PDA

View Full Version : Getting WAY too much attention when wearing breeches and boots in public?

GGsuperpony
Jul. 6, 2009, 04:10 PM
Does anyone else find that they get, er, way too much male attention when wearing breeches and boots in public? Particularly from those categories of males who are prone to loud and demonstrative expressions of their unwanted interest in you, usually shouted across a parking lot?

I have gotten to where I don't even stop to get gas on the way to the barn because I get everything from catcalls to shouted graphic puns involving what thinking of me riding horses makes THEM think about. It doesn't scare me, and it doesn't really offend me, but I just don't like everyone in the parking lot staring at me, even if I do gracefully deal with the situation.

Now, I think it's worse for me because of where I live. I live in a, well, er, developing neighborhood near downtown Atlanta. The gas stations and grocery stores usually have a small cadre of folks who appear to loiter for a living. I love living in this part of town; despite how it looks, most everyone is friendly and I never get any trouble from anyone, except if I am wearing tight pants and black boots. I love, love, love my neighborhood because of its character and I can take the bad with the good, but I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this problem? Perhaps it is not as localized as I think it is.

I can keep avoiding the situations that do make me uncomfortable, but I wondered: is this a Big City problem, or a Men With No Manners problem, or possibly some combination thereof? Anyone want to share their experiences?

kateh
Jul. 6, 2009, 04:19 PM
Well, I've walked down a street in the middle of Pitt's (city) campus in breeches and boots and haven't heard any catcalls, although I have gotten some sideways looks and a couple of stares. If it bothers you too much, buy a pair of basketball pants (the kind that snap up the side) and wear them over your breeches until you get to the barn.

Carrie D
Jul. 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
I have always gotten the stares from people like I am wearing some insane costume or they have the urge to point out what I am wearing like I had no idea how I dressed before I left the house. Now a couple times I have gotten the sarcastic question of where my horse is from when the popular fashion trend of riding pants and boots hit NYC. People think that I am wearing the pants to be trendy and have no response when I tell them where my horse is actually located. It was completely different when I was in Ireland. Everybody had boots and riding pants. Nobody thinks you are crazy.

Giddy-up
Jul. 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
My 1 male co-worker was all wound up about my chaps & spurs. All he could talk about. I don't know why. I tried to explain they weren't very cool or sexy (I have 1/2 chaps too). He still wouldn't shut up about them. One day I happened to have them in my car so I brought them inside for "show & tell". All dirty hairy dried sweaty gross. And my spurs were my German pointed ones & had hair clumps & gray-ish dirt crudded on the metal (I normally don't keep my stuff like this, but it was going home to be cleaned & emphasized my not sexy point quite well :winkgrin:). Co-worker started gaping so I asked if he'd like me to kick him in the ribs once to try the spurs out.

He hasn't mentioned the spurs or chaps once since show & tell day. Somehow I don't think it lived up to his fringy sexy chaps & clanky spurs "ride me cowboy" image he had going mentally. :lol:

starrysky
Jul. 6, 2009, 04:34 PM
I occasionally get an odd look, or a question of "oh, do you ride" (no, I just love how these tight pants make my behind look) :no: but around here, no one is rude or disrespective. I also live in the suburbs, and not closer to the city, so that may have something to do with it.

gottagrey
Jul. 6, 2009, 04:51 PM
ages ago I would often change into my riding clothes at work, walk down the streets of Georgetown (DC) to my parking lot OR every now and then I would hit a bar post riding - I don't recall getting many cat calls but I do recall that a year or so later the equestrian "LOOK" hit the streets bigtime.. I'm sure I had something to do w/ it:lol::lol:

Prima Donna
Jul. 6, 2009, 05:26 PM
I have always gotten the stares from people like I am wearing some insane costume or they have the urge to point out what I am wearing like I had no idea how I dressed before I left the house. Now a couple times I have gotten the sarcastic question of where my horse is from when the popular fashion trend of riding pants and boots hit NYC. People think that I am wearing the pants to be trendy and have no response when I tell them where my horse is actually located. It was completely different when I was in Ireland. Everybody had boots and riding pants. Nobody thinks you are crazy.

Ahh Ireland. We were actually right in style there :)

I get everything from strange looks to dirty comments. The gas station seems to be an especially popular place for comments of the gross variety. And I like to think that my riding pants aren't that tight or that I wear a longish t-shirt over them. Oh well.

OnceBitten
Jul. 6, 2009, 05:30 PM
I get mostly sideways glances. Sometimes a full-out stare, which always makes me wanna say something like, take a picture it'll last longer! :lol: Haven't had any issues with catcalls or anything like that, though, but maybe i'm just lucky :)

Valeureux
Jul. 6, 2009, 06:21 PM
I just get odd stares all the time. Nothing really bad. I've gotten really used to the stares though so maybe I'm just not noticing anything else odd. :)

KristieBee
Jul. 6, 2009, 06:34 PM
haha i work in beverly hills, so if i nip out without having changed from my riding lesson that morning, mostly i just get nervous/'ive been caught posing' looks from women in their prada 'equestrian chic' who have clearly never been near a horse. :D

SarahandSam
Jul. 6, 2009, 06:35 PM
I mostly get stares rather than comments, except from old men, who ask if I'm a jockey.

A male co-worker got all hot and bothered though when I came to happy hour one Friday after a lesson. I did give in to the urge to hit him with my crop for *real* and it apparently left a good-sized welt, according to him. He shut up for a while. (;

TheHorseProblem
Jul. 6, 2009, 06:35 PM
You all must look better in your breeches than I do! Just wait 20 years. The comments sill stop.

Or, they will turn to horse stories. Everyone has one, apparently.

AliCat
Jul. 6, 2009, 06:47 PM
I hate wearing horse clothes in public. I live in a horsey area (Somerset/Hunterdon NJ) so people are used to seeing it, but I'm not as thin as I was in my teenage days :lol: I don't even like wearing breeches at the barn!

rizzodm
Jul. 6, 2009, 06:53 PM
Abercrombie is now selling breeches as skinny jeans:lol:So soon they will be everywhere:lol:

rideitlikeuluvit
Jul. 6, 2009, 07:06 PM
I was standing in line at Subway waiting to order a hoagie when a guy walked in and asked if I rode horses. I said yes, and he replied by saying, "Well, that was my first guess. Don't think you would like to know my second one." I politely smiled and thought to myself, 'thank god I don't have a crop in my hand."

hellerkm
Jul. 6, 2009, 07:10 PM
Years ago there was a group of us who rode in a lesson on the same night, we were all friendly and started to go to dinner after our lesson. We went to the same local pub each time and the guys sitting at the bar would whistle and catcall, we laughed, they obviously could not SMELL us as we all rode hard and were not the cleanest when we got there!! I always found it funny.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 6, 2009, 07:20 PM
I can keep avoiding the situations that do make me uncomfortable, but I wondered: is this a Big City problem, or a Men With No Manners problem, or possibly some combination thereof? Anyone want to share their experiences?

Yup...big city...men with no manners problem...or just people not used to seeing riders.

I live not far from a city...(45 min to Philly)....but a lot of horse farms and general farms around. I can walk into a Wawa, Walmart, gas station and NOT get any cat calls or other unwanted attention just because I'm in boots in breeches. And chances are...I will not be the only one in breeches. Folks are just used to seeing people dressed like this. Now I have gotten hit on and unwanted attention but I often was just in jeans...or more often in a skirt...when it happens.

NOW if you REALLY want to git hit on.....wear black chaps. That get's them going far more than breeches and boots.;)

Savoy 8
Jul. 6, 2009, 07:22 PM
All I can say is I UNDERSTAND!! It's annoying but funny too!

Does anyone else find that they get, er, way too much male attention when wearing breeches and boots in public? Particularly from those categories of males who are prone to loud and demonstrative expressions of their unwanted interest in you, usually shouted across a parking lot?

I have gotten to where I don't even stop to get gas on the way to the barn because I get everything from catcalls to shouted graphic puns involving what thinking of me riding horses makes THEM think about. It doesn't scare me, and it doesn't really offend me, but I just don't like everyone in the parking lot staring at me, even if I do gracefully deal with the situation.

Now, I think it's worse for me because of where I live. I live in a, well, er, developing neighborhood near downtown Atlanta. The gas stations and grocery stores usually have a small cadre of folks who appear to loiter for a living. I love living in this part of town; despite how it looks, most everyone is friendly and I never get any trouble from anyone, except if I am wearing tight pants and black boots. I love, love, love my neighborhood because of its character and I can take the bad with the good, but I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this problem? Perhaps it is not as localized as I think it is.

Mimi La Rue
Jul. 6, 2009, 07:35 PM
I hate going out in public with breeches and boots. The times I did, I usually got nothing but strange stares and people probably had no idea why I could possible be dressed that way other than just wanting to. The only place I will stop at now when wearing my riding attire (other than a tack store) is my local grocery store and then I have a 25lb bag of carrots in my cart so it shouldn't be too hard to put everything together.

Tiffany01
Jul. 6, 2009, 07:54 PM
I got made fun of and I was boiling mad!!!

Sancudo
Jul. 6, 2009, 07:59 PM
Ah, I love living in a horsey town. Went to the Subway today in between rides in my breeches, tank top boots with spurs, and no one even looked twice.

luckeys71
Jul. 6, 2009, 08:02 PM
I go to WalMart in my breeches and boots all the time. I get a few odd looks and lots of questions about was I riding, where do I keep my horses, and lots of horse stories. I've had a few ladies tell me my boots were really "cute". I'm older now and don't really care what people think. I'm, also, a Zookeeper, so have been known to go into stores (and Dr.'s offices) with my uniform on and smelling quite gamey! I'd have no problem going anywhere in my riding clothes. Their problem, not mine. Can't say as the cat call problem has been one I've had, but I could see it being a problem for younger girls. SarahandSam, as far as the co-worker problem, that is sexual harrassment and if it was bothersome, you should have told him so, even though he should have known better.

WindyIsles
Jul. 6, 2009, 08:02 PM
It was completely different when I was in Ireland. Everybody had boots and riding pants. Nobody thinks you are crazy.

One of my favorite things about being in Ireland is I can walk around in boots and breeches covered in horse hair and slobber and no one as much as gives me a second glance. :)

Also one of the reasons why I adore my college - Hollins - large portion of the girls ride. First semester Freshman year I had about 15 minutes between the end of my riding lesson on campus and start of my next class. Routinely run into that class covered in horse hair and still fully dressed in riding clothes. No one looked twice at me. 1/3rd of the girls in that class were dressed likewise.

mortebella
Jul. 6, 2009, 08:23 PM
I live in the south, which Atlanta is just not part of anymore. :lol: I would still have expected to run into some redneck hassling, but, instead I think maybe it works the other way somehow. Not that I haven't heard Southerners hassle women :(. Although I definitely get noticed, none of it has been nasty so far. Most of it is quiet, and although it's got a "hubba-hubba" vibe to it, it's also got a real undercurrent of scared little puppy. And I'm never carrying a crop and I don't wear spurs. It's typically, "How are YOU today? Oh, am I in your way?" followed by a stag like leap out of my path. And this is at the gas stations. They seem to be unsure if I might not be a motorcycle cop. :D

Jul. 6, 2009, 08:30 PM
A male co-worker got all hot and bothered though when I came to happy hour one Friday after a lesson. I did give in to the urge to hit him with my crop for *real* and it apparently left a good-sized welt, according to him. He shut up for a while. (;

You took your crop into a bar for happy hour? :eek: What kind of coworkers do you have?! :lol::lol:

AGRHJRider
Jul. 6, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hehe, i am a guy and even I have gotten cat-calls and lewd comments and im very masculine. I tend to wear my boots and breeches everywhere though... walmart, grocery store, mall, restaurants and bars. Ive got pretty tough skin and find them really funny for the most part.
Ive had people ask me if im a jockey, if i am an umpire. Ive had people ask me, "what are those fancy boots for"?
If people are genuinely interested in it I will politely reply, and ive actually even gotten a few kids in for lessons by wearing my boots and breeches out.
If i get a rude comment or question im usually very very quick to reply back with something snarky...lol
I had some jerks ask me what those pretty girls boots were for and i quickly replied they were my "ass kicking boots" and that i usually wore them to keep the blood off my pants..lol, that shut em up quick.

To play the devils advocate though, there is something very sexy about a woman wearing boots and breeches :winkgrin:

Kaelurus
Jul. 6, 2009, 08:37 PM
Abercrombie is now selling breeches as skinny jeans:lol:So soon they will be everywhere:lol:

LOL, link please!! This I have to see :lol:

GGsuperpony
Jul. 6, 2009, 08:40 PM
Oh, I forgot the motorcycle thing!

I noticed that if wear riding tights and half-chaps, they are not as likely to make lewd comments. It took me weeks to figure out why they still stared but didn't holler. Finally one of them says to me, "So... What kind of motorcycle do you ride?" and I realized they weren't as, um, enthusiastic with their attention because they thought I was a tough biker chick. Haha! So that's one way to avoid the excitement, too... :lol:

Sancudo
Jul. 6, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hehe, i am a guy and even I have gotten cat-calls and lewd comments and im very masculine. I tend to wear my boots and breeches everywhere though... walmart, grocery store, mall, restaurants and bars. Ive got pretty tough skin and find them really funny for the most part.
Ive had people ask me if im a jockey, if i am an umpire. Ive had people ask me, "what are those fancy boots for"?
If people are genuinely interested in it I will politely reply, and ive actually even gotten a few kids in for lessons by wearing my boots and breeches out.
If i get a rude comment or question im usually very very quick to reply back with something snarky...lol
I had some jerks ask me what those pretty girls boots were for and i quickly replied they were my "ass kicking boots" and that i usually wore them to keep the blood off my pants..lol, that shut em up quick.

To play the devils advocate though, there is something very sexy about a woman wearing boots and breeches :winkgrin:

Oh yeah, I do get the "are you a jockey" one a lot. I may be thin, but I'm also 5'11. Haha.

My favorite- coming back from an IHSA competition, I walked on campus to get a new key, and got "Are you a fencer?!" Apparently beige breeches and white show shirt look like a fencing uniform! Who knew???

HunterEquJumper
Jul. 6, 2009, 09:12 PM
I get the catcalls and whistles when i'm wearing street clothes which is a PITA, but I guess it happens to a lot of people! I don't wear my breeches and boots out all that much. I'd hope it wouldn't happen to me though because if the person were close enough I might just be the one to punch them in the face! :lol:

I can control myself, for the most part, but lewd comments about "riding" might put me over the edge.

Don't guys like that realize your not going to get a girl that way??? It's so stupid because if they just said something nice instead of being a perve....maybe they'd actually meet someone. :eek:

mswillie
Jul. 6, 2009, 09:29 PM
You all must look better in your breeches than I do! Just wait 20 years. The comments sill stop.

This!

I get stares but I think it's because I'm covered in dirt, smell bad, my hair is soaked and plastered to my head, I wear clogs instead of boots (don't like driving in them), the bottom of my breeches are black and the butt is brown.

I think they're staring because they're measuring their distance from me and scoping out the nearest emergency exit in case I get too close. :lol:

SarahandSam
Jul. 6, 2009, 09:33 PM
You took your crop into a bar for happy hour? :eek: What kind of coworkers do you have?! :lol::lol:

Teachers. d; Actually he was a friend of mine and basically a big goofy puppy-dog sort of guy, so I didn't get bothered by it as sexual harassment, just figured a good sized welt would serve him right!

I used to have to take the bus to lessons when I didn't have a car... and the bar was on the way home from the barn, hence my still having crop in my barn bag when I went in. I try to avoid carrying it on the street; that would be a little too Paris Hilton. (;

TheOrangeOne
Jul. 6, 2009, 09:41 PM
Someone really stupid made a comment and I informed him that I do not ride horses, my boyfriend is just really into S&M. That drunk frat boy didn't know what hit him.

brummelhorsefarm
Jul. 6, 2009, 09:50 PM
Our farm is located on the side of a busy road (some trees, just planted more) and almost everyday we get load shouts from passing cars. Usually we wave and laugh it off but it becomes problematic when jumping courses and such.

delznnord
Jul. 6, 2009, 09:58 PM
Ugh. Sometimes I get some unwanted attention as well, and I live in the suburbs. Mostly just strange looks. But one time very recently at a gas station this happened:
Random Guy: You ride horses, huh?
Me: Yeah, how can you tell?
Guy: Because of your boots.
Me: (trying to get away quickly) Yeah, they're really beat up.
Guy: That's cause you're a hard rider.

WTF?! He then proceeded to tell me all about his wife's boss who trains racehorses or something. Sigh...

kateh
Jul. 6, 2009, 10:36 PM
OMG I forgot the best "attention" story ever! My one friend was walking from her dorm to a lesson in boots and breeches and this girl literally took a picture of her (via cell phone) in the commons area. The best part? The picture-taker has absolutely no room to criticize anyone as she routinely wears a cape around campus!

luckeys71
Jul. 6, 2009, 10:37 PM
After having just read the part of the thread about "posers" and Abercrombie & Fitch selling boots and breeches, on the TV show House, his boss Cuddy was wearing breeches and boots (obviously fashion ones) at the hospital.

snaffle635
Jul. 6, 2009, 11:25 PM
GG, clearly your problem is you don't have enough cellulite. You must actually look GOOD in your breeches and boots. You should try eating a LOT of twinkies. It has worked for me. :-)

Long Spot
Jul. 6, 2009, 11:38 PM
OMG I forgot the best "attention" story ever! My one friend was walking from her dorm to a lesson in boots and breeches and this girl literally took a picture of her (via cell phone) in the commons area. The best part? The picture-taker has absolutely no room to criticize anyone as she routinely wears a cape around campus!

Ha! Watch her picture show up in the back of Vogue under the "Don'ts"!

I just love standing line and getting the "You must ride horses, huh?". If I'm in a good mood I just nod and smile and avoid a conversation. If I'm feeling mean I'll answer with "And you must be a Rocket Scientist.".

bookwormdude
Jul. 6, 2009, 11:46 PM

Ditto on the jockey question...and had a fellow in line at the grocery store remark that it was a "lovely day for polo, wasn't it"? Different time, different grocery store had the cashier ask what sport I played...responded "jumping horses"...she nodded sagely and said, "I thought so..." : )

bookwormdude
Jul. 6, 2009, 11:47 PM
Ha! Watch her picture show up in the back of Vogue under the "Don'ts"!

I just love standing line and getting the "You must ride horses, huh?". If I'm in a good mood I just nod and smile and avoid a conversation. If I'm feeling mean I'll answer with "And you must be a Rocket Scientist.".

"No....scuba diving."

Addison
Jul. 7, 2009, 08:19 AM
MSWILLIE...Excellent!!!!!!!!!

Ecks Marx The Spot
Jul. 7, 2009, 08:27 AM
I have gotten a comment or 2 from fellow horse people, like oh you been out riding? nice day to ride etc.

Funniest one ever was ( in Southlake TX) a man asked me if my ( field boots) were FISHING boots. I LOL pretty good at that one.... with ties in the front of the boot? WTF?

I'msanotheronewhodoesn'tlooksohotinbreechesanymore ....... so not many comments!

Pony+ an inch
Jul. 7, 2009, 08:37 AM
Having lived in Atlanta and the metro area, yeah, there are some areas I've been in where the cat calls don't stop. Honestly, though, I think you could find it in every city. Atlanta is at least big enough that are enough nice, clean, non-cat calling areas to balance out the lesser ones.

Now that I live in a small town, I frequently get odd looks. Part of that is because I'm one of the very few students at my school to ride seriously, and I have to make it work with my schedule. So if it means changing into boots and breeches before class, attending class and then zooming off to the barn, so beit and I'll deal with the townies' hollering. I've only had one understanding professor who got what hunter/jumper was, who totally respected the fact I had to work at keeping my schedule balanced and didn't gawk at me in boots and breeches, and who on occasion asked me how my riding was going. Go figure, he and his wife were professors at SBC. He was already well habituated to it haha.

cnvh
Jul. 7, 2009, 08:45 AM
I never wear tall boots out in public-- always school in my riding "sneakers" and half-chaps-- but I regularly stop at the grocery store/gas station/etc. wearing breeches. I only ever had a problem once, at a convenience store late at night on my way home.

There were two guys in there who were of an, umm, racial persuasion who seem to like big butts, of which I unfortunately have. :eek: Got the standard "hey baby," "how you doin?" stuff while I was checking out... then as I walked past them and out of the store, Mr. Neanderthal lets out with "mmm, you got a big ol' @ss" just as the door was closing behind me.

WTFH?!?!

Oooo, I was so furious, I sat in my car and shook... had it not been 11 o'clock at night and the two Neanderthals were the only ones around, I had to restrain myself from marching back in there with pepper spray in hand to ask him if he cared to repeat himself. :mad::mad::mad:

Seriously, who RAISES people to be such @sses?!?!?! (I take that back, it's insulting to the donkeys...)

theblondejumper
Jul. 7, 2009, 08:50 AM
Yes! Twice in once week even. I was walking around the town where I go to college (my car is parked 1/2 mile from my dorm so I have to walk there and back in my riding clothes). Just in my basic breeches, paddock boots and half chaps. One day I got catcalled and heard some guy yell, "D@mn look at that @ss!" and a few days later I was standing at a traffic light when a car pulled up next to me as it was making a right hand turn and the creepy man in it looked at me, jeered and said, "What are you? A p!mp?"

I mean what do you say to these things? I wasn't sure if I should be offended by the catcall or flattered and I was just shocked by the other comment made to me by the creepy man!

Parrotnutz
Jul. 7, 2009, 09:03 AM

Or, they will turn to horse stories. Everyone has one, apparently.

So true......just wait and you will no longer have reason to be annoyed. LOLOL

EBONY LYNN
Jul. 7, 2009, 09:05 AM
I have gotten more compliments on my half chaps/paddock boots I wear with my jeans to hack around in than when I wear expensive normal everyday boots!

Women come up to me all the time and compliment my " stylish boots" - hahah!

GGsuperpony
Jul. 7, 2009, 09:52 AM
Cnvh, I feel your pain. The last crazy one I got was as I walked toward the door after paying for my gas, a young man in over-sized pants and a heavy costume-jewelry necklace said, "Mmm, girl, you walk in here like that, thing'll jump up! Shoooooot..." Um, wow.

I just squared my shoulders and said, "You're ALL class, aren't you." Ha! :lol: What's great is that it broke the ice and he actually blurted out a giggle. Stopped him in his tracks!

Beau Cheval
Jul. 7, 2009, 10:00 AM
I would say I get more attention while wearing my school uniform in NYC then while wearing breeches in my area around the barn. I can feel people paying attention, but usually not displaying their attention loudly.

WorthTheWait95
Jul. 7, 2009, 10:05 AM
I get more comments from women then men. They always want to know where I got my FAHbulous boots! :lol: I tell them they're Sergio Grassos and they can look them up online.

tullio
Jul. 7, 2009, 10:11 AM
Once I was ran in the grocery store in breeches, boots, and half chaps and a little old man asked me if I was riding a horse. Like, the actual words he said were, "Are you riding a horse?"

I couldn't help it. I laughed and said.... "Well, not right now!" Fortunately he laughed too. I didn't mean to be snotty but the way he asked just cracked me up. :)

I try not to wear riding clothes out in public. Don't enjoy being stared at.

IrishWillow
Jul. 7, 2009, 10:20 AM
I live in Dallas, and honestly.. we have so many H/J and dressage barns around here, its just nothing to see someone at the grocery store, at a restaurant, etc dressed in breeches and tall boots. So I think all the guys around here are pretty used to it!

Or I have a big ass... LOL

halla
Jul. 7, 2009, 10:37 AM
I had breeches and half chaps on in a coffee shop in the city once, and one of the guys there asked me, quite seriously, where I got the boots because he really loved them and wanted to find a similar pair. Otherwise I've been left alone. All the hipsters here wear tights as pants, so compared to the breeches are demure, and I see boots just like riding boots all the time one people. And anyway, there are always a million weirdos wandering around the city, most people know it's best to avoid them ;) I was *never* bothered walking home from polo late at night with my mallet, and no one would sit next to me on the train out to it (before I even smelled).

What's weird is I have actually seen girls stop and chat with guys in response to "hey baby, you look fine" type comments, and after observing for a while I think a lot of them are actually compliments that aren't meant to be creepy. I think some guys just aren't good at judging who will respond well to them. A friend was telling me about a stand-up act she saw where the comedian was saying something about how he liked big girls, and then addressed a white girl in the audience as one of the big girls he liked. He meant it genuinely, but as she put it "you don't say that to white chicks, they don't like it".

SmartAlex
Jul. 7, 2009, 10:49 AM
Boy I guess I've been lucky. All the comments I've received have been "nice day for a ride isn't it?" and "Where do you keep your horses?"

I don't live in a particularly horsey area, and I'm the only person I've ever seen out an about wearing breeches and boots. I try to look neat in a fashionable equestrian sort of way. I guess I have too much cellulite for cat-calls... or it could be the "F@#&-OFF" I have tatooed across my forehead. :D just joking....

tenacity
Jul. 7, 2009, 11:31 AM
I live in Chicago and frequently run errands on my commute home from the barn. I'm not even sure people would realize that I was wearing riding clothes. Anyway, I don't feel like dealing with the stares or attention, so I take off my half chaps and boots at the barn, throw on shoes, and wear athletic or sweatpants over my breeches for the ride home.

TheHorseProblem
Jul. 7, 2009, 06:15 PM
After having just read the part of the thread about "posers" and Abercrombie & Fitch selling boots and breeches, on the TV show House, his boss Cuddy was wearing breeches and boots (obviously fashion ones) at the hospital.

Anyone watch Mad Men? The riding scenes are filmed at my barn.

Thomas_1
Jul. 7, 2009, 06:37 PM
You could always try this:

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1439/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1439R-1095606.jpg

If you don't like it, then stop doing it!

kateh
Jul. 7, 2009, 07:53 PM
Another girl on our team was wearing her tall boots around campus one day to try to break them in some. She got one girl, dressed to the 9s, come up to her and ask where she got them. My friend says "Uh.. the tack store," the girl nods and goes "Ooh, I've never heard of them. Is that some little boutique?"

JanM
Jul. 7, 2009, 08:12 PM
Years ago I was taking riding in summer school (at college) and because my position was bad I was told to ride bareback, leaving the unavoidable inner thigh nasty dirt and sweat marks and I was little self conscious about it. (the helmet hair didn't help either-I looked terrible). One day going into the dorm and waiting for the elevator a prospective student and her family kept staring at me, and I really wondered if they thought I was incontinent. About then the girl and her mom started raving about the fact that she could take riding at school, and wanted to know all about the riding program and the costs. I think the riding part was the deciding factor.

A place I used to work has a fellow employee that was really strange. She saw a man come in wearing tiny clip on western spurs and immediately started pointing out to the rest of us that the spurs were a potential weapon. My boss just looked at her and told her that if she was worried about little tiny spurs she just shouldn't give him a piggy back ride.

Trakehner
Jul. 7, 2009, 09:22 PM
I grew up wearing boots & britches and think nothing of hitting the grocery store on the way home from the barn. It's always funny to hear, "Do you ride?" People are usually pretty nice (I'm 6'2" and have no problem telling a'holes where to go if I hear a snarky comment).

The only comments I've ever even rarely heard is "fag?" between two guys walking behind me...this produced some very threatening responses from me using wonderful profanity.

equest
Jul. 8, 2009, 11:47 AM
Lots of stares, but more surprise and intrigue like "where do you go to ride around here?" I don't wear tall boots, just britches and paddock boots.

I live in dense suburbia and people are shocked that there are still horse barns around. Some people have come up in the supermarket and inquired about where they can take their kids for lessons. I should have my BO make up business cards for me, seeing as I am a walking advertisement :)