PDA

View Full Version : Adequan for dogs - anyone had no improvement?

Guin
Jul. 16, 2009, 08:31 PM
So I just finished Shadow's twice-a-week loading dose (he got nine doses in all), and I am really not seeing much, if any, improvement in his hips. Does it just not work on some dogs? Should I continue for another couple of months once a week, or just give it up? I'm willing to continue it, but only if it's going to do some good.

Anyone?

RidesAHaflinger
Jul. 17, 2009, 06:51 AM
I gave 5 out of 8 shots of the loading dose to my 12 year old Dobie in May-June this year and darn near killed her with it. There was quick and noticeable improvement in her arthritis but she got sick (vomiting and diarrhea) after every shot. Midway through the loading dose on my vet's advice I started giving her Previcid every day to try to ease the nausea. That reduced the vomiting but did not stop it entirely. She went totally off her feed, got very weak and debilitated and I thought I was going to lose her. :eek: I discontinued the shots and gradually she has recovered. She's doing well now on an as-needed dose of Previcox.

I had my dog in the vet's this week for a check-up and he said that she is the first in his experience to have this adverse reaction to Adequan and he's going to report her case to Novartis, the manufacturer.

I have a friend who is almost finished with the loading dose on her elderly lab and she has not seen much if any improvement. I realize that these two experiences are anecdotal and that the majority of dogs do seem to improve. So I guess my answer to your question is that it can be a useful therapy but clearly there are some dogs that don't benefit from it and a few (very few hopefully) that can't tolerate it at all.

ETA that Previcox should never be given in conjunction with Adequan. We allowed more than two weeks to pass between the last Adequan shot and starting the dog on Previcox.

Laurierace
Jul. 17, 2009, 08:45 AM
If you don't see any improvement there is no reason to continue in my opinion. You should have seen something by now if it was going to help.

le_dressage
Jul. 17, 2009, 10:51 PM
Maybe you might want to also try it with a feed supplement. I had my dog on adequan once a month and coseqein. It seemed to help to have him on both. Just a thought. Good luck

rodandmicha
Jul. 17, 2009, 10:55 PM
I'm not huge on supplements because you just never know what works...however: I have a 11 year old lab with a torn ACL (not quite sure on the medical terminology here), she had surgery about 7 years ago, now she is really arthritic. Last year she was in really bad shape and I had her on prescription meds and she was still no better.
A friend recommended Cosequin DS and I thought what the heck, give it a chance...this dog wouldn't be able to do steps or get on and off the couch, now she will come for 2 hour trail rides with us....it REALLY worked for her and I would recommend it to anyone, it's worth a try.

Jaegermonster
Jul. 17, 2009, 11:18 PM
It didn't do squat for my 13 year old Aussie.
I started him on a feed through supplement, the dog one at www.glcdirect.com
and he went from a dog that hardly moved if he didn't have to to a crazy fool like he always was, even plays with his tennis ball again and runs around the yard.
From the dog page, click on order now and scroll down the order page to the 2 week free sample. The supplement comes in powder or capsule but the free sample only comes in capsule.
I started him on half the recommended dose for a dog his size, and within a week it was a 100% improvement over what he was. A friend of mine said he is a different dog, it turned back the clock 5 years.

JulieD
Jul. 18, 2009, 09:12 AM
I second the recommendation for GLC...I have an arthritic 8 yr old Lab who the Cosequin and Adequan did not help but started him on the GLC and presto he is no longer limping!

Roulett
Jul. 19, 2009, 12:03 AM
My 13 year old Great Dane went down -- she was unable to stand on her hind legs so
we started the shots but I saw NO improvement - the best I could do was have
a sling made to lift her on to her hind legs -- she did well with our helping her but
passed away from complications as a down dog. My vet would come to the house
once a week but no matter what we tried, nothing worked...

Of course, Dane's don't really make it to 13 that often so I was glad to have her
for the time that I did.