View Full Version : BdH Saddles

Jul. 6, 2009, 12:03 AM
I'm in the market for a new saddle and I like the look of the BdH but was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it? I ride different horses all the time so I need something that will fit a very wide variety. I also tend to like saddles with a shallow seat and the BdH looks as though it may be a deep seat. Any thoughts?

Jul. 6, 2009, 09:02 AM
I have two of them and really like them both! I ride a huge number of horses here on a daily basis but all are TB's and TB crosses (appendix, paint and app). The seats are fairly deep but seeing as how green the stock is that I ride it's a real help. I had originally planned on selling the one that didn't fit but in the process decided to keep both I liked them so much.

Jul. 6, 2009, 11:09 AM
i have the BdH special edition and i LOVE it...it seems to fit a wide variety of horses and the quality of the leather is comparible to that of a $2500 saddle. I would say the seat is a medium depth. If compared to a butet I would say its deeper than the flat model but less deep than the deep model. They do seem to run about a 1/2" small so I would try before you buy to make sure you have the right size. I love the saddle because I feel secure in it without feeling locked in. The leather took oil beautifully and is a gorgeous color with nice grip to it.

If you have anymore specific questions Id be glad to help! I would reccomend this saddle to anyone!

Jul. 12, 2009, 12:55 AM
JUST purchased a BdH special on Tuesday!:yes: I have tried over a dozen saddles on my ottb ... NOTHING fit him, and I was quite discouraged. Now, 8 months later, I picked up the BdH on the off chance that the information I'd read about how it tends to be a good saddle for horses with withers was true. This is literally the FIRST saddle that is wide enough for his shoulders, and provides enough spine/wither clearance. May be coincidence, but my horse has been with me since September '08 ... and Thursday morning (the first time I rode in the saddle) was the FIRST time he's ever reached his head down and trotted with his nose on the ground.

Another interesting thing about it for me; I've been riding in a Wintec cc, and I can say that about 50% of the time when jumping I get left behind in some sort of way. Well, Thursday and Friday I did not get left behind ONCE. Coincidence? I don't think so.;) Something I love about it is it has a cut out flap on the bottom flap for a closer contact. It allows me to use the girth strap on my pads without the flap getting in the way!:D The ONLY down side for me is the seat is not a pillow. Had a County that fit my horse HORRIBLY, so i had to sell it, that was SO soft. The BdH strikes me as comfortable, but not cushy. Cleaned and oiled it for the first time today, and already it's darkened a little bit. 2 rides on it and the flap seems to be softening already.

Does not seem like it will fit a wide QH type. Fits my guy perfectly, fits the 3 year old WB mare I'm riding pretty well, and fit another ottb at the barn I teach at pretty well. The tree/panels seem to be of a shape that none of the other off the shelf saddles had (Pessoa/HDR/Ovation/Toulouse/Circuit/Ashland/Collegiate/Wintec/Bates)