PDA

View Full Version : Bummed...new Schleese arrived, doesn't fit me :(

asb_own_me
Jul. 24, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'm bummed....the new (to me) Schleese arrived today and it doesn't fit me :cry: I don't like where the saddle sets my leg, and there isn't anything I can do about it. I just wanted to vent. I've really been looking forward to having a nice saddle that fit both me and Atlas, and I don't have it.

Cooper
Jul. 24, 2009, 07:34 PM
I'm bummed....the new (to me) Schleese arrived today and it doesn't fit me :cry: I don't like where the saddle sets my leg, and there isn't anything I can do about it. I just wanted to vent. I've really been looking forward to having a nice saddle that fit both me and Atlas, and I don't have it.

What do you mean there is nothing you can do about it? Did you purchase it from Schleese?

MILOUTE55
Jul. 24, 2009, 07:51 PM
i don't think so... it says "new (to me)"... I believe it is a used saddle, right?
Because if it was purchase custom made from Schlesse I'm sure they'll fix it/replace it right away!

Quest52
Jul. 24, 2009, 08:08 PM
what doesn't fit you about it?? and now you have to sell it hmmm........ ;)

Ambrey
Jul. 24, 2009, 09:00 PM
If a change of knee pad or flocking would help, Schleese can help!

If not... well, saddles are kind of hit or miss if you're getting them used on your own :)

asb_own_me
Jul. 24, 2009, 09:19 PM
No, not new from Schleese...new to me, purchased from a private seller. Otherwise, yes, I'm sure they'd fix it! I'm just bummed. It's so nice. I wanted it to work out!

hoopoe
Jul. 24, 2009, 09:36 PM
my saddle fitter, who is also an independent Schlesse rep, can do adjustments etc.

Contact a saddle fitter . It may be a simple tweak. It should not matter if you are not the original owner.

Not every saddle style fits every rider and a 17 in one maker is not the same as a 17 in the other. Saddle fitters see a lot of riders sitting in a lot of saddles. Your fitter may be able to fix the problem or explain what the issue is and make a suggestion for what product to look for and what size.

Pat Thrasher
Jul. 24, 2009, 10:10 PM
By all means get in touch with Schleese and see when they have a rep in your area. These saddles are very adjustable, and a lot can be done for just a few hundred dollars. Also, they usually have a pretty good stock of used saddles themselves, and will often trade out for one of their own. It might take a little while longer but you can get a really really nice saddle for a lot less than new if you're willing to work with their fitter and be persistent.

Pat Thrasher
Jul. 24, 2009, 10:26 PM
I wanted to add this as a separate post because it might go on a bit.

I have a Morgan who is the devil himself to fit in a dressage saddle and don't even think about a jumping saddle ain't gonna happen.

Add to that-- I am short-ish, with a very short thigh bone, need a narrow twist and wide seat and my left hip joint doesn't quite work right, congenital anomaly. So I don't fit most off-the-rack saddles, and my horse fits NO off-the-rack saddles I know I've done them all at great expense anyone need a dressage saddle? ;)

After trying a friend's Schleese I bought a used one from Schleese. We messed with that saddle for six months and it never worked. We did everything you could think of, it wore a path to Toronto and they wore a path to Chester County, and it just never quite worked.

Finally Jochen Schleese was in the area and I dragged horse and saddle two hours north and we had a serious come-to-Jesus with The Man, The Horse, and The Saddle.

I ordered a sorta-semi-custom saddle. It came, and Jochen came too and fitted it to Horse. (The other saddle turned out to be perfect for my husband and his horse which was serendipitous.)

So I started schooling seriously and Horse started zooming through the work and changing his musculature so fast we were having to have the saddle re-fitted every 60 days. He went from unable to canter under saddle to Third Level, schooling Fourth, in 15 months. Granted, we had excellent training and coaching too! but without the saddle, there would have been nothing.

Now we're down to twice a year for fittings. Yay! Maybe next year, just once. Still the same saddle. All we do is tweak the tree width and the flocking a bit to make sure the balance is absolutely correct.

You have to be really persistent with Schleese saddles in large part because they are so adjustable. There are a million ways to tweak and fine tune them, and there will be a point where you hit on the right formula for this saddle and this horse and this rider and then it's plain sailing. But it's not like being a perfect size 8 and buying just anything off the rack which if you can do that more power to you but I bet you can't. Most people will wear clothes that don't really fit rather than mess with them, but I can't do that with my horse because if his saddle doesn't fit he bucks me off. And I'm too old to hit the ground that hard. (She says having just recovered from broken ribs from riding another horse.....)

I have custom boots, too. Oh, I don't wear them often! but they're there. For my short, wide feet, 18 inch calves, short tibia, dicey left ankle, slight bunion...

ToN Farm
Jul. 24, 2009, 11:03 PM
Pat, is a Schleese rep still coming to Pa. because I was told they are not coming to NJ anymore since the local saddle shop here is doing the fitting.

Sabine
Jul. 25, 2009, 12:20 AM
No, not new from Schleese...new to me, purchased from a private seller. Otherwise, yes, I'm sure they'd fix it! I'm just bummed. It's so nice. I wanted it to work out!

no worries- call Schleese...Jochen will help you! PM me if you need help!

Maude
Jul. 25, 2009, 08:32 AM
Hi ASB, I have a Schleese Wave and love it. I have a very long femur and every saddle I've had puts my leg farther forward than I want. If this is the problem, you can send the saddle to Schleese and they will (for a price) take the saddle apart and put on extended stirrup bars. (This is what I have-no more fighting to keep my leg under me). This sets your stirrups back 1". You can call them and talk to a rep. They can help you figure out what isn't working for you. You can also email pictures and a video. Sometimes if the saddle is not balanced/fitted correctly to the horse the stirrups will not hang in the correct spot relative to the deepest part of the seat due to the inbalance. Another trick is to put leather cheekpiece keepers or the figure 8 breastplate anchors on your stirrup bars, then put your stirrups on. This will set your stirrups and leg back a bit. As far as knee blocks go, Schleese has 3 sizes to choose from if yours has the velcro ones. I prefer the large tapered Wintec block (again due to the long thigh) so for $43.00 that is what I use. When you call Schleese, give them the serial number of your saddle and they will know exactly how your saddle was originally made, balance (forward, mid or rear). The good news is that if you unable to make the model you have work, Schleese will take used Schleeses on trade. Good luck. You may also PM me for more information. And, no, I'm not an employee, just a very happy knowledgeable customer!

asb_own_me
Jul. 25, 2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for all the input! I really didn't think that this was a problem that could be fixed, but Maude nailed it. The moment we picked up a trot, my legs went shooting forward. When I put the leathers on yesterday, I thought to myself that the bars looked like they were awfully forward in relation to the seat, and once I started to ride I felt it instantly. I didn't know they could put in different bars. I'll get in touch with them and see what can be done.

There's a number engraved on the stirrup bar and another embossed under the flap. Which is the one I need?

AND - I need opinions here. Who thinks that it's worth it to have Schleese do this work on it, and who thinks it would be better to simply find a different saddle? How much would this stirrup bar work and some reflocking cost (ballpark...and yes, I'll email Schleese and tell them what's going on, but I might not hear back until Monday).

Thanks!

Ambrey
Jul. 25, 2009, 12:24 PM
The reflocking/fitting is pretty reasonable- I think under $200? That's assuming you don't get convinced that you NEEEEED the really gorgeous $200 girth they sell as well ;)

No idea on the stirrup bars, you'd probably need to ship it to them for that- you could give them photos and a wither tracing and they could do it all at once, but you miss out on the really detailed fitting work (they have you ride and then come back and look at the sweat marks).

asb_own_me
Jul. 25, 2009, 05:44 PM
Got the Schleese girth with the saddle ;) So I'm safe there!

tarragon
Jul. 25, 2009, 11:42 PM
I bought a used Schleese not long ago myself. I bought the same model and size as my trainer's saddle that I rode in regularly so I knew it would fit, but when I tried my new saddle it was a bit off. Our saddle fitter checked it out and the panels were overstuffed, making it too narrow for my mare and changing the balance. Once it was fitted correctly to my mare it fit me perfectly as well.

Maude
Jul. 26, 2009, 07:40 AM
ASB, Hi again. The serial number is on the flap. Just FYI, I had another Schleese Wave that I had modified a couple of times by Schleese. I had the seat opened up and changed the balance of the saddle, so not all models are exactly the same. Be sure the saddle is placed in the proper spot, girthed up and balanced correctly on the horse first. Then sit in the saddle and let your legs hang down. If the stirrup hangs in front of your leg, then you would benefit from the extended stirrup bars. My current Wave (I sold my other one to a student who fits in it perfectly) is a 17.5 with the shoulder relief panel. I tried it and it was fitted to my mare. I was OK until I sat the trot, then my leg wanted to come forward (a problem I've always had due to that stinkin' long thigh bone). I chose to send it back to Canada with the Schleese fitter and have the extended bars put on. If I had the saddle made, I could have added the extended bars for $195.00. Since I had them put on a saddle that was already made they had to disassemle the saddle to change the bars. This cost $495.00 I believe (maybe $295.00-can't remember) plus return shipping. So well worth it!! You can also get a saddle fit kit from Schleese and have a friend help you with the measurements. If you choose to get the bars changed, they can adjust the tree and flock it for your horse at the same time. I measured a student's horse for a new saddle and it fit just about perfectly when it arrived. The rep tweaked it the next time she was in our area. Again, good luck. You will probably talk to Miriam Boutros. She is great.

Pat Thrasher
Jul. 26, 2009, 03:54 PM
Pat, is a Schleese rep still coming to Pa. because I was told they are not coming to NJ anymore since the local saddle shop here is doing the fitting.

Natalie is still coming to Pennsylvania, and as far as I know Jochen still goes to central NJ to Michael Barisone's barn. I know they've had some changes in their rep population in the last year, it's a hard job, always on the road. You pretty much have to get in touch with them and say you need a fully-trained rep and gather a bunch of people together and jump up and down a bit :D .

As of this week, we are now in a leased private barn (we are leasing it, that is) that has room and facilities to host fittings, so I will be starting the process of getting Natalie to come in October or November.

asb_own_me
Jul. 27, 2009, 01:18 PM
Miriam says they can't put the extended stirrup bars on this saddle :( Starting the search over!

xQHDQ
Jul. 27, 2009, 04:16 PM
I think Ronni at Skylands in Ringoes, NJ works on Schlesse's in addition to Hennigs. I had her come out to work on my saddle (Hennig) and found her very knowledgeable and professional.