PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get Rid Of Chipmunks In The Barn?

katie16
Jul. 16, 2009, 09:51 AM
We are becoming overrun with chipmunks! For several years we have had chipmunks around the property, but this year they have decided that inside the barn is a good place to be! They are literally running up and down the aisle, in and out of stalls! We have from 1-3 in the barn at any given moment. They are not too afraid of people - you can get withing a few feet of them. They have learned that horses can be messy eaters and drop grain! Fortunately, they grain bins in the feed room are solid and closed, and they have not figured out how to chew through the bags that are stacked in there - yet!

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the critters?

spotmenow
Jul. 16, 2009, 10:02 AM
Get a cat. My two very friendly barn cats regularly kill all the chipmunks, rabbits, barn swallows, mice, and moles they can find anywhere on my property. They even got a squirrel once. They line them up in the tack room so I can dole out the appropriate amount of treats:)

katie16
Jul. 16, 2009, 10:37 AM
Get a cat. My two very friendly barn cats regularly kill all the chipmunks, rabbits, barn swallows, mice, and moles they can find anywhere on my property. They even got a squirrel once. They line them up in the tack room so I can dole out the appropriate amount of treats:)

You'll love this . . . we have a cat!

Actually a few years ago we adopted two from a shelter that just has cats. We purposely took two that they thought would be hard for them to adopt to a family as we wanted them for barn cats. One turned out to be a GREAT hunter and the other not! Unfortunately, the mighty hunter was killed by coyotes this spring. At least we think that's what it was as we found his fur/hide buried in our ring and we do have lots of coyotes in our area. So we are left with the one that does not hunt AT ALL! This one literally sits and watches, but has no interest in catching (or even playing with) them.

I guess we just have to get another one! I am a bit reluctant because the cat we have now is very territorial with other cats and dogs and I don't want her to chase a new cat away.

JSwan
Jul. 16, 2009, 11:19 AM
Get a hawk caller and play it in the barn.

Here's a site for game callers. Actually - if you like to watch wildlife you might find these useful - but for God's sake be careful during hunting season! Some folks use turkey callers to lure coyote, turkey callers are used during spring gobbler, etc. I don't want to find out any of you knuckleheads got shot by accident!

But a predator call can be useful for deterring prey species or birdwatching.

http://www.gamecalls.net/catalog/Hawk_Calls-77-1.html

Enjoy.

Equine Studies
Jul. 16, 2009, 05:27 PM
Do you want to just deter them or actually kill them? If it's deter them a) good luck and b) I googled the same thing
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=deterrent+chipmunks&meta=&rlz=1W1ADBR_en&aq=f&oq=

If you want to kill them, a cat might work. PM me if you want a few other options that I will not post here.

msj
Jul. 17, 2009, 09:05 PM
Equine Studies, you've got a PM.

katie16, you must be a mind reader cause I was planning on doing the same post. I think I've only got one that has taken up residence around the barn and house but I don't want more. I already tried putting down rat poison where the dog or horses couldn't get but I'm guessing the little bugger doesn't like what I put down as I'm still seeing the bold little guy. I think yesterday he thought he'd stop and chat as I was cleaning buckets! :eek:

I can't do cats anymore as Momma raccoon eats all the cat food and in the past has moved in and had babies. :sigh:

appdream
Jul. 18, 2009, 12:07 AM
I have heard that peppermint oil will deter them. Sprinkle on cotton balls and distribute them around the area.

Good luck!

Equine Studies
Jul. 18, 2009, 10:57 AM
msj-got it and replied.

Huntertwo
Jul. 18, 2009, 05:54 PM
Ummm -You could always try leaving the cute little guys alone???

What the heck is wrong with having Chipmunks? :confused: Why would anyone put down poison for them????:no:

I always find it amusing (and sad) when I read of horse/farm owners get up in arms over the littlest of creatures. sigh...

Vitriolic
Jul. 18, 2009, 06:08 PM
Ummm -You could always try leaving the cute little guys alone???

