200 lb animal that panics easily, to kill itself in a stall before anyone knows about it.

Bogey2
Jul. 26, 2009, 10:16 AM
Perhaps injuries to horses are so common around you that it no longer shocks you

well there you go....you should quit while you are ahead and lighten up yourself.

Coreene
Jul. 26, 2009, 10:16 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: SO sorry that my comment was offensive to you. Yes, I've been around horses for many many years and yes, I hear about freak accidents like this and it STILL boggles my mind how these things happen. Perhaps injuries to horses are so common around you that it no longer shocks you, but it shocks me. I wasn't trying to lessen the tragedy or mock the people involved in some way. Lighten up!

And yet that it exactly how it came across, that you were indeed trying to do just that.

Bravestrom
Jul. 26, 2009, 10:19 AM
That is so sad - how devastating for the person that found him. condolences to his rider, owner and all those that loved this horse.

ESG
Jul. 26, 2009, 11:13 AM
Most sincere condolences to Shelly and Pat and all who knew Dominion. I know exactly how it feels to lose one suddenly, and for no good reason. Godspeed Dominion. :cry:

egontoast
Jul. 26, 2009, 12:30 PM
Yes, this is sad and I feel bad for all involved but seriously, how does a horse break a leg in a stall and bleed to death? I hear of similar stories and it always boggles my mind.

How insensitive. Stuff happens no matter how much you love and nurture your horse. Good luck to you on your judgemental pedestal.

PhoenixFarm
Jul. 26, 2009, 02:15 PM
If you don't know how something like this can happen then you have been truly blessed in your ownership and life with horses. Count your blessings and be grateful for them.

Condolences to all his connections, so devastating. :sadsmile:

FWF
Jul. 27, 2009, 07:06 AM
I have been happily following this pair advance. There are some nice videos on Youtube. My heart is broken for all. Godspeed Dominion.

ann kitchel
Jul. 27, 2009, 02:45 PM
Dominion shattered his femur and consequently nicked the femoral artery and "bled out". They didn't know that until the necropsy. They were all there when it happened and the vet arrived in a heartbeat and stabilized him until they realized that it was time to let him go. He didn't suffer.
A terrible loss. Shelly loves her animals more than anything. Very sad.

eam2145
Jul. 27, 2009, 04:47 PM
I have known Shelly for years and her horses and animals are always her first priority. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Shelly and all Dominion's humans, I know he meant a lot to a lot of people.

shea'smom
Jul. 27, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hugs to all involved. There is nothing worse than seeing your beloved horse in this kind if situation. Bless his heart.

Donella
Jul. 27, 2009, 06:32 PM

Well, it does honestly happen. A horse at the stable where I work fell while running in the winter(I saw her and dealt with her) and broke her humerus. The swelling was out of this world. When the vet got their half an hour later, he said she was bleeding to death as the break severed a main artery and that was why the swelling was so massive.

We just lost a yearling filly to a freak catastrophic broken cannon bone two weeks ago. Believe me, if you ever see a major bone shattered via an xray, you will understand how other tissues in the area can be obliterated. Our vet used the work "implosion" to describe it. These things DO unfortunately happen.

CHAXOR
Jul. 29, 2009, 08:18 AM
Does anyone have an address or email for Shelly ?
You can PM me if you like.
I would like to send her a card and flowers.
Thanks

kookicat
Jul. 29, 2009, 08:27 AM
:( So sad. Hugs to all of his people.