What the heck is wrong with having Chipmunks? :confused: Why would anyone put down poison for them????:no:

I always find it amusing (and sad) when I read of horse/farm owners get up in arms over the littlest of creatures. sigh...

I know it is tough, especially after Alvin and the Chipmunks, but get rid of them because they chew up things like wires and burn your barn/house down.

My cats chase them, but I have heard radios deter chipmunks and raccoons.

msj
Jul. 18, 2009, 07:43 PM
I know it is tough, especially after Alvin and the Chipmunks, but get rid of them because they chew up things like wires and burn your barn/house down.

My cats chase them, but I have heard radios deter chipmunks and raccoons.

I think the little bugger at my barn likes either Country Music or the weather band station. Every time I see him I have the radio on! :sigh:

Hunter Two, I don't like to have to put poison down for any of God's creatures but I'm damned if I'm going to let the little bugger get into the house or barn and chew up wires or insulation etc. and cause considerable damage as Vitriolic as indicated. I'd love to be able to trap him in a Have-a-heart trap and take him miles away but I tried that already and he's a smart cookie. Now maybe you don't have any regard for personal property but, frankly, I've got quite a bit of $ tied up in my farm and I'm not about to lose it a cute furry little Alvin critter or a raccoon. I'd really like him to be dinner to Mrs. Fox. At least she doesn't invade my barn.

rcloisonne
Jul. 18, 2009, 08:28 PM
All wiring in barns should be run though flexible metal conduit. You can never completely eliminate rodents that chew through wiring no matter how diligent you are. Electrical shorts due to frayed wires are a leading cause of barn fires.

Equine Studies
Jul. 18, 2009, 09:14 PM
Google "chipmunk damage" and you'll find out why you don't want them around. A few photos at the link below.

http://www.bbwildliferemoval.com/repair.php

I absolutely agree that they are cute-I absolutely think they are cute at the campground and at the park. They are no longer cute when you have to spend thousands having your foundation repaired after your house sinks from all the tunnels they have dug underneath it. I don't care if they eat my bulbs or tomatoes, but I don't think I need to let them destroy my house.

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 18, 2009, 09:39 PM
According to this website that I found, there are several things you can use, including coyote urine, smoke bombs, or a spray called Ropel, just to name a few. You can order it online:

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page398.html

Or here is a powdered product to mimic fox urine, that claims to work:

http://www.critter-repellent.com/chipmunk/chipmunk-repellent.php

There are a bunch of other sites with information out there, just google "chipmunk repellent".

Renae
Jul. 18, 2009, 09:45 PM
Trap them- live traps (drown them when you catch them), rat traps (both the snap kind and the sticky traps). Set up a trap with a 5 gallon bucket in a way that will trick them to fall into it, putting just enough water in the bottom so that they will drown.

Learn to become a good shot with a pellet gun. Chipmunks are excellant pratice. When we were kids my brother shot 200+ of them one summer in our garden near a large patch of woods, there were still more.....

Get a ratter. My Jackapoo (Jack Russell/Miniature Poodle) will out-rat, out-chipmunk, out-gopher, out-groundhog, and out-possum any cat. Jack Russell, Rat Terrier, Toy Fox Terrier, and so on- several breeds are deadly weapons on small mammals. Best is a dog that knows he is a barn dog and lives in the barn or is otherwise most usually in the barn.

TrueColours
Jul. 18, 2009, 10:39 PM
We are inundated with squirrels and chipmunks. Having hundreds of black walnut and chestnut trees around the farm certainly attracts the little varmints in droves ... :(

Not only have they eaten through our soffits on the house to get in between our kitchen ceiling and bedroom floor to lay more little varmints, they have eaten their way into the 2 large sheds to piss all over the new, encased in cardboard, storage cabinets my husband sells, eaten through boxes of promotional baseball caps, shredded the cardboard boxes, had more babies underneath the cabinets on the bottom shelf (wont that be a nice surprise for a client to find baby chipmunk remnants on his new cabinet!), crapped all over the tops of said boxed cabinets, wreaked havoc in my barn chewing through the panelling, and burrowing into the insulation, stuffed black walnuts into every bale of hay I have, etc, etc, etc

Our dog loves chasing them thank goodness and my husband shoots them as well. But I also know if you shot 30 of them, 30 more would move in tomorrow so its pretty well a vicious circle all the way round

While its a pleasant concept to allow all of the little creatures to live in harmony and live a long and pleasant life, if they just stayed the Hell outside and didnt infringe on our house, my barn and our property/revenue generating items in the sheds, I know I'd look a whole lot more kindly on them than I do right now

JSwan
Jul. 19, 2009, 09:37 AM
I don't have any problem with lethal control of wildlife, especially if the person has tried nonlethal methods first, and the animal(s) poses a danger to property or other animals.

But I must say I am absolutely appalled by the suggestions to drown or poison.

If someone started a thread on such methods being used on a dog or cat you people would be screaming for the perpetrator to be sent to a cold dark cell.

Yet if the animal isn't one you personally find cute or cuddly, you blithely recommend torturing the animal(s) until it dies. With nary a thought to the fear and suffering it endures.

And some of you have the audacity to call hunters inhumane? :rolleyes::no:

nightsong
Jul. 19, 2009, 10:46 AM
You'll love this . . . we have a cat!

we are left with the one that does not hunt AT ALL! This one literally sits and watches, but has no interest in catching (or even playing with) them.

I guess we just have to get another one! I am a bit reluctant because the cat we have now is very territorial with other cats and dogs and I don't want her to chase a new cat away.

Isn't the PURPOSE of a barn cat to save you from chipmunks and other critters? You have one that doesn't work. Get one that DOES instead.

lcw579
Jul. 19, 2009, 01:45 PM
I don't have any problem with lethal control of wildlife, especially if the person has tried nonlethal methods first, and the animal(s) poses a danger to property or other animals.

If someone started a thread on such methods being used on a dog or cat you people would be screaming for the perpetrator to be sent to a cold dark cell.

Yet if the animal isn't one you personally find cute or cuddly, you blithely recommend torturing the animal(s) until it dies. With nary a thought to the fear and suffering it endures.

I wholeheartedly agree with you JSwan. I also find the use of glue traps to be utterly appalling. The thought of any animal struggling to remove itself until it either gets its mouth stuck in the glue and suffocates itself or is dispatched in some way by its captor is just horrific. Kill them if you must but do it quickly and as pain and fear free as possible.

kookicat
Jul. 19, 2009, 01:57 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with you JSwan. I also find the use of glue traps to be utterly appalling. The thought of any animal struggling to remove itself until it either gets its mouth stuck in the glue and suffocates itself or is dispatched in some way by its captor is just horrific. Kill them if you must but do it quickly and as pain and fear free as possible.

What they said x2.

Renae
Jul. 19, 2009, 01:58 PM
Oh please. Drowning them in a bucket of water is a much faster and less torturous way to go than being killed by a barn cat.

And I hunt myself, I have never called hunting inhumane, not sure where you got that from JSwan.

kookicat
Jul. 19, 2009, 02:06 PM
Drowning isn't a humane way to go at all. :no:

JSwan
Jul. 19, 2009, 03:23 PM
Oh please. Drowning them in a bucket of water is a much faster and less torturous way to go than being killed by a barn cat.

No it isn't. Drowning is horrific and terror filled... and takes a long time depending on the circumstances.

You may not have called hunting inhumane but plenty of people on this BB do. Just wait until deer season and watch some of the very same people who think nothing of letting an animal drown - slowly - curse those of us who hunt.

If drowning is so humane then why is it considered animal abuse? You want your dog put to sleep like that?

msj
Jul. 21, 2009, 07:55 AM
Uh, why don't you lovers of the cute little chipmunks can go castigate the person trying to rid of rats in her attic. So far on that topic everyone is trying to help that person get rid of them. I'm sure a trainwreck is needed there just like you've tried to cause here. :sigh:

After all squirrels are no more than rats with fluffy tails and chipmunks are mice with nicer looking coats and fluffy tails. :sigh